Short Term Storage

Hey gang,
I’m leaving next week for a six week trip to San Diego and I was wondering if I should “de-tune” my basses that will be left behind. What is the general consensus?

3 Likes

IDK, but you will be about an hour from me for 6 weeks.

My gut says no, leave them the way they are supposed to be, but I can’t say for sure.

3 Likes

This is a good question. Guitar stores do this here.

3 Likes

Well, it can’t hurt! But I’d say it’s unnecessary

4 Likes

Ok, I looked it up. From what I gather, it’s recommended to detune half-step/step if it’s for a long period of time (6 months+). Shouldn’t be more than a half-step/step, because the neck needs the tension (it really is a tension wh*re - ba dum tss).

If you have active pickups, remove the batteries to prevent leakage

9 Likes

Hi Jerry,
I don’t touch any of mine?
they are all the same if I don’t caress them for a few months.:+1::joy:
Although they don’t acknowledge they miss me, I’m sure they feel it.:sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

Maybe we can grab a beer on a weekend when I get there.

6 Likes

Thanks everyone. It sounds like I’ll leave them be for now.

6 Likes

Glad you asked the question, now I know my gut was sort of wrong. Plus I never thought about the battery. I don’t see being gone for 2 weeks let alone 6 weeks or 6 months anytime soon, but always good to learn new concepts.

4 Likes

I agree with what everyone else said, but I will add that if you leave them alone for that long they are going to feel abandoned. Be sure to bring back treats for them, IE: New strings, pedals, picks, perhaps a new amp…

Check out the GAS thread for gift ideas.

7 Likes

I’ll be FaceTime-ing with them. :laughing:

6 Likes

Love it Pam, @PamPurrs.:grin:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes