Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I might buy one :joy:

2 Likes

Have to sell a Ricky or a p bass to do it👍

3 Likes

When it is all said and done.
That orange MM Stingray, with that tiger print neck and matching headstock is to die for. I think that is my one true Bucket Bass.
But here is the reality of it.
Would I actually spend $3000 on a bass?
I would have to be in the situation to find out,
Cuz I can’t honestly say that I would.
at least not now.

3 Likes

I loved the one you put up with the grouse fretboard :+1:

3 Likes

I will let you buy it for me​:rofl::joy:

3 Likes

That’s the one I am talking about, but this clear orange one has it too, just not as prominent.
It’s a tough choice, but this is the clear winner.

3 Likes

I love it :+1::+1:

3 Likes

That’s what I am saying.

I WOULD LOVE TO OWN IT
But
I WOULD HATE TO BUY IT

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that for that kind of cash I’d want the double-buck. My one gripe with the 'ray design is the pickup position. I think they sound awesome, but would sound more awesome if that pickup was closer to the neck. The double-buck fixes that by giving you two :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My double buck will be in my hands later today, so I will tell you if I like the extra pick up more, less or equal.

3 Likes

Sweet! Post sound samples if you can, I’m super curious.

3 Likes

I would love to, but I still can’t get this Ipad GB going. I am hoping to be getting an older IMac on Monday, but the one the neighbor got didn’t have garage band loaded, and getting it was a pain, and not all that great of an option, Had to load Catalina on the unsupported system, so, other then GB, the whole system runs a bit slow.
I need to find an old copy of GB to install on it.

3 Likes

Hi @T_dub
I hope you get GB sorted👍
I’m sure Bill and myself will help you get it working really good.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Would be great. Learning it on the Ipad is proving to be a pain, cuz it is so different then on Mac.
I know it can be done, but with eveything I am trying to do, I have put that on the back burner, but if I get this IMac next week, should be up and running a bit quicker

4 Likes

Ho yes I forgot about the ESP, It was really interesting, I think it was my top 3 (after the Fender P and the Epiphone TB vintage pro). I was not really fan about the dark finish over the wood, but the neck was enjoyable! They have another but fretless with a really nice wood (Spalted Maple I think). I was really fan, but it seems ESP don’t make this model (with Spalted Maple) not in fretless. I must admit your B4E looks amazing!

3 Likes

Good luck! Hopefully you can find some way to get GB on the thing.

If you can’t, I just checked, and Reaper supports OSX all the way back to 10.5. So even if you can’t use GB, Reaper is definitely a great DAW that a lot of us use.

If you want something dead simple, there’s also always Audacity, but you will likely outgrow that fast if you want to do anything with virtual instruments, amp or cab sims in it.

3 Likes

Yeah, I am not partial to GB, I am limited to it on the Ipad, and I do not like using my Ipad for GB, at least not already having known it.
As long as I ca run Reaper on this computer, I will be getting it. If is updated all the way thru the very last version of El Capitan, the release prior to Catalina (in case you don’t know) and since others here use it and can help, that is a Paul’s.

What, if any are the benefits of Reaper over GB?
Do either do the Video stuff for like making covers
If not, does GB work easier with some of the IMac video editing programs (not knowing if they are even on this Mac or not), and will reaper work with them if they are loaded?

2 Likes

Comparing Reaper to GB isn’t directly fair to GB. Reaper is a full featured DAW with no limitations. The Apple analogue on OSX is Logic Pro.

GB can be thought of as a simplified/demo version of Logic Pro. It’s not, but that’s kind of a useful way to think of it. You can totally produce an album using GarageBand (and lots of artists have). But it limits you in some ways, often for simplicity. One example that comes to mind is the way you manage effects with it. Reaper and Logic are more or less unlimited here but GB allows a somewhat simplified interface for it while limiting the number and types of effects.

On the other hand, GarageBand is really easy to use, and get up and running with. Reaper is a lot more complicated than GarageBand when you’re first getting started and don’t fully understand it yet.

For video production, the corresponding Apple software would be iMovie and Final Cut Pro X. These have the same relationship between them as GB and Logic Pro do.

Apple did a fantastic job with GB. It’s a great piece of software, and it is basically free, with a lot of add-ons available for easy download and install.

As this shows:

Basically, GB is really really capable, but Logic takes off where GB leaves off and provides more full DAW functionality. And Reaper is more directly comparable to Logic Pro.

2 Likes

And the obvious follow-on question of Reaper vs Logic Pro - Both are great IMO, but Logic Pro comes with a lot more plugin content that you would otherwise need to download and install if you want it on Reaper. Logic comes with a bunch of virtual instruments and effects out of the box. Reaper comes with a couple (including an excellent sampler) but generally you need to download what you want. Additionally, the Drummer support in Logic (and GB) is super nicely presented. With Reaper you can do all these things but need to install it yourself. For people that know what they are looking for this is ok; however, having a bunch of that support built in is great and Apple presents it all nicely.

Logic is also inexpensive ($200 vs $60 for Reaper) and all in all packs a lot of punch in for that $200.

If I had primarily been doing my music work on my mac I would definitely be using Logic Pro.

2 Likes

HH or even Hh (or HS) are different beasts all together compared to a single pickup. A lot of people (not you) mistakenly think if you get a HH you are getting the best of both worlds, but panning to only the rear pup does not give you the same sound as a single pup. My bongo is HH but my preference is the single H cuz I’m kind of an old school guy and I like the sound and the look. All 3 sound different and it’s really what you want. Although a lot of people think 2 pups gives you more flexibility and I do think that’s true to some extent. But I personally never touch any knobs on my bass and do all my tone adjustments on my eq.

3 Likes