Show us your amps

Very nice setup @itsratso,
Love the pedal board and the bongo👍
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Nice setup @itsratso I’m a fan of Phil Jones gear too. I got a C2 stack at home :slight_smile: and I also had the cab-27 piranha cab with the 7" drivers. These sounded a little bit warmer but I still prefer the compact series. Even the C2 has quite some low-end but I think the amp will define your tone the most. My rumble head makes it sounds more like a Fender cab while my PJ head makes it sound very clean and tight. I’m gonna test a GK head soon!

How did you hooked up that Ashdown? I’m kinda guessing parallel since you have 2 outputs on that Ashdown RM 500 EVO head. If I remember correctly the C4 is 400W @ 8ohm. So running a 500W amp will power them with 250W each @ 4ohms. From what I understand it will sound a bit better with a parallel connection, especially if you crank it up. Ideally you prob want a 800W head with those cabs?

I always get a little bit confused about this because if you connect parallel you have a total impedance of 4ohms while in series it will have 16ohms which is a lot more resistance and will most likely end up in lower volume. But I don’t fully understand why the resistance turns to 4ohms if you connect parallel to 8ohms speakers… Sorry for going a bit off-topic here :slight_smile:

1 Like

The series or parallel connection thing has been very confusing to me until well… Now. The reason why it’s so confusing is because so many sources online are confusing/just plain wrong. My manual for the pjb clearly states you can daisy chain the cabinets together IN PARALLEL giving you full power to the cabs. Yet a quick Google search states that daisy chaining gives you a serial connection which greatly robs you of power. So what gives? Well a few minutes ago I found this thread, which explains it:

TL/DR: it is very rare to find any cabs wired with a serial connector any more, they’re almost all parallel. So connect them however you want (after consulting your manual). Every time you add a cab you decrease the ohms. 1 8 ohm cab is 8 ohms. Add another and they are 4 ohms. Add another and you’re at 2.7 ohms, you can use an online ohms cabinet calculator. Most amps only safely go down to 4 ohms, a few do 2. Don’t start a fire onstage. I simply went output one to cab one, output two to cab two because pjb says it sounds a bit better but in the real world with 2 foot cables it probably doesn’t matter. BTW @DaveT here told me all the same things in a thread once.

4 Likes

:+1: I’m happy to have seeded the idea. I hear music is about repetition … and variation.

2 Likes

So if I understand this thread correctly then series is kinda rare and only achieved by using a special cable/box. Daisy-chaining or hooking them both up via your amp is always a parallel connection… It actually makes more sense to me if this is the case. Thanks both of you!

Lots of misinformation on the internet tho :lying_face:

3 Likes

Still got a question. :smiley: If an amp has 2 outputs then you need to connect both cabs to the amp or can you also use one output and daisy-chain the cabs? The total load should be the same in both scenarios.

I’ve checked the manuals but they aren’t really that clear imo. I would say you have to use both connections for parallel since an amp with 2 output usually have an impendance switch that sets the impendance for each output?

the outputs are wired in parallel

2 Likes

That’s the truth.

1 Like

+1 to @terb and if you use both connectors on cabinets, those are in parallel too. Everything is one big parallel connection unless you make a custom cable for series wiring.

The impedance switch is for the total load (impedance) of everything together, not usually for each output. If you have a specific model number amp, I’ll take a look.

2 Likes

Thanks Dave and Terb! I do understand the whole concept a bit better now. I’m gonna test one of those new GK heads soon. If I’m uncertain I will let you know! :slight_smile:

I looked at the labeling on the current GK amp head offerings and understand your question better in that context. They do have a switch setting for “4+4”. It kind of seems like each output is a 4 from just looking at that. It’s still another way of saying two 4 ohm cabinets in parallel, any way you connect them. It puts the amp in 2 ohm mode. The 1200 actually is two discrete channels.

1 Like

Porta Flex. I just sold them to make room for 2 15’s mesa cabs.

also it’s possible that there are two separate power amps with each a 4 ohm output. it can be useful with a crossover filter like on the old GK RB amps. you can plug a 4x10" into the “treble” amp and a 1x15" into the “bass” amp.

3 Likes

Good catch! I edited my post.

1 Like

I think the 1200 head is dual channel?

Next to the (4+4) there is also a little label saying 4 or 8. I think in most cases the switch needs to be down and for an 8+4ohms cab combo you prob have to use the switch.

I’m trying out the 500W fusion series atm. Absolutely loving it so far :slight_smile:

Those sound great to me.

1 Like

Ha! Look at that! I’m glad I looked at this thread today. I learned a lot about GK I hadn’t noticed.

3 Likes

Here’s my amp. It doesn’t have any tricks or bells and whistles up it’s sleeve so I thought i’d make it look a bit sexier with a black & white photo :rofl:

I’d be interested to hear from any other owners of the PF-500 what your thoughts are on the five different frequency settings. To my ears there is hardly any difference

6 Likes

if it’s like on the SVT, the frequency rotoswitch only works when the mids are not set to middle. personnaly on the SVT I prefer the 3rd frequency.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll play around with that but I do normally have the mids scooped a bit

1 Like