Should I shoot my new bass? (Modding the Harley Benton MV-4MSB)

Maybe they are both true. It’s OEM.

1 Like

Is OEM exactly the same as as the non-OEMs?
The Sire U5 I had for a few days had the same strings, but with coloured ball ends, if I remember correctly…
Also they felt a little smoother … but that might be subjective.

Just saying: I follow this deviation of my topic closely and I totally like where this is going, even though I do not understand the sentence above. Or do I? Dunno ^^

I have many things to say about the stripper topic, but I cannot unfocus from my bass. I am getting old :frowning:

Please continue!!! :slight_smile:

OK, your profile looks like you know what you’re doing! So this is approved!? Cool!

I prefer my aluminium bushing solution to the wood thing, as this should provide the best contact to the headstock (in theory)…

I’ve done that more than 3 years ago and the bass still works perfectly fine and stays in tune. So, yes, approved.

1 Like

You are my hero :cupcake:

Sire bargaining power on their only short scale model is just barely better than mine.

Thomann, that’s a different story. Sire probably get off the shelf strings vs HB got their custom order just for your bass. It will be close enough but it is what it is. It’s an OEM, that phrase has lots of wiggle room.

1 Like

In my professional world, OEM means: a genuine product without the brand label on it. Not inferior quality.

I will ask them directly…

EDIT SIre U5

Is it inferior quality?

1 Like

New Sire basses ship with D’Addario strings.

As I said: it is OK, but does not feel as smooth as the SIre U5.
I did not have a look at the ball ends before I felt a little unhappy. Not the tone (well, maybe a little), more the feel…

I will wait until I have the new pickups installed, and decide then how much hell Thomann can expect from me…

Exactly. But new Harley Benton MV-4MSB too!

And the link on their product page points to the original D’addario:

:rofl:well you do you my man.

Keep giving them hell and your next HB will start at $500 because of the OEM clauses. It goes somewhere you know.

I couldn’t care less because HB is out of my jurisdiction.

Send it back.

6 Likes

Ditto!

1 Like

Hahaha to you both, @Al1885 & @Barney ^^

NEVER!

But I want some free strings from Thomann. It’s a Dutch thing, I guess. Calvinists always want it all!

1 Like

I got a Sire V7 once, and the strings I did not like. They did not have the colored balls. I contacted Sire and they told me that they do indeed use D’Addarios, but when D’Addario can’t keep up with the demand, they ship with Ernie Ball Slinkys instead, which makes sense as I always found Slinkys rough.

Strings may not always be as advertised is my life lesson. Put on what you want and you’ll know what you have.

3 Likes

There you go. Now I know who’s been jacking up my basses prices.

1 Like

How is the neck by the way?

@Whying_Dutchman your behavior is reminding me of previous ‘high maintenance’ girlfriends I had in the past.

Plug the bass in and play it. If you don’t like the strings then change them.

Seriously what do you want for $100 or whatever that thing cost.

Everything is fantastic and nobody’s happy.

4 Likes