Should I buy a big-boy bass?

Yeah, I guess that’s what I meant by “versatile” in this case — it sounds good in a wide array of settings.

1 Like

@RuknRole Yes. That’s also a part of it. I’ve heard the stories of someone’s bass crapping out on them mid-performance, and that seems like a good excuse to sample something else and have it in tow.

Then again, do those of you who play “out” actually take a backup each time you gig? And a backup amp? I mean, that sounds impractical.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly! The neck felt… I don’t know :man_shrugging:t2: kind of cheap or something. Definitely uninspiring.

But, the Squier Jaguar… :yum: That felt great, comes with a PJ configuration, and as it happens (the Squier version only) is 32”, so longer but still comfy to me.

2 Likes

Squier Jaguar also has a feature I really like on my Squier Paranormal - which is separate tone and volume for each pickup, so you really have good tone options.

3 Likes

This is your answer. The rest is just being curious about what you haven’t had a chance to experience.

As to the orher questions… yes, but…
Yes, it all matters. But, does it matter to you or the sound you can produce in a mix?

Feel, Look, Sound, you want all three. If the Gretsch already gives you all that then you’re already set.

On the other hand, since you will be playing professionaly, I would seriously consider getting a backup bass.

2 Likes

The paranormal is just awesome, build quality rival MIM. The 62’ knobs arrangement is also super cool.

1 Like

Best pickup combo/config is the MusicMan HS.

obvs to everyone i loves me some short scale. but i have never been exclusively a short scale guy and my most beloved bass is my long scale bongo. by no means does this mean you can’t or shouldn’t be exclusively short scale. like most things around here, you do you.

2 Likes

i know that there is a ton of love for the HS but i gotta say i’m a purist at heart.

1 Like

I would like to respectfully disagree with my esteemed colleague here. I would describe the tonal differences much in the same way as @MikeC does above.
It’s significant - very significant to me.

But, I can see where @John_E is coming from, and particularly if you’re just starting, it may not be a huge deal or largely noticable.

BUT!
Because of the short scale length, you can’t get that big, bright, punchy, precise sound that the 34" basses will deliver.
If you have some money and can afford it, do it.
The short scale will be there for the soul / funk / mellow / more muted vibes, and then you’ll have your swiss-army-knife bass for everything else.

Also… if you have some money and can afford it, always buy another bass.
And then basses for all of us too.

9 Likes

Operators are standing by to send out my shipping address. Short, medium, and long scale basses accepted. Don’t wait. Call today.

6 Likes

Never played one, but I’d love to hear how it sounds.

2 Likes

I have a lovely Ibanez Mikro I’m sure would make a wonderful addition to your collection. That 28" scale THUMPS. Matching Barbie not included.

1 Like

Damn! You were THIS close…

1 Like

Bass Barbie is the best Barbie.

barbie

12 Likes

Now you’re just gloating.

But a tort pickguard…

1 Like

@Wombat-metal , fine then. She even plays her “guitar”!

1 Like

Nice. Wonder if she knows Country and Western

1 Like

Maybe ask @MikeC , I hear he provided the audio.

1 Like