Should I buy a big-boy bass?

So I think where I was coming from is in my head vs. what I wrote, lol.
I have a lot of basses set up a lot of ways with a lot of various pickups that I have modded.
A tone for any/every occasion, and some occasions that maybe don’t exist.
Why would this logic not apply to short scale, you can mod your way to a tone of any type, no?

2 Likes

To me, there’s a marked difference in how a short scale sounds versus a long scale, and I’m talking same brand/type of strings on both, with no EQ coloring anything.

The short scale produces an inherently strong fundamental from a plucked string note, an open E, for example. A long scale produces a more complex tone when playing that same example note because it produces overtones the short scale just physically doesn’t.

After recently playing a short scale StingRay back-to-back with a long scale StingRay, again, each with the same brand/type of strings, tone knob open and no EQ, the difference between the two was really apparent.

2 Likes

How do the two sound in a mix?

Jack Bruce talked about how he preferred a short scale because the strings were bendier. Never played a short scale this is what I’ve read.

4 Likes

I really “play” my guitar. :joy:

2 Likes

Ooh, strong fundamentals and complex tones. Who’s thirsty?

3 Likes

You can hear Bill Wyman really well.

A short scale can work in a mix. Just need to set EQ, etc.

They thump, but they can cut through in a mix with a little tweaking.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I forgot, according to the oracle…

2 Likes

1 Like

So sayeth the soother

100%. Even medium scale is noticably darker and less bright than 34".

The differences you will find with short scale:

• darker sound with more of the fundamental and fewer harmonics
  • lower string tension for a given diameter
  • slightly easier to play (but not easy mode, it’s not a panacea)
  • much easier to reach the last frets

in my experience anyway.

4 Likes

Yep. That’s correct.

2 Likes

For anyone interested, here’s an article comparing and contrasting short scale and regular 34" scale basses and the tones each produces.

Short Scale Bass vs Long Scale Bass Guitars - The Guitar Gear Guru.

3 Likes

Tonewood matters…

You got the whole world in your hands. :earth_americas:

The eagle flies at midnight. :eagle:

Shall we say pistols at dawn? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m with you 100% when comparing 34”-34” of similar-ish neck profile. Tone is probably easiest to match, cheapest as well. That said feel is some what on the opposite spectrum, as (especially) you probably know among your aerodynes all with 1.5” neck profile one probably feel the best.

The main reason I like short scale is the lower string tension and a certain thumpy vibe, on the other hand my 35’ scale and the multi scale 6 string are also fun And offering great feel in different ways.

That proves more reasons to own more than 1 style of bass, lol.

3 Likes

You missed the bit about the Easy payments… :rofl:

1 Like

I start a band I’m going to call it Tonewood

4 Likes

Or join these guys.