Should I shoot my new bass? (Modding the Harley Benton MV-4MSB)

Yeah, shell pink, white pickguard, maple fretboard, classic look. Looks good with rosewood (or whatever Thomann is using on the HB’s) too.

4 Likes

certainly not real rosewood :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

No doubt :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They use laurel wood.
The neck feels really wonderful, no issue here. Again, it’s not the Ibanez EHB neck, which I liked most. But it comes in 2nd place.
Also the 38mm width is good. I thought wider is better, but I was wrong.

I am looking forward to oiling the fretboard of Pink’s Hot, which should give it a little more character - and darkening the fretboard of Ronin, so it is in keeping with the overal dark mood of it…

2 Likes

Final decision on mods for Pink’s Hot - everything is ordered and still waiting for it:

• Chrome Gotoh GB707 tuners which will be fitted with custom aluminium bushings
  • Hipshot GB7 Bass Extender, also in chrome. Here I will take my black one and put a chrome peg on it (for cost reasons)
  • Dimarzio DP126 pickups
  • Neck volume pot, bridge volume put, tone pot with chrome Schaller ST-Style Knobs. All installed on the control plate. No pickup selection switch anymore.
  • Drill new hole in body for output jack
  • Cavities coated with copper tape
  • Gotoh 404BO bridge
  • Schaller S-Locks
  • Silver foil/sheet for pickguard.

Ronin will be basically the same, but possibly with EMG GZR pickup…

1 Like

I definitely prefer wider. A lot of Yamahas are 40mm and that feels perfect to me.

3 Likes

My other bass had also 40mm (or was it 42mm?) - I thought that would go well with my monstrously huge and generally clumsy hulk-like hands.

Rationally, 2mm cannot make a difference, but it has a more “elegant” feel to it, I can move over the strings much more smoothly. But sureley that must be subjective!?

Now the old neck feels sluggish and brute!

1 Like

38mm is a very very common size. In fact it is the most common, as it is the J-bass size. I have owned several instruments at 38mm; I just prefer 40. 42 is good too.

More important is the profile. I love Modern C and D profiles and deeply dislike U profiles, for example.

3 Likes

Same here - didn’t know the D profile until I played the EHB. That felt … woooooooooooooow!
Pink’s Hot has also a D-profile, but not as flat as the EHB and also not as smooth.
But every day I play daa basss, it feels better. I was thinking about ways to get the EHB satin feel on my Pink’s Hot, but I need to restrain myself now :slight_smile:

1 Like

It makes a big difference to me. 38 mm necks are quite tiring for me, I much prefer 41 to 43 mm necks. But it’s very personnal.

3 Likes

But isn’t that strange? Can you explain?
It’s only a 0.5-1mm difference per string! And in terms of angle it is really miniscule…

How are we able to feel that???!

1 Like

It makes a major difference as it changes the position of the fretting hand.

Also less than 1 mm in the neck thickness makes a noticeable difference.

And also a small difference of radius (say 9,5" to 12") is very noticeable too.

A neck shape is something very precise !

3 Likes

Can you get a little into the physics and biomechanic of it all?
Again, I feel the difference - but I don’t know if it’s real.

I find that hard to believe. It’s not that I don’t believe it - I just do not find a rational reasoning behind it…

Unfortunately I have not measured the Ibanez EHB neck, which was less thick than the neck current of the HB. The difference was substantial in terms of feel though…

1 Like

Absolutely. Profile and radius are huge, and agree, 38mm is “faster” but gets less comfortable for me than 40mm pretty fast.

2 Likes

Ah, EHB1005MS dimensions:

Will measure the MV-4MSB neck when I take it apart…

1 Like

I’m just a guy playing guitar and bass, I’m not a physicist :joy:

4 Likes

Neck feel is the single most important criterion for me, and small changes matter a lot

2 Likes

All understood. But is it objective or subjective? Science vs Voodoo :slight_smile:

1 Like

Subjective. You are massively overthinking this for no gain - it doesn’t make sense to try and objectively measure a personal feel preference :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Understanding why things the way they are and how they work is for me the essence of EVERYTHING!

1 Like