Short scale vs. long scale - going back and forth

Welcome, @peter.hanus. Short and even shorter scale basses are a lot of fun to play. We have some Mikro fans here.

2 Likes

Thanks @MikeC . The miKro is a cool little bass.

2 Likes

I’ve always low-key wanted one. Big fan of Ibanez in general.

2 Likes

everyone should have a mikro. it’s a rule.

5 Likes

Just to chime in on the medium scale discussion. I think 32" is the perfect fit for many people. I also have lots of experience with them. I own or have owned at least 10 medium scale basses.

If you want bang for your buck… you CANNOT get better value for your money on a medium scale bass than a Aria Pro2 Cardinal bass. They are absolutely amazing in both sound and build quality. They were made during the Matsumoku era of Aria instruments (just Google that to see how good they were).

They were made to the little brother of the famous SB-1000 basses. Often using almost the same pickups.

Most importantly, they can still be bought for a couple hundred dollars! So, with shipping, they can be at your door for less than $400 US. I have included a photo of a CSB-Deluxe that I have regretted selling and am still looking to replace. Most of the CSBs had one pickup but this is my favourite model in the line.

This is my CSB-450 with a set-neck. Top of the line for CSB. Also medium scale.

I highly recommend these basses. I could even help someone find one in Japan is need be at no cost or profit to me. I love bass searching in Japan!

Matt.

7 Likes

The best part is how easy it can be, even for relatively rare stuff :slight_smile:

Those Arias look great. Matsumoku made great instruments for basically all of the big brands - Yamaha, Ibanez, Aria, etc. The only Epiphone I would even consider would be one of theirs.

There’s a lot of great medium scales here, agree with @matt.g.ward.esq. My favorite cache is at Shimokura’s main store in Ochanomizu, who have a regular stable of used 32" Yamaha MB-40s and other Motion Basses, plus some 32" RBX and other lines. Many were '80s/'90s MIJ, so very high quality, are excellent instruments, and very inexpensive, around $200US. The 2000s models are even less expensive.

3 Likes

That red CSB is absolutely stunning @matt.g.ward.esq !

3 Likes

UPDATE…I went for it and bought the Yamaha ! :grinning:
I love the active pick ups… but I have a ( daft ) question about them, I know I need to turn the amp off when I put the bass down for a few minutes as to not drain the battery, but do I need to take the cable out of the jack on my bass too ? Thanks

3 Likes

yes

3 Likes

Always and forever, unless you really like buying new batteries to replace your dead ones. :low_battery::low_battery::low_battery::low_battery::low_battery::low_battery:

3 Likes

Yep, the output jack is the on/off switch for the electronics. This is pretty common, most buffered and some unbuffered pedals are like this.

Also, minor nit, but your bass has passive pickups and an active preamp.

Active pickups exist but are pretty rare.

3 Likes

ah thanks for explaining that. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

thank you, i thought so, but wasnt entirely sure