Should I shoot my new bass? (Modding the Harley Benton MV-4MSB)

Wait @Whying_Dutchman
What happened to the Jazz version? I thought that was the new release.

1 Like

Plot twist. It was all in his mind. It never really existed.

“We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.”

3 Likes

Thomann made a mistake in the first listing and had also an incorrect picture of the body that clearly showed two Jazz pickups, ie:

(@Barney - if you can see the picture above, it’s also in your mind :-))

1 Like

Thanks, @Moonshine !

2 Likes

The only one that really tempts me at all is their bass vi clone.

2 Likes

It is worth it, the only down side is getting strings to fit and when you do finally lash out and get the (only correct) Labella Bass VI set you have to be very careful with the E.
Otherwise I love it-it is sitting next to me as I type actually…purring smugly.

3 Likes

For Pink’s Hot I will definitely go for the Dimarzio DP126, also because those pickups are sitting on my table and I’m getting impatient ^^

Looking at this wiring diagram, they are using a 0.33µF capacitor. Do you know if this is mandatory or could I just use a 0.47µF capacitor?

Except when pretty much that very scenario happened in real life, that’s exactly what the shipwrecked boys didn’t do.

Maybe the problem is English people?

A countryman of yours wrote a book about it…

1 Like

a 47nF is fine, that’s what I’m using with my DP122 and it’s perfect.

by the way 47nF = 0.047µF (not 0.47µF which would be way too big)

2 Likes

As long as my countrymen write books, they are harmless. But you don’t want to end up with the Dutch on an isolated island:

I recently saw a truly shocking documentary about this. People are animals, at least us Dutch!
If I remember correctly, a 2nd ship was wrecked at the same time on that island, unknown to the crew of the Batavia. They built a cooperating society (much like BassBuzz) and survived happily…

EDIT If you understand German, this is the documentary:

1 Like

Ah, thanks for the correction. Without my glasses I have trouble identifying the fine print :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve had a 47nF cap paired with a DiMarzio Model P and it was perfect, no worries at all.

2 Likes

Can you rememember, which model?

These are my choices:

It literally does not matter at all. You can use a cheap ceramic disc cap and it will sound pretty much exactly the same, regardless of what you read on TalkBass.

2 Likes

That would be cool, as the Orange Drops are quite large…

1 Like

My choice would be a polyester (MKS, MKT) or polypropylene (MKP) 63v or 100v cap. Quite small, inexpensive, good quality. Ceramic caps can be OK too. Technically the MKP are the better ones but it doesn’t matter on such a low voltage.

An Orange Drop (which is a high voltage polypropylene) or paper/oil cap has absolutly no benefit at all in a low voltage circuit.

3 Likes

I use a ,047 cap and it sounds fine

Orange cap looks cool and sounds cool when you brag about it on Talk Bass, but doesn’t add anything extra here.

2 Likes

Many pros believe that all capacitors are the same, unless you think there’s differences then it is. Naturally I believe the better and more expensive brands are better😂

2 Likes

Should I get a 2nd hand Fender capacitor or is a cheap new Harley Benton capacitor ok? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Even the Orange Drop is under 3 euros. They’re all cheap.

I would not get second hand.

1 Like