Should I shoot my new bass? (Modding the Harley Benton MV-4MSB)

Yes, put a unicorn sticker over it.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09KGGM8SK/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B09KGGM8SK&ref_=sxts_sparkle_sbv&qid=1717015723&pd_rd_w=XXseN&content-id=amzn1.sym.ca001256-6f40-46c7-b225-826f130de354%3Aamzn1.sym.ca001256-6f40-46c7-b225-826f130de354&pf_rd_p=ca001256-6f40-46c7-b225-826f130de354&pf_rd_r=CAQY8QHJ06F19B6WME27&pd_rd_wg=hkAYq&pd_rd_r=ed6bc7ec-fe50-4802-bccc-8b794d35a913&pd_rd_plhdr=t

2 Likes

That will be my very last resort.
Might have to send the bass back, alternatively :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seriously if it arrived like that from the store it should go back.

1 Like

I think all the mods you’ve done, including drilling a new jack hole, et al, has set that ship to sail.

4 Likes

Oh it’s that bass. Then you’re fucked.

4 Likes

No, it was my fault!
It’s minor, as I will cover pickguard and control plate anyway, but I don’t like imperfect stuff, even when I don’t see it…

I’ll tell thomann that the jack hole was there before :slight_smile:

No, still super happy with the bass and how it’s going.
The only challenge is me, and I can’t send myself back :slight_smile:

You’re learning. Next time, whatever you did that resulted in that huge scratch.

Don’t do that.

2 Likes

= don’t drill the holes on the control plate on the kitchen table :slight_smile:

Next week I will mod the black bass. But 100% with EMG gzr. Soldering sucks!

1 Like

Don’t forget you need to ground the copper too. Some people kind of cheese it with the control plate but it’s best to run a ground wire to it and screw it down. And for the most professional results, crimp/solder a terminal on the end of the ground wire, don’t just screw the wire down.

If you don’t ground the shielding you basically only added a tinfoil hat for your bass :rofl:

3 Likes

This is the best way, listen to him.

1 Like

There’s a tool called a centerpunch you want to buy if you do things like this again.

Basically, centerpunch where you want the hole to be, drill a small pilot hole in the punch, and then drill it out.

1 Like

Alternatively for the true gear head you buy a drill press and all of the fixturing options. Of course the center punch solution costs ~€1 and the drill press is at least a couple of orders of magnitude higher, but who doesn’t want their own machine shop. A drill press gets you off to a great start there.

2 Likes

Drill press by far the best if you have the space and money, yeah.

1 Like

Have that!

Have that too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And you chose to freehand it with no pilot? Ok you deserve the scratch, just wear it like a man :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, I managed to go slooooow for the whole process.
Except for the control plate. Of course that went wrong and I deserve the scratch ^^

Modding = learning (about myself)

1 Like

Yes, plan to do that when the foil for pickguard and control plate has arrived.

Crimp/solder a terminal is a great idea!

I am literally about to do this now, going to run all the grounds to one point that also grounds the conductive paint.

1 Like

That was quick!?

All other models are still available…

1 Like