Should I buy a big-boy bass?

A. I have no knowledge of this thing you call “gym.” :joy:
B. Honestly, no legit reason other than GAS. But I’m intrigued by the possibilities, and it’s fun to window shop.

2 Likes

I like the short scale thump, too, @Al1885. That thump comes from its strong fundamental I was talking about. It sure does work a lot of the time, but I consider that tone a seasoning for certain genres/tunes. But to each his own.

If P bass is salt, Jazz is pepper. Both are fundamental in their own way.

3 Likes

I definitely get what several of you are saying about a P bass. It tracks with everything I’ve read about them: super versatile, can’t-go-wrong instrument. But, I sure didn’t gel with the Mexican P at my local dealer. Nor did I vibe with the Mex J. (Both are available in a lovely buttercream yellow, but alas…) They did not feel right.

But riddle me this… What about a PJ?

It seems like that would be the obvious choice because, you know, P + J.

Being relatively new at this, I can’t ever figure out — Does a PJ really do the job of both a P and a J? And if so, why doesn’t everyone just grab a PJ? (I know I’m oversimplifying, but I really wonder.)

Anyway, the obvious answer to my current dilemma is to practice with what I’ve got, enjoy popping into a store now and then to try out something new, and don’t waste money actually purchasing anything until I’ve had a lot more time to play and figure out what I like.

2 Likes

Which one is hot sauce?

1 Like

Stingray? Or, Rickenbacker?

1 Like

Bass is a different animal there’s no prerequisite other then an approachable PricePoint there’s no reason to start with one over the other. Be it Fretless 5 string or 6 strings, every beginners would suck in the beginning then get used to whatever it is she/he is playing and arrive at about the same bass kung fu level as one that starts on a 4 string, with extra dozens note in the bag.

The only reason why beginners should or do buy used or cheaper bass is $$$. There’s no rule against anyone getting an Alembic or a Ken Smith as their first bass. Lol.

It usually takes a couple of minutes to recalibrate your touch on a different bass of a similar setup a MusicMan Stingray would feel a bit slower but spacious when comparator a tight and fast Jazz profile.

You’d wake up one day saying everything else sucks only Jazz profile is for you. Then a week later you’d say the opposite because you love the spaciousness of the wider neck. I know most of you reading this is nodding your noggin’, right? Like I was there! Lol.

2 Likes

Billy Sheehan’s bass

3 Likes

Good point

2 Likes

It’s actually the opposite. P bass is not as versatile but it’s iconic. It does the couple of things really well that’s why people like them.

Pj is definitely more versatile especially you get the one with p bass profile not the narrow Jazz profile.

Most versatile bass would be like Billy Sheehan bass or Stu ham bass. Lol.

1 Like

I think P Bass is just as versatile depending on how you define the term versatile. A Jazz or PJ is more versatile in the amount of tones available.

A P bass is more of a one trick pony, but that one trick is a heck of a trick and sits perfectly in a wide range of music. In that sense it’s as versatile as any

3 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

This is what one would think, but, no.
It’s neither. It’s it’s own thing.

4 Likes

It’s not versatile at all, which makes it a good to for many things, but versatile it ain’t.

2 Likes

One P or J does not inform on others, esp the differing varieties of Fender. I did not like my MIM P mainly cause of the neck, but love my other Fender P and my Edwards. Don’t judge the many by the one.

3 Likes

I love Ps. But I love the neck of the Sire D5 or Squier CV 50s, 60s, or 70s a lot more than the neck of the MIM P. There is simply something I do not love about that neck.

Like John said a PJ is its own thing, but they sound great.

With one exception, all my basses are Ps, Js, or PJs.

2 Likes

StingRay, no doubt.

3 Likes

I mean seriously who doesn’t like PJs?

7 Likes

Speaking of which, fender also make Mexican special jazz bass. Both pickups are at the same length.

Wait until you get a few gigs under your belt and then decide if your needs have changed. But either way, I would think you may want a backup bass now that you’re a gigging musician! :grinning:

2 Likes