Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

um stunning comes to mind you are a lucky man sir

2 Likes

I just can’t find the right collection of expletives! That is one hell of a bass family. I’m going with… DAMN! WOW! and HOLY SHIT!

I would love to hear some sound samples from that “Papa Jack”.

1 Like

I’m gobsmacked

1 Like

I have also taken to building my own, wish me luck

4 Likes

On request - a little status update here in March 2020! Two of them are up for sale :smile:

8 Likes

I guess the P is for sale but what is the other one ?

Very nice, @joergkutter . . . I like them all, but particularly the middle one! :wink:

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

The J :cry:

The Yamaha is my go-to bass right now. I need to consolidate, and want to go for a bass with a PJ config… and also budget-wise, I need to get some funds… :wink:

3 Likes

The TRBii is such a cool bass. Glad you are keeping it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Don’t worry - that one is not going :smile:

4 Likes

Sorry, @joergkutter . . . I hate to admit that I’ve lost track, but is that TRBii the bass you ordered last August? :thinking:

I tried searching this out, but no luck.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Haha, hard to keep track of all that is going on here, @Jazzbass19… (and what with all the tongue-in-cheek smokescreens, innuendos and general goofing around…)

No, the one I had ordered back in August was a Chowny… now “un-ordered” :wink: (This situation was no longer tenable). The TRBii I bought used when I was still very much a beginner - took a leap of faith back then, and I am glad I did! They don’t show up very often on the used market - you could say they are almost vintage basses by now :grin:

3 Likes

Got it! Thanks for clearing that up for me, @joergkutter . . . I wouldn’t have wanted to wait that long either. The TRBii is certainly a beautiful bass :+1:

All best, Joe

P.S. I guess your “friend” was disappointed, too? :wink:

3 Likes

You betcha :wink:

4 Likes

All very nice, I am particularly drawn to the Yamaha. Love that look.

2 Likes

Bummer man, but yeah, that was a long wait, with no end in sight.

I think whatever my next bass is, I want the same thing - I would hope one gets the best of both worlds by being able to switch the pickup that is used, and, thus, getting the tone of both a P and a J? I think this was written about somewhere, but need a refresher, after trying out some P’s and some J’s. I tried the Fender Mustang, but didn’t click with me. Let us know what you pick and why.

2 Likes

PJ is not one bass to rule them all. I think it makes more sense than a single P though as it can do that and more. However, a JJ is still a preference of many for solo work and more. Certain types of music sound better on a P/PJ and some on a JJ. That’s why you need both. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Indeed… the potential delivery date was pushed back to end of May, but even that may not hold… that kinda broke the camel’s back…

Yes, I am afraid this whole issue about P, J, and PJ is - for many - an almost religious question. I am trying to approach it more from a practical point of view, and I think the PJ config offers a lot of flexibility. I would concede, though, that the J “performance” of a PJ is definitely weaker than the performance of a true J - but even all that is somehow subjective.

In the end, it almost always comes down to tone, feel and look (as very recently once more succinctly summarized by @eric.kiser in a different thread). Many others also share this mantra. And, @BassFaceDisgrace also had a great take on finding the right bass in yet another thread.

If you’ve seen my recent post from my visit to the Chicago Music Exchange, that should give you a pretty good idea :grin: To make this plan become viable from a financial point of view, I needed to cancel that existing order and get reimbursed, and I need to at least sell my Geddy Lee… and that should get me almost there… kinda…
About the “why”!? Everything just felt right about this bass when I picked it up and played it (and I came back again a few days later to play it again…) :smile:

4 Likes

Ahh, so the regally named Mayones is still on your mind! That would indeed be a bass to own. And if “everything just felt right”, and the plan of action is already in progress - well, we can’t wait to see it (and hear it too, as you’ve committed at some point, to that Covers thread :grin:).

And don’t feel bad about dropping the cash - I dropped around that much for this dental implant awhile back - turns out my body rejects any piece of metal (they tried twice)- on it or in it - (forget piercings or tats for me!). So, I’m scratching my head, missing a front tooth, still, wondering if this will be my “look” as a bass player :laughing:, and thinking about how I could have just bought a killer bass instead…

3 Likes

Oh, wow. Thanks for the story behind the artifact! So glad it’s found a happy and appreciating home.

And yes - my Jag is my go to for anything that I need a J-bass sound on. Though I replaced the pickups with EMG-Xs.

2 Likes