Should I buy a big-boy bass?

I didn’t even know they made acoustic instruments anymore :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Or sit in with these guys.

https://swampashband.com/

1 Like

Man, I just listened to a rendition of Take Me to the River by those Swamp Ash guys. They’re pretty damn good. Some talented players there.

You do that, and I will totally buy one of your band t-shirts!

Oh, no, no! There are no payments. You simply send me all manner of basses. No purchase necessary (except the purchases of basses you send me).

See? Simple!

1 Like

This is like people who get into photography and think they should buy a 50mm lens because people say you need to have one…

Don’t buy anything because you think you should, buy it because it fulfills a requirement. Go play some basses, if you like the sound of a 34in bass (or any bass) then great, if you don then it’s probably not for you.

3 Likes

I actually like a 28mm lens for walking around.

If it sounds good and feels good, then great. That’s what matters.

2 Likes

And a big boy bass is ~42 in :smile:

3 Likes

delete

1 Like

I think that guy is holding that thing the wrong way… It looks more like a Zither to me :rofl:

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

That’s my air conditioning repairman. He said he had to install high-efficiency coils, or something. .

2 Likes

That’s sounds like his “so I got this weird message” video where I didn’t get the joke in the comments and had to look it up :joy:

I will always prefer my short scale Bass,
I had a long scale Bass before and Ididn’t really enjoy it,
I am aguitar player, and for me the chort scale Bass feel like a strat guitar, short and light, in fact same size as a fender strat.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s relevant, but you can always use a capo on a long-scale bass to try a medium or short-scale bass. In your case, I guess it might be worth to just try a long-scale for a couple of minutes at least.

2 Likes

Update (if I haven’t already said this):

I shopped around some more, trying out regular 34” Precision and Jazz basses (I was going for something in the Fender style), and kept running across the Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar bass, which some of you will know has a 32” scale length. And, long-story-short, that’s what I ended up buying — and I love it!

The 32” scale fits me perfectly: It’s super comfortable and easy to navigate (like a short-scale) and yet offers a bit “extra” in terms of sound (like a long-scale) when compared with my 30” Gretsch. You get a little more of that overtone sizzle or punch, if you know what I mean. And frankly, it looks more “grownup” because of the body dimensions and, I guess, those extra couple of inches at the neck end. (Oh, plus, it’s a Fender 4-in-a-line headstock, so that adds length as opposed to Gretsch’s 2x2 design.) It even sits well in a normal bass case, so I didn’t have to special order anything for it.

Let me know in the comments below if you’ve tried and liked (or disliked) a medium-scale bass. [He says in his best YouTuber voice.]

Oh, and, a pet peeve of mine is how both of the local shop dudes wanted to argue with me when I called it a medium-scale that “anything under 34” is considered short-scale.” Ok, then please explain why — right over there on your wall — you’ve got D’Addario Chromes with Medium Scale written on the package! I’ve watched enough YouTube for the both of us, and I’m right in labeling this as a medium-scale bass. (But I don’t say these things because I’m a nice guy.)

3 Likes

Medium-scale basses are very cool. They do check off a lot of tonal and playability boxes. Congrats!

1 Like

Cool! I’ve loved the medium scale basses I have tried. 32” is a fun scale length.

1 Like