Short Scale vs Long Scale

I started here a few years ago, I started with a long scale. My wife for Christmas last year bought me an Ibanez Micro Short Scale. By short scale standards it’s short, but omg I love it! I haven’t played long scale since. Any thoughts?

4 Likes

Well it’s good for you anything that get you playing is good even a uBass, lol. Happy thanksgiving.

1 Like

I play a 30" medium scale (Ibanez Mezzo SRMD200D) which I love. With my dodgy pinky it makes it easier to reach frets without (mostly) having to use that finger.

1 Like

I think you’re in good company. From Paul McCartney/Beatles and Bill Wyman/Rolling Stones to Jack Bruce/Cream and more recently Vic De Angeles/Maneskin, short scales have made some great music.

I have a Mustang, an Ibanez, and a Squier Rascal all shorties

4 Likes

Short scale suits me too as I have small hands and short fingers! I have a 30" scale Ibanez TMB 30 plus a very short scale Blackstar Travel bass - 18 frets/24 inch scale - which I tend to use the most at the moment.

2 Likes

AaaMen! So true!

1 Like

I thought Mezzo’s were 32 inch scale

1 Like

They are AFAIK

Whoops! I even stated medium scale lord knows why I typed 30" and of course too late now for me to correct. 32" it is!

What are your thoughts on the blackstar travel bass?

I’ve been looking at that and the Gretsch Junior Jet recently.

I like the Blackstar. As a beginner, the short scale helped me with learning and managing the basics before deciding whether or not I wanted to continue and to upsize to a “proper” bass. Sound is fine to my beginner ears. I use it with a Laney mini practice amp and Vox and Blackstar amPlugs. The smaller size is also ideal for sitting in front of the laptop/monitor and playing tabs and songs etc. I tend to use the Ibanez bass on my larger practice amp when I’m just practicing/improvising and don’t need to work from the laptop screen.

1 Like

Just to add - there are only 18 frets so I found when doing the course that playing high on the neck was a bit tight and tricky! Had to improvise some workouts by working lower down.

1 Like

I love this thread and the lovely responses and conversations.
It’s hilarious to me though, because when I see your avatar, I imagine Frank Zappa screaming all of your responses at me at the top of his lungs.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I wish I had even 1% of Frank’s wit and musical talent.

1 Like

Well, don’t we all??

1 Like

My Ibanez is a long scale. My Carl Thompson is a short scale. It is for sure easier to play the first few frets on my CT. I’m only 5’7", so had distinctly asked Carl to build mine as a short scale.

2 Likes

Congrats on your Carl Thompson. His basses are rare gems.