Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

This is some wood I got locally from a friend who is building a boat with this stuff. Black Locust. I feel it could be a very viable tone wood. I’m no luthier, but I play one on TV. Fast growing and dense. I’m going to try you use it to make a bass. He gave me another stick the other day and it has a live edge on the bark back. Will post that at a later time.

4 Likes

I don’t know that one. It is my email. I should change it. Wayoutenator comes from wayoutsculpture. A site i used to have.

3 Likes

yeah. I’m in training…

2 Likes

Oh, then you are way more legit than a cartoon!

On Phineas & Ferb the evil genius makes a machine in each episode and it nearly always has “-inator” as the suffix of its name.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one as I’m sure others are as well! There are some build threads around this site someplace.

2 Likes

audio engineer. Nice. You can help me with the electronics? Talk to me about cords. I recently got a roland from sweetwater. it is not silent. could be the amp or me but there is a small hum.

1 Like

I moved this conversation . . .

3 Likes

So my first, and thus far only bass, ESP LTD B50. It happened, that my friend who wanted to sell his old bass is left-handed like me, so I got a decent beginner leftie bass from him. I am now thinking of upgrading for a very slightly more high-end bass.

14 Likes

Came in the mail yesterday.

This thing feels ridiculously fast.

17 Likes

Love my basses…

18 Likes

Very nice! I really love the new color.

And yes, yes, welcome to the Yamaha Speed Freak club. I am addicted to the fast necks on the TRBX line. Feels better than any other bass I have tried - though the Ibanez SR’s come really close.

4 Likes

Love the SR on the left, is that a 1200?

2 Likes

I thought that till I tried Schecter, not to try and convert you, but you should try one if you like fast comfy necks.

2 Likes

Yeah they look awesome, will need to check one out someday.

1 Like

that is the sr2600 Premium. that bass has the 15 piece atlas neck. I had a trbx yamaha but sold it. ibanez has the best kneck imo.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of the SR necks i have tried, yeah. I really like the SR2400, will probably get one down the line if one ever turns up used. Still prefer the Yamaha neck to it but it’s probably mostly familiarity; they feel very similar.

2 Likes

Here’s my brand new Yamaha TRBX 604FM in Matte Amber. It plays like a dream. While waiting to get this thing set up, I was goofing around with a couple of basses with $4k price tags and honestly, I can barely tell the difference. My first bass that I bought for Josh’s lessons was a Yamaha RBX170, which was amazing. The faster I got into the lessons (I practiced at least an hour daily, every day, for 8 weeks), I realized that I wanted something better - so I bought a TRBX304 and put Rotosound 88s on it. Well, when I saw the TRBX604, I knew I had to upgrade. I bought 4 bass guitars in 4 months, and finally arrived at my “forever” bass - this TRBX604 (pictured below with headstock in second picture). My others are below.

!

22 Likes

Nice 604!

I am glad people are posting more angled shots of the natural and amber 604s, so that people can see that they are, in fact, gorgeous in person. All the shots you see online are head-on, which makes the quilt edge look like a funky extra contour, when in fact it’s just a cool color change.

@smethe You’re totally right that it will end up a forever bass. I love mine and have played many (many) more expensive basses in stores only found a couple that I can say I would “upgrade” to. The 604 (and 504) are just great all around basses at a very reasonable price.

The midrange Yamaha and Ibanez basses are just such a sweet spot for quality versus price. So good.

4 Likes

See you got a Sansamp and ampeg there too! Bet the combo of all of them with the new bass has a nice sound!

3 Likes

Well, this is my Schecter Stiletto Stealth. Plays and feels amazing, and I am talking in comparison to basses 2-3 times the price (tried a bunch out at guitar center and went home with this one). Pretty slick in the all Matte Black look.

21 Likes

Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear there are some Yamaha enthusiasts out there!

2 Likes