Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I just love that color :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

It was the only one available, was really torn between the h and hh. Plugged it in…now I’m a happy stan. Although this is the first active bass I’ve ever played,nevermind owned,so between the two band eq of the green hornet and the rumble eq I…well let’s put it this way- I had my hand ,sometimes both ,on one knob or another all evening! I’ll get my coat

7 Likes

Ha! I’ve had both setups, and I liked them both.

5 Likes

I’m sure I would have been more than satisfied with the single pick up,I was pretty happy with my squier affinity pj to be honest. It’s just that the nice man at the shop said I could trade the old girl in and…well I only went to get the pj set up and came out with the green hornet, a rumble , a zoom and some headphones :man_shrugging: :grin:

6 Likes

I absolutely love that and Ampeg knock off one of my favorite bass players is Rick Danko he’s the play that bass they are so nice I played one a few times and they’re very expensive The Originals anyway

5 Likes

11 Likes

Google Photos

10 Likes

Ooh. That’s a serious PA.

7 Likes

Welcome @dcjenniferm! Im pretty new here as well, and its been nothing but good experiences so far. Low End lovers get along well together.

4 Likes

I’ve wanted to play forever, and finally took the plunge! I got equipment advice from a friend. When I looked at pics of this Jackson Spectra JS3Q online, something about it spoke to me. I love the black chrome hardware and the amber/blue coloring. The burled wood look is cool too. Not that I know good from bad yet, but it seems nicely balanced and comfortable to play. I was not impressed with the build quality. I had to immediately resolder a couple of connections on the jack, and pretty much every nut was loose. I also think the hex socket in the end of the truss rod is messed up. I’ll have a pro look at it soon. Overall I’m happy with it :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

I think you hit on what I’ve been trying to figure out. Are you talking about the sort of sound you hear a lot in fusion jazz? Jaco Pastorius and Percy Jones come to mind. How do they get that expressive “mwah” sound? I’ve been wondering if it’s technique, electronics, or something with the bass hardware itself. That’s the sound I’m shooting for.

2 Likes

Jaco used rounds. Except on his fretless.

Actually he might have even used rounds on his fretless, I just don’t know for sure.

If by “mwah” you mean the kind of growly tone, that’s often a characteristic of pickups - usually J and some humbuckers.

2 Likes

It’s not a growl. I’m finding it really hard to describe lol. It’s more like a wah. Like the notes are talking. Not just a straight consistent tone for the whole duration of the note. Think of the teacher’s voice in Charlie Brown for lack of a better example.

1 Like

Jaco used some effects, notably Chorus. Is that what you are hearing?

He might have used a wah pedal for all I know :slight_smile:

edit: apparently Jaco used a delay pedal in a way that sounded like chorus. I’d just go for a chorus pedal myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My Harem.

16 Likes

This video from YouTube gives a good illustration of the “Mwah” sound on a fretless bass.

Fretless Bass “Mwah” Tutorial

3 Likes

That is a wonderful harem @saxybill1

2 Likes

:grin: Thanks Chris! That has been a mystery for so long for me! That’s exactly what I was looking for. The bad news is that it looks like I’ll need a fretless bass to make it happen :confused:. Step 1: finish the B2B course. Step 2: learn to play fretless. Okay, there are probably some years in between those steps lol.

3 Likes

Ahh cool! Mystery solved :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice one @JerryP, how do you like her so far?

I have that one too. I love the color of the body with the maple fretboard and headstock.
Unfortunately, I really do not like the 2nd H, and I am going to be getting rid of it. Its all good, I have a few single H’s to hold me over.

Like this one, my latest.
As promised, sorry for the long wait @TNKA36 Brian
Better late than never.

EBMM Stingray 4 - 3eq - Slo Special

Sounds GREAT. I have only played on it for a few minutes due to health issues, but as I slowly get back to playing, I will get some great use out of it.

I was not a fan of white, just because it is kind of dull. I like rich, loud colors, but the sleek look of a bright white bass with all black hardware and pick ups with a ebony fretboard has started to appeal more and more to me.
I might go that route, but it wold mean not using genuine MM hardware, or paying about $400 to I have been told. but with that cost, and not having a dark fretboard, it might not be as nice as I would hope for, so I may opt for finding some really cool custom pick guards and have option for a few different personalities with this bass.
either-way, this pick guard has to go.

for the immediate, I am going strip the strings, give it a good cleaning, inside and out, and polish up the hardware, then throw some Hybrid Slinky’s on it, and give it a good set up, although it is not very far off, but I can still get it a little better.

7 Likes