Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

H:

Hh (HS):

images

HH:

download

6 Likes

8 Likes

That’s different, very metal in a non metal finish. I like it.

4 Likes

@darklordofbass

I love short scales, but for whatever reason the mustang style has never appealed to me. But that black beauty really looks awesome!

3 Likes

Nice! ESP?

3 Likes

yeah, the MIA Deluxe (and whatever other names in that range, depending on the year) are active and some MIM are too. that’s a 9v preamp with active/passive capability, I think.

4 Likes

Glarry’s.

3 Likes

My learning set up not the best amp. But i don’t and I can’t use it that much because of the complaining neighbor’s. Having fun with this lesson.

10 Likes

I’ve seen a black version of your bass I think @KiltedCowboy but never one like yours !

3 Likes

It looks a whole lot like an ESP F-Series :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you. I quite like it as well. It sounds and feels great.

3 Likes

Yeah, those Glarry’s are really cool looking, and super cheap, and pretty good quality as far as inexpensive basses go.
I would have bought one a long while ago had they been in stock.
Now that they are in stock, I already have my ESP LTD Araya FRZ by the time they got back in stock.
Had I not had the Araya FRZ, I would probably have ordered the Glarry, really for the fun of it.
I still would love to get an ESP LTD F-4E one day, for the reason pointed out above, “Very Metal Looking in a Non Metal Way”
The LTD F-4E is basically the same as my LTD B-4E, but with the F body shape.
Defiantly one of my Bucket List basses

If I only had 2 or 3 basses, I would get one of the Glarry’s, but with my collection, I am going to pass.

1 Like

Yes @itsratso, I fully get the points you make about the H vs HH, and that is the reason my first Stingray Ray purchase was a Ray 4, and that is also why I just got (picked up today) a Ray 4HH.
I guess the better way to put it is, just how you did, I did not go and get the HH first, thinking it would be the best of both words. I got the Ray 4 because I wanted the classic Stingray, look, feel, sound. I got the Stingray 34 because I wanted the upper scale version, and the price was sweet, and cuz I love stingrays, and because it is a damn fine bass.
I now got the Ray4HH to play with a different feeling and sounding Stingray (which I have not done yet, only had time to get it set up, have not fully tested the waters with an amp yet), and because I love stingrays, and am setting out to have a collection, which will naturally spread the scope of pick up configurations and electronic variations that are in the line.

I will say, that I learned to, and commonly do slap on my HH basses, my B-4E and SR400 among others,
I slap on my stingrays as well, and really did not think much about how the HH would affect that.

I watched Marcello on YouTube reviewing the H and HH Stingray 34’s, He did bring up all the points you did on your other post, but he also compared the two styles for slapping. and how it is not really easy or practical on the HH version.
Because I slapped on my double buck basses all the time, I thought, “come on, it can’’t be that bad Marcello, you must just be spoiled with all the nice basses you have to choose from”. LOL
But after setting up my new Ray 4HH, tuning and stretching they strings and re tuning and playing and re-tuning etc… I started slapping, it really helps to stretch the strings (that I pop on, so all but the E string) and I really did feel exactly what he was talking about, there is a huge difference, and that is only Playing it, I have not even tested it for the sound, but I am sure there is a pretty distinct difference.

Lastly, I don’t know the history well enuf to state this as fact, but FWIU, Leo Fender started developing the Stingray for the Slap (thump) players of the day that really were looking for something different. That being the reason for the heavy pick up, and for the placement of it. Correct me if I am wrong please, but I thought it was Larry Johnson (if I got his name right) that was talking about how Leo was making him a bass just for “thumping”, and he was playing the very new style bass, a Stingray, so I just sort of put 2 and 2 together, with my assumption as to the history of the Stingray and Slapping or thumping.

2 Likes

that’s a cool story, i have never heard that it was being built for larry. whether true or legend, i now choose to believe that’s how it happened :rofl: i had always heard it the other way around that they built the bass first and because of the active electronics/hi output the funk and disco guys started to pick up on it. and yeah, i got a lot of the HH versus H from that marcello video, it’s a good one. i personally don’t think HH interferes with slap bass, i think it’s just a matter of what you’re used to. you can certainly find a ton of videos with guys slapping the hell out of HH basses.

3 Likes

I may not have come across properly. I did not mean it completely interfered, or that it can’t be done successfully, and I do it on all my other HH basses.
What I meant really was, there is a difference in the feel when slapping on an H to an HH. I did n’t really think there would be, and not much else about the bass feels any different.
The big square pick ups with big square housing, stic,ing up straight across with no sland or rounding like on my SR300, or like you see on the bridge pick ups on Yamaha’s, the slant. Those don’t have the same “interference” affect that the pick ups on the stingray HH’s do. Of course, with small adjustments to where and how you play, you can certainly do it, but what I was getting at was, it feels a lot different, and it is very noticeable.

3 Likes

I guess it comes down to how you play maybe? I don’t really notice it between mine. But I’m not the most observant person alive :joy:

3 Likes

Hey, I felt like sharing my humble beginnings like the newbie that I am.

Here is my very first bass, a low-end Yamaha TRBX 174!

besides the neck pickup being in the way sometimes, I quite like it :slight_smile: though I’m already tempted to get another bass … and I get the feeling that this temptation isn’t gonna go away anytime soon.

15 Likes

@KerrEB she looks fair bonnie love the colour
Jamie

2 Likes

Sounds like you could be acquiring a serious GAS there @KerrEB
Yamahas are great basses👍
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

This is my Fender Vintera 70’s Jazz Bass.

11 Likes