Short scale basses

Haha yep. I think I am going to take my DAI and some 'phones with me next time and see what the medium scales sound like through that. One thing that cracks me up about trying things out in guitar stores is the $4k of head unit, EQ and cab they usually plug you in to. Yeah, that’s exactly what it will sound like in my apartment, uh huh.

Everyone sounds like a rock star on a guitar store stack. It’s just that some (like, say, me) sound like drunk, bad rock stars :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good thinking. Eliminate uncontrolled variables! :man_scientist:

4 Likes

Thanks for the info - I can’t find them locally but they look like really cute little basses. They certainly sound great in the vids I have found and people seem to love them.

3 Likes

That should have been HOFNER, not Horner short scale bass

2 Likes

Never mind the playing not matching the audio - I’m not sure why they bothered with the cables. By the looks of their ‘playing’ nobody deserves to hear what they’re doing. That ad would genuinely put me off their guitars if that’s how much they believe in their own product.

2 Likes

@howard
Those 5 string short scale basses are pretty damn cool.

@JoshFossgreen
I had a chance to play a Fender Mustang short scale at GC the other day. Yes, very sexy.

I haven’t had a chance to play one, but the Kala U Bass looks pretty cool. They even have models with round wounds. They do a solid body too but those start a $999.

2 Likes

Yeah the Mikro looks awesome for the price, maybe unbeatable. And I am sure that ESP is amazing. ESP has an outlet near their shop and music school here that I probably shouldn’t let myself go to.

Kala apparently makes great stuff - I have a coworker that has a U-Bass and loves it.

My only concern about a shortie 5-string is that the B string would be too flubby. I mean, it’s pretty flubby on a lot of 34" basses. In fact I am not sure how easy it is to buy a 28.5" B string at all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had a MIM Mustang PJ that I couldn’t get the neck straight on, so I sent it back. Now have an Epiphone Allen Woody that is very nice except for the tuners. Looked at Jackson, comfy and crappy. The tuning knobs hit each other. Looked at the Gretsch G2220, very nice. Looked at the Squier SS Modified Jazz which was also pretty nice but a lot of variation in quality in ones I’ve seen. The Dean EVO SS bass looks interesting but haven’t seen one in the flesh. Didn’t like the Epiphone EB0.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing that stuff @saradave2 and welcome to the forum! Sorry you had that neck issue on the Mustang PJ, I really want to get one of those before they stop making them even though I don’t need one at all… they’re so cute!

2 Likes

Just bumped across an interesting Short Scale Bass site for those that are interested:

http://www.shortscalebass.co.uk

Has a number of articles, tips, videos, etc.

HTH and all best, Joe . . . :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Picked up a 3 month old MIM Mustang PJ yesterday for $420. Going to put on some flatwounds and get a good setup and then start alternating with my Epiphone.

3 Likes

I recently bought a [Danelectro longhorn bass], which is short scale. It’s my first bass, so I can’t compare it to others, but it is super light, the neck is really comfortable for my small hands, and the guy who made the set up (a professional who makes guitars and violins) loved it - said it has great sound and quality and was very surprised by the reasonable price (around $400). And, the bass looks really beautiful - its a new release of a bass originally from 1958 and made famous by John Entwistle of the Who.

5 Likes

Pictures?

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

4-string Electric Bass with Plywood Body Construction, Maple Neck, Pau Ferro Fretboard, and 2 Single-coil Pickups - Copper Burst
2.64 kg (5 lb 13 oz)

8 Likes

those knobs are amazing

2 Likes

And now vertical! :-):grinning:

2 Likes

Also, note the full cut-out - can access all the frets

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @erg

Nice-looking bass, too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

And Tom Petty.

I really like this website. And it looks like Scott Whitley has his bass being made by Chowny https://chownybass.com/ First Look at the Chowny SWB-1 Bass Range! - YouTube

3 Likes