Short scale vs. long scale - going back and forth

Howdy all, Adding my two cents…

As I posted in the GAS forum the other day (link below), I just got a new Fender Mustang Short scale with the P/J configuration with the switch to toggle between pickups. Other than needing to put the “LaBella Deep Talkin’ Bass” flat wounds on it, (which arrived yesterday but I’ve yet to do - as like @PamPurrs I am putting Flats on everything) I am enjoying the short scale Bass so far.

https://forum.bassbuzz.com/t/gas-gear-acquisition-syndrome/4836/1195

Similar to @JT (though not as “childlike” LoL) my fingers are on the shorter side, so I wanted a short scale for that reason. I ended up convincing myself that millions of players with normal to shorter fingers learned on a 34" scale Bass so I could too, even though I had considered a short scale since day 1 of my Bass journey. I think like @JerryP and others who said they have both short and long scale basses, I will bounce between both depending on my mood that day.

Although it has only been a few days with it, I don’t think she is going to give me tones that my J or P can’t give me, but I love that it is in my collection, if for nothing more than it is another bass in my arsenal.

In closing, there is a quote I read a while back which I have quoted before that said, “Everyone should have 12 Basses, and MORE if you actually play the Bass!” LoL So, we are all sane in our quest for more horses in our stable, tools in our shed, family members in our house, or however you justify it.

As @Lanny would say, “Keep Thumpin!”

7 Likes

I have a short scale Mustang PJ bass and I love playing it as I have really small hands but lately I’ve been wondering if i could manage a long scale ? :thinking:
I like the look of the Yamaha TRBX304. I just don’t want to spend money on a bass that could be too big for me. I’m only 5ft 1 and I have a muscle weakness disorder which means I cant manage heavy stuff. Unfortunately, I don’t live near any guitar shops to try one out. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Short scale does not necessarily mean lighter. It often does, maybe even usually, but there’s a lot of other factors that go in to it. Basically you need to take care when it comes to weight. It’s also often difficult to tell as weights are sometimes not posted for instruments (especially the heavy ones).

For a full scale bass, the TRBX304 is not particularly heavy - it’s under 4kg. However you can definitely get lighter. If you like the 304 I would recommend checking out the TRBX604 or most of the Ibanez SR line - both are generally lighter than the TRBX304 (and 504).

Another good choice for light full scale basses is the Warwick Rockbass Streamer LX4. Mine was only 3.4kg and they are fine instruments, well made and not terribly expensive.

I would recommend trying as many as you can in person (both long and short scale) to see which fit you for weight. It can be tough.

3 Likes

Short scale bass offer unique perspectives aside of playing. I do prefer the slightly relaxed string tension and a bit deeper slower bass. It’s a great refreshment after playing a 35” scale bass.

Like every thing else, when you have other options sometimes you get inspiration.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t rule out medium scale either. Ibanez and Yamaha have made some fantastic 32” scale basses over the years. Talmans, Motion Basses, etc. Very light, sound and play great.

4 Likes

Ironically my Les Paul scale guitar is heavier than all my basses :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My 32” medium scale Yamaha motion bass ii project will be an epic project next year.

3 Likes

Gretsch hollow bodies are medium scale and fabulous.

3 Likes

I’ve got a couple of medium scale basses in my eBay watch list but I’ve been pondering on how they would play.
I’ve had a couple of short scales and never gelled with them so I was reluctant to commit to another “mistake “ as it were

2 Likes

To me, Medium Scale feels about the same as long scale except “more fun”.

4 Likes

holy shit that was funny

3 Likes

mediym scale is just long scale with less work for me. on my SS…i need to ‘flip the switch’ so to dpesk

3 Likes

I may have to pull the plug and buy a cheapie if the stars align and the price of hay drops

3 Likes

I have two short 30” scale basses and two long 34” scale basses, as well as a 32” scale Squier CV Jaguar. I agree it feels and plays much closer to long scale than short scale, just a little easier to stretch in the lowest fret range.

4 Likes

Yeah! They are neat. I like them.

2 Likes

Medium scales are really versatile and easier to get around the fretboard.

2 Likes

Interesting discussion. Let’s see if I can add anything to it.

So, I have the blessing of being able to collect Japanese basses. I lived there for years (though I am back in Canada now) and I love vintage instruments.

I have several short scale (anything under 30"), lots of medium scale (32"), and even more regular scale (34")… I even have a few extra long scale basses (35" scale). I play them all once in a while.

I have average size hands… big palms, small-ish length fingers.

I think I can say with some authority (as I play all of them) that 1) hand size is NOT indicative of what scale length you buy/play. This is a myth perpetuated by lots of people who write as if they know and actually often don’t. This has been said to death but Victor Wooten, Flea etc. do not have huge hands (unlike Jaco’s spider-esque ones!). I think it is safe to say Victor is one of the greatest bass players to ever grab an instrument.

1. It is actually not so hard to switch back and forth between different scale lengths. Perhaps if you were a really speedy and precise player you might notice it but when playing your everyday, average bass songs it is not so hard to switch back and forth. When we are learning (as I certainly still am!) I might be advisable to stick to one bass/one scale for a while but variety is the spice of life.

3)As mentioned a few times before above in the thread, even though I find myself playing the short scale basses sometimes, I find myself yearning for at least a medium scale but more likely a long scale bass sooner than later. I’m not sure why but 34" just feels right to me.

As a passing remark, I might just add that playing lots of instruments with different neck profiles, scale lengths etc. is such a delightful hobby. If you can afford to buy a good used bass, go for it! Buy a few! If they are in good shape you can likely always just sell them again and break even having had a chance to feel another unique instrument!

Sorry if that was too wordy. Just wanted to chime in.

7 Likes

It’s definitely a target rich environment. My wallet is lucky I am a minimalist :rofl:

So many amazing choices.

4 Likes

I like vulpeck’s take on short scale, it fits the average person like Pino or @John_E fit on the 34” scale bass.

1 Like

I have small hands, they are the same size as my 11 year old daughter’s, if that tells you anything. I have a Squier Jazz bass (34") and an Ibanez miKro (28.6"), the latter of which I’ve been losing control of to my daughter.

Anyway, I can play the full scale even with my freakishly small hands. I do do a lot of “micro shifting”, and rely a lot on 1-2-4 fingering.

Having said that, the miKro is a LOT of fun to play, I can do 1 finger per fret in the first position, it’s light, and the sound is not at all bad.

3 Likes