Short Scale, Flatwounds

I want that bass ! Could not find any Ibanaz TMB 30 so went with the Mitchell.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of these. A cheaper string in round wound is the D’Addario XL220S in 43-90 or the larger 160s. The La Bella’s are flats and very smooth while the 220s are round but easy on your fingers.
Cyrus

1 Like

Update: the flats are flat out awesome. Love, love, love the feel, and the sound is great and very versatile still. I’ll probably never go back. The difference in feel alone has me sold. I let a buddy play them, and he went out the very next day and bought a set of flats for his five-string.

3 Likes

We like what we like.

I have used both however I love tge flat tape wound.

Rich

1 Like

I know I’m resurecting a thread.

I have a question about something I know very little about : flatwound strings. I have only one bass in flats, it is my Ibanez AGBV200A :

I really like this instrument. This is a short scale (30") semi-hollow body bass, currently stringed in D’Addario Chromes ECB81 flatwounds in 45/100. I like the string tension (pretty light), the sound and the feeling, but there is a big problem with this combination of instrument and strings : the bridge won’t intonate properly because the saddles would need to moove a bit further closer to the pickup.

So, my only solution at this point is to change the strings, in the hope that the new strings will fit the bridge range better …

What I’d like with this bass is make it sound like a double bass. It’s quite close already, but I want to take advantage of the string change to get as close as possible to the upright sound.

So :

• short scale
  • flat wound
  • double bass sound
  • not D’Addario Chromes

What would you recommend ? I’m wondering about tapewounds.

2 Likes

For 30” scale check out Labella 760 HBBs.
They are made for 30” Hofner Beatle basses, and much better than the Hofner and Pyramid (same things) strings.

They do have two different gauges to consider.
I have the heavier and the E is quite boomy, been thinking about swapping out just that string with the lighter gauge.

2 Likes

thank you @John_E , that’s interesting !

I hate this. It’s happened with some strings to me before. It’s weird because you wouldn’t think the specific strings would matter; the only theory I have come up with is maybe it is due to tension and neck geometry - i.e. higher tension actually shortening the bridge->nut distance into the correct range, with lower tension stretching out a little and making it tough to intonate forward far enough. Not sure though, I only know it is frustrating.

I don’t know really … It already happened to me, but it’s still a very rare case. The saddles just don’t have enough travel. It’s very frustrating, indeed, especially in this case where I like the feeling and tone of the strings ! I feel I’m forced to choose another strings, against my will.

I may give a try to the Labella’s, but a string set is not so cheap so I hope I will not be disapointed. kinda hazardous hit or miss.

1 Like

At the time I actually considered finding a bridge with more travel. But with a tune-o-matic that’s harder.

yeah and that’s the Ibanez version of the Tune-o-matic, and in this particular case it has a finish very specific to the “V” versions, which have been produced only during two years … I don’t think it’s a real option to change the bridge, in this case.

I’m thinking about modifying the saddles to give them more travel, but it’s not safe at all.

Well, the first thing I have to do is try another strings and hopefully get the thing intonate properly …

1 Like

Me too but my problem is usually not being able to go back far enough on the E string with mainly Labella flats. Happens a lot. The fix is to press down real hard just past the saddle and it works itself out, usually.

in what direction does it cause a problem ? saddle near the pickups, or near the back of the bass ?

This particular problem is needing to go flatter, towards the back of the bass and maxing out travel.
I have seen others on talkbass post about this with Labella Flats E strings.

I’m not sure to understand, sorry :confused:

here is how the bridge and strings look :

Think regular bass bridge, not this type.
Saddles can’t go back far enough to intonate E.
Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

I tried flatwounds and didn’t like them. My fingers kept wanting to stick to the strings, and I found that very distracting and irritating.

2 Likes

Me too, they are just too sticky feeling for me. Strong dislike of the feel.

1 Like

You boys need to listen to your mum and wash your hands before playing bass.

Flats feel fantastic.

3 Likes