Show us your amps

I use the Ampeg Micro for home practice when I want a super clean sound.
Headrush FRFR is used for 90% of home practice and as a bass only monitor when live.
If I’m just goofing off or don’t want to disturb the family, I use my little headphone amp.

10 Likes

Here is mine 100v3, had it for less then 24 hours and still fiddling the knobs to get the tone I want. Pleeeeeenty of power for a semi detached house

10 Likes

Good choice!

5 Likes

I have the same amp, and for the size i am amazed at the tones it can produce. It’s even able to handle the low B very well. I’d recommend it to anyone for at home use or even smaller acoustic gigs.

3 Likes

I can’t seem to figure out how to get the sort of tone I hear in my head. So for now I’m leaving all the amp eq at the noon position with all the shaping buttons(bright,vintage etc.) off and im just trying to get it dialed in on the bass eq side.
Would a “show us your amp settings” thread be useful ? Or is it so personal and variable ( bass,room,altitude,foot size) dependant that it is best to just persevere until one finds the perfect “balance” ?
Sorry if it is a stupid question,but I’m fiddling with all the knobs rather than fondling with the bass!

3 Likes

“Finding your sound” is not something simple, that’s for sure… at least it’s not for me. I have come to accept that it is a journey and that there are many things to learn along that journey. But, it is also fun to discover how “sound” is coming about and what can influence and shape it…

Maybe start with this thread here (there are also others that you may find via the search function):

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I’m definitely enjoying the discovery part and so far I’m just starting with as neutral a setting as I can find and then just moving one dial up or down,while playing the same scale. Rinse and repeat.
That’s a good thread you’ve pasted in as I have a zoom b1/4 as well,but for now I’m keeping it in the box until I get to grips(ish) with the bass and amp eq.
I do worry that I won’t actually ever play anything and I’ll become that guy that plays two notes just to stop and flick switches,turns the mids up or down and just grumbles in the corner!:grin:

3 Likes

Modern Fender solid state amps are pretty neutral for tone. They are kind of warm and clean and add little other color on their own.

The B1four you have has some excellent amp sims on it that might be closer to the tone you are looking for.

5 Likes

I’m looking forward to exploring that little wonder too. The excitement just to play a little something every time I walk past the amp and bass is just like when I got my first acoustic guitar!

One “fun” thing I have discovered is that playing my old bass unplugged for quite some time has introduced yet another list of bad habits I didn’t even know I had. So yay, I get to learn! Speaking of which- module one awaits!

4 Likes

That is a perfect way to go about it. Eventually when you play you are going to want a little more or less of something and your brain will probably already know which knob to reach for.

4 Likes

There is this thread to help people get started…
How To Adjust Your Bass and Amp Sound

3 Likes

My Thunder!

15 Likes

Now thats impressive. Are those Portaflex fliptops or B15’s?

2 Likes

That is very nice, love those Mesa Cabs, can’t see the rack mounts too well enough to know everything you have there, but I am sure you have some power there.
NICE :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

New toy day, phil jones compact 4. 4x5", or equivalent to a 2x10. Really got fascinated by these, small and light. A lot of attack, punchy. Good bass extension but not thumpy. Probably would not work for you metal guys, not a really weighty heavy sound. Gonna get a matching one for the world’s cutest stack. I’m liking it.

8 Likes

It’s adorable :slight_smile:

I’ve never noticed your Ashdown. What a cool looking amp.

6 Likes

Very nice.
do they have any matching options, like 1 x 12 or 15 or something to use for more range?
I do like speakers 10" and under, I bet that does sound great, but in a mix situation, may need a little more bottom end.
Really cool tho, I love the color.

1 Like

The biggest speaker they make is 7".

https://pjbworld.com/cms/index.php/products-cabinets/

2 Likes

Eh, get a 2 x 7" then.

I like that array on the C9
9x5"
3 up and 3 across

1 Like

Got a couple new toys that you peeps may be interested in hearing about. First, completed my mini stack, got a second pjb compact 4. Looks great :+1:

Also, we were recently discussing frfr amps.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FRFR108--headrush-frfr-108-2000-watt-1x8-inch-powered-guitar-cabinet

I got the headrush 8" model.

It is definitely NOT a bass amp. Also the quietist 2000W amp (alleged) on earth. But it is a very good practice amp. It sounds full range, very hi-fi sound with little character. Which is not necessarily bad especially for practice, everything is very clean and precise, easy to hear. And you can run anything on earth through it and it has 2 inputs, so you could share it with your guitar player, vocals, keyboards or could run backing tracks from your iPhone. Both inputs have volume controls to easily blend them. 1/4 volume is right for practice in my living room which is surprising, but it is bass. I’m sure a guitar would scream through it, and there is enough power for practice, busking or probably coffeehouse gigs.

10 Likes