Should I shoot my new bass? (Modding the Harley Benton MV-4MSB)

Your huge Harley Benton collection will be very expensive soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is the nicest thing you ever said to me - I’m blushing now :slight_smile:
(But I know what you mean)

1 Like

Also an error on a product page on a website is something that can happen, especially with a new product. It’s very common. No big deal really.

1 Like

Both are pretty hot and without exorbitant shipping costs I would be all over them.
I like 70’s Black and Tort.
Usually I would run from a pink bass but I actually really like that one.
I 2nd Barney a bit, and I am a compulsive modder and customiser.
How does it sound and what needs to be changed?
And for the love of all that is Holy keep the tort on the pink one!
(disclaimer: I also like a good Antigua burst so my taste may be flawed, I am also Australia so the pictures are upside down)

3 Likes

maybe you see the Antigua burst in reverse

3 Likes

NEVER! It will only be pink and chrome (ok, and black for the pickups, but only cause I could not get the chrome relentless).

Tortoise = terrorism!

It sounds very good, really!
Not perfect - but it is on par with all much more expensive basses I tried, all things considered.
I found Drop D a little washed out, but I will work on that (by modding).
Also, It’s not 100% hum/hiss free. But you need to listen very closely to hear it!

This was the bass that @Al1885 talked me out of buying, so I can relate!

2 Likes

Like I said it’s the shipping thing. If not I’d probably own more than one. I’m glad that (you think) your action doesn’t affect me.

The first thing’s I usually do when buying a cheaper model basses is to change the string or at minimum take them out and put it through my ultrasonic tub.

Affordable basses usually finish on the factory floor with all kinds of small particles in the air. That’s why you got black finger tips playing them right out of the box. That’s the last thing I want coming from South East Asia.

3 Likes

…and I regret that decision ever since, lol.

5 Likes

Okokok, I will ask Thomann politely what has happened and will not go Seal Team Six on them, I promise.

My fingers hurt like hell and are not black but red-ish. It might be all the playing today!?

Nonono. I am TRULY happy with the way it worked out, really.
I got a bass that is ergonomically perfect now … and I will have some modding fun too. I would not have touched the Avocado Bass (except for playing)

So, all good - and that’s for a large part to you making me doubt the Avocado bass!

2 Likes

The neck is not as smooth as the EHB, but smoother than the Fender Jaguar that I tested.

It has a thin neck with a D shape. Had to get used to 38mm nut size, but now it feels natural.
D shape I like anyway.

The frets are perfect.

I have not done a setup yet - string height is not low enough (it never is), and I haven’t checked neck tension yet.

1 Like

I’m with Al and Barney on this: either send the whole mother back or change the damn strings. Either way, problem solved and many millions of pixels’ lives saved.

Sheesh! Playing is supposed to be fun. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

In general, I don’t care much about the neck letters as long as they are not all the same on my basses I’m happy. :smiley:

1 Like

@mikec I will contemplate on this and try to save as many pixels as possible, ok? ^^

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

I didn’t know that I liked D shape until I fumbled the EHB. That was perfect!

:rofl:

4 Likes

no

3 Likes

The other option is to dowel the holes and redrill. Which neither of the other methods prevent anyway, so I would say try them first. Doweling would also require refinishing if it is painted or finished.

Or just buy tuners that are the correct size. That’s what most people do.

I just doweled the prior tuning machine screw holes on a guitar I am working on. Works great and looks fine. If this were serious I would probably sand a bit more, put on a coat of filler, and paint over it, and they would basically be gone (as would that scratch and the wear lines left from the prior tuners).

3 Likes

I think that as long as it’s done properly, almost any material can be used to act as a bushing, as long as it does not impede with the tuner/nut making proper contact with the wooden headstock. I have doweled and redrilled, but I have also used cpvc (plumbing pipe) as a bushing as well.

I didn’t A/B them due to them happening at separate times, but I did not hear a decline in the sound from either. IMHO/YMMV.

3 Likes