Short scale bass review

They want 2300.00 for that bass. Or 2900 Canada :canada: :moneybag:. That’s there web site price. That way too much. I pass.

3 Likes

If you want a left handed version all they have to do is place an inverted plate with the electronics on the same body and neck with an inverted nut. That’s the smart design feature. That way the controls would not be in the way… but you are probably right regarding the balance.

3 Likes

It is very expensive. I wouldn’t buy it either. I respect the craftsmanship involved in instruments and I think that ought to be charged for but I’m pretty sure that in any expensive line bass a big part of the costs are for the logo. That happens just about with all brands with a high reputation. I love the classics but it’s nice to see new design approaches.

3 Likes

I’m all for cool designs, heck I’m simping over an ESP Phoenix, but for 2300 I can build a custom Fender or get a Rick or Music Man almost. There’s some competition at that cost.

Cool idea though.

4 Likes

I agree - and I think that smart buyers can find great instruments for a lot less nowadays if they’re willing to forgo a famous name on the headstock. Modern CNC machines and CAD mean companies can create instruments with incredible tolerances cheaply - then just drop in decent hardware, pickups and/or EQ from a reputable manufacturer and you’re in business. I think that’s where Harley Benton and lower end Ibanez are cleaning up.

And while we’re finding good deals - modeling FX units, amp heads and combo amps are now incredibly close to the tube amps they simulate. I was considering a Line 6 unit from 2012 - <$50 steal - but I listened to a 2020 model - both modelling the same Fender Bassman, and the '20 is dramatically better. Moore’s law and what not - just a lot of progress. The latest modelers are so close, that I bet well over 90% of people couldn’t tell real from modelled in a blind comparison. Remember when science proved that somelliers can’t tell the difference between red and white wines? I’ll be the first to admit nothing looks cooler than a vintage Marshall, Bassman or Vox - but I know I wouldn’t be able to hear the difference.

With a lot of hobbies - the push is always for the latest/greatest/newest stuff. But with music there is a huge reverence for vintage stuff - watches are that way too even though a $20 Timex quartz is an order of magnitude more accurate than a vintage '68 Omega. And I’ve noticed a trend with musicians of forming an opinion on equipment/manufacturers/brands and then never re-evaluating it no matter how much time has passed or how much things have changed - ultimate first impressions. Not all by any means - but for a significant percent.

4 Likes

To your point, I’m waiting delivery on an Ibanez SR600E, which has an ash body, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, and Nordland pickups. All for under $700. I could spend a lot more for similar materials and build quality.

Competition is fierce in this market.

4 Likes

I completely agree with you and your OMEGA example hits the spot, particularly talking about a '63 Pan Pie Constellation, hahaha, which I love for their mechanics. I recently bought a 1992 Epiphone Accu Bass with damaged pickups and pots for $45, otherwise in great condition. I’m waiting to receive a soldered kit (CTS pots and Fender P-bass MIM pickups) I paid $80 for. That’s a hobby thing but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a new Squier at least at my player level. They work very well and plenty of reviews proof it. Even the best bass wouldn’t make me a better player. Same thing with cameras.

2 Likes

Cool! I like the idea of this hybrids! Let us see it! I just mentioned a 1992 Epiphone Accu Bass I’m rebuilding for $125. I temporarily borrowed the electronics from my Squier Mini Bass. This is the bass I use a lot for the courses.

3 Likes

Interesting. I have a used Ibanez SR coming in and I will be replacing the electronics.

5 Likes

Upper Horn.
I forget it often too, when typing out a post, but I recalled it right away when reading this.

3 Likes

It’s funny because for $2300 none of those would be in my top five :slight_smile:

Well maybe a MM (Bongo!) but I would need to try one a lot first.

Honestly though I’m happy in the $1k range. A whole lot of great basses to choose from.

3 Likes

You can double that in Oz @howard !
And then a Rick comes along and all perspective goes out the window :joy:

3 Likes

I’m happy in the 1k range too, good quality, nice woods, I don’t need the flash. If I were to spend that much would probably be on a Spector or ESP to be honest. Not looking to

4 Likes

Yeah, ESP would be one of my choices, or high end Yamaha or Ibanez, or Dingwall, or if I really felt like I wanted a Fender style that day, one of the boutique handmade shops here like Vellmor or Momose.

2 Likes

A grand is plenty.
If I had zero basses, but know what I do now.

SBMM Ray4 = $299 or less
Aguilar MM pick Up = $120
ESP LTD B-4E or F-4E = $600

Total $1019. Ok, I need an extra $19, Plus Tax, but a $1000 bass still has tax.

3 Likes

Yeah. There’s just so many good choices in the $500-$1k range. Things really open up there.

3 Likes

If I had $1000 and starting over

ESP LTD B204 SM - $500
Squire Paranormal Jazz - $429

3 Likes

I’d be more or less exactly where I am now except I would have had to have outwaited the market to pick up my BB734A used.

Yamaha TRBX604FM - $320 used (that’s what I paid for mine - 35k JPY)
Yamaha BB734A - ~$600-700 used (price from Reverb sold listings)

though an ESP B4E is really tempting. I really like the woodgrain F-series too.

3 Likes

Absolutely nothing wrong with the B204 SM, but for the $100, I highly prefer the feel of a neck thru body on the B-4E. BTW, I own this bass, and love it. I do really love the shape of the F, and appreciate the F-4E being the same wood grain oil finish, neck thru, but with the sick F shape.
I also have the ESP LTD TA-FRX 204 which is the Tom Araya of Slayer Signature model, with the F shape on steroids, so that satisfies my need for an F-4E really, even tho it is not a neck thru.

3 Likes

I really messed up on a deal for one of those Slayer basses a few weeks ago. $400 and by the time I had made a decision I couldn’t find the ad anymore :pensive:

2 Likes