Show us your amps

Yeah I think a matching cab is quite important for the type/watt of amp you are using.

1 Like

And style. I doubt there’s a way a 15" would work well for me. 2x10 would be best.

4 Likes

You’d probably like a 212 or 410 as well, but again, DAW. I have a 210 myself and that puppy is LOUD. But it’s a 4ohm cab with a 500 watt amp getting all 500

1 Like

Just depends. The interface on the high end pedals have touch screen and easy menus now. They have amp and cab simulators too, and do a pretty good job getting the sounds of that amp. So with a single device you could get an SVT sound, an Aguilar, a Mesa, a Bassman etc…

Mine isn’t as fancy, the Zoom B3n, but it is pretty simple to use. I don’t really use the effects on it much other than creatively and a few of them do give a pretty good tone, but the drum machine and looper are insanely useful. It’s more a practice tool now than anything else, and I use my regular stomp pedals for recording and shows.

Eric,
Here’s an update. Our BL has a handheld sound analyzer. We’ve been using it to find which amp settings will give the truest “flat” setting for any given room/environment. I then use the settings on my basses to alter my tone.
After working with that analyzer to really dial my Rumble 500 for the stage/room in question, I’ve developed a preference for using that amp.
I can only see using my big old Hartke head now for the rare instances where seriously high stage volume may be needed. And that’s not very often.

2 Likes

That’s really cool. I didn’t know such a thing even existed. Can you share the brand name for this?

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to post this for a while and with the ungodly amount of snow we got this weekend it has pretty much shut things down for the last two days or at least it has for me. Now I have some extra time to post this.

I got this a few years back and don’t really know exactly what I have. I think I got a pretty good deal, I paid $150 for it.

It’s a PEAVEY TNT 115 S

It does work but there are so many buttons and dials I really have no idea how to use it. I bought when I first got my bass thinking I was going to need something big if I was going to ever play with people. That hasn’t happened yet, but I’m hoping when I finish B2B I will be able to play with at least the guys in my brothers band.

Let me know what you all think. If it’s a boat anchor let me know that as well, I will try and sell it off if that is the case.

Thanks in advance for the comments and advice.

7 Likes

old Peavey (until the 80’s, I’d say) were really good amps, and cost nothing on the used market. I could see myself playing on this kind of amp.

your amp is probably younger but still a more-than-decent amp, especially at $150 ! that’s a good deal indeed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @terb now I just have to figure out how to use it!! :rofl:

3 Likes

Looks good to me as well, @BigRichieO . . . :slight_smile:

You’ll figure out the best settings through trial and error, but I don’t know about those wires coming out of the “remote switch”.

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Yes @Jazzbass19 The guy I bought it from told me why he did it and said I could change it back. I don’t remember why he said he did it and at the time I had even less of an idea about what I was getting.

It’s just a 1/4 jack that I’m guessing some sort of a foot pedal would connect to but do you think this would turn the amp off or do something “special?” no idea on that part.

2 Likes

I love those old Peavey amps.

Seems to have come out in 1995 and has 150 watts.

The remote switch was just for the built in chorus effect so you could turn it on and off with a foot switch. I don’t know what that mod is supposed to do. No big loss. It’s a shame whoever did the modification didn’t tuck the wires back inside. Unless this somehow makes the chorus ‘always on’, that would suck. :rofl:

Otherwise, it looks like you got an excellent deal. It looks like it never left the bedroom. I would gladly pay $150 for one of those. That would be perfect to keep at my sons place when I go to visit.

Here’s the manual…
PEAVEY TNT 115S/BW OPERATING MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib

4 Likes

Could be just that, @BigRichieO . . . My Rumble 100 has a jack for a foot switch that toggles the overdrive on and off. I don’t think it would turn the amp off, but perhaps whatever yours is, is permanently “on” ? :thinking:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Looks as if you beat me to it, @eric.kiser . . . :grin:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Hey @eric.kiser thanks so much for the link to the manual. Looks like I have some reading to do!!

I hope it doesn’t suck!! :rofl: As soon as I learn how to record and upload something I will put it up here so you folks can hear it.

Thanks again!!

3 Likes

Hey @Jazzbass19 I’m hoping I can restore it to the original way it is came from the factory, or at least tuck the wires so they aren’t seen.

Thanks for the comments and help!! :+1:

3 Likes

I’m sure it won’t. I was just joking about that. I can’t think of any reason someone would want to wire the chorus as ‘always on’. Nothing wrong with chorus, but I would want to be able to turn it off when I didn’t want it.

Good luck with getting the recording done. I look forward to hearing it. :+1:

2 Likes

Can’t help on that model, but Peavy was my primary amp before. I have been happy with Peavy products. Our guitarist uses a Peavy XXX tube amp and that things sounds great, has some NASTY distortion on the 3rd channel but sounds good clean too. I had the Max115 and it was very loud and good. Just wanted to move on from combo. But a 15 can get pretty loud. You could probably practice with acoustic drums with that and come through

2 Likes

If there’s a chance to ask again why it was done, it may save you some time. I’m guessing it was done because they couldn’t get the chorus to turn off and just eventually bypassed it.

4 Likes

I bought it a few years ago from a friend of a friend. The guy was moving out of state and I don’t think my friend has stayed in contact with the guy. I will ask though, you are right it could safe me time and a headache.

Thanks for the thoughts!

3 Likes