Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

@PamPurrs, do you happen to know how much your BB 5-string weighs?

1 Like

@howard
9.4 lbs including the Levy’s 4" leather strap.

2 Likes

excellent, thanks!

Trying to get a sense of how heavy my 5-string is (at 8.8 pounds) compared to others. Sadly a lot of manufacturers don’t post weights.

3 Likes

A fella at Guitar Center told me they do that because they don’t want people shopping by weight.

2 Likes

I could believe that :slight_smile:

I like my Warwick. Actually owning a 5 string is kind of convincing me I would have preferred a 4-string in BEAD though. Still not sold on a 5, 4 strings just feel better to me. We’ll see.

3 Likes

Very cool.
I’m always curious about names -
Care to share about the bass name on our little thread for such things… a-right here??

4 Likes

@howard 5 strings are definitely an acquired taste. I’ve played on 5 strings almost from the start, so it’s very natural to me. It’s nice to have that extra space to play on, and I especially love occasionally thumping out that low B and C.

2 Likes

Well with great bass comes great responsibility. Here’s my current line-up: '53 Fender P-bass (was my wife’s grandfather’s bass), Fender Jaguar and Epiphone Jack Casady.

17 Likes

That '53 P-bass is a real collector’s item! :slight_smile:

Welcome aboard

4 Likes

:astonished:

4 Likes

Holy cats.
It’s like you’ve got two modern soldiers guarding the holy grail there.
10-16K for something like that?
The vibes and grooves that have seeped into it’s very molecules?? How absolutely lovely.
Thanks for this introduction.

Also - I have a MIJ Jaguar. I love it. I HATED the electronics on it though. If you find yourself getting frustrated, just know that you can swap them out for standard J-bass pickups. You can use stacked pots for the volume controls (since there’s only one spot available on the Jag model).

Welcome to the forums.

4 Likes

!!! DAMN!!! BADASS COOL!!!

2 Likes

It’s “Papa Jack”, the fret board was blackened from nicotine and it wouldn’t play. It hadn’t been set up in over a decade. The plastic saddles had rotted and the wiring was shot. So I took it to a reputable luthier (his hands shook when he saw it). He updated the wiring and it plays like a dream. The pups are original, put some quality flats on it, and cleaned the fret boards a little. It was originally white, her grandfather stripped it and was going to repaint it, but he got called back to service for the Korean war. I was told it detracts from the value, but it’s the most beautiful instrument I have ever owned, so I will never change it. (Also will never, ever be for sale so that doesn’t matter).

My Jag, I really only use it on passive, not a huge fan of the active sound from it. I just liked the versatility of being able to switch between the pups to create different tones. It’s my workhorse.

8 Likes

That bass is like the card that trumps all the others - in here in any case :joy:

Welcome!

2 Likes

um stunning comes to mind you are a lucky man sir

2 Likes

I just can’t find the right collection of expletives! That is one hell of a bass family. I’m going with… DAMN! WOW! and HOLY SHIT!

I would love to hear some sound samples from that “Papa Jack”.

1 Like

I’m gobsmacked

1 Like

I have also taken to building my own, wish me luck

4 Likes

On request - a little status update here in March 2020! Two of them are up for sale :smile:

8 Likes

I guess the P is for sale but what is the other one ?