Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Oooooooh the white stingray looks delicious to me!
I’ve found out,as I suspected and even after only a few days,that the second H isn’t really necessary for me either. It does rob you of some real estate in terms of right hand space and also destroys my daughter’s ambitions for a custom pickguard design.
But I don’t regret getting the HH in the slightest( well apart from the much better choice of colours with the single H). I can see myself setting the bass eq and amp just right to "flick " between the five positions of the selector and the use of the overdrive footswitch on the amp to cover most of the tone I’m after without the necessity to fumble with anything else.

I’m adding the hipshot drop D tuner and taking her for a professional setup soon too.
So far this is the best bass I ever hoped of having and the comparably thin neck- to my previous PJ- is both fun and fast.Although I’d hesitate to say it’s better as such,because I still see a P bass with a jazz pickup in my future.

3 Likes

Yes, My first Ray4H is by far my go to bass, and has become my favorite of all basses.
I got a Ray34, and I do like it, but it does not feel as fast and easy to play as the Ray4. After looking over the differences between the basses, it is when I saw that the Ray4 and Ray24 use the SLO or Sterling neck, which is like the Jazz neck for Fender, and the Ray34 and most EBMM Ray’s use a neck that is wider at the nut, more like the Pbass neck.
I was considering looking at EBMM Sterling 4H (and still will at some point) because it uses the 32mm (1.5") at nut width neck, and that is the difference between the Ray4 that i have and love and the Ray34 that I have and like almost to the point of love, but don’t like the neck as much.
This Ray4 SLO special (San Louis Obispo Special) had just the neck I wanted on a 3 band eq Ray 4H, and the price was right, so I snatched it up, knowing that it will be one of my go to bass’s, and with care, will be a bass for life.
I would probably take my cheap Ray4 outside the house to play with friends or a show (if ever), and keep the EBMM safe at home, just to keep the EBMM for life and I know I can replace the Ray4 for next to nothing almost anyday of the week, and maybe they will release a new color one year that I would like to grab anyway, for a $300 bass, that is doable, but for $2500 basses, it is not as easy to get a new one because you like and want a new color. LOL

3 Likes

As far as the Ray4HH, same, I don’t need the extra pick up, and it does get in the way. I bought it after having the Ray4, and thought it would just be something to add tonal options, but it turned out that I do not care for what it gives plus I prefer the extra open space I get with the 4H, but there is nothing wrong with it at all, and the color is bas ass.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying all that,because I was wondering what other differences there are in the dizzying world of musicman and sterlings. I was eyeing up the 34,but it was out of reach for now.
I totally get looking after " her indoors" ,the forever bass, in the best way possible. It still amazes me when someone pulls out an instrument out of a case after 40 years and it’s absolutely perfect.
I think my sub4 will become a platform for me to learn what I need about modding and ,more importantly, proper maintenance

3 Likes

I’m loving it so far. I’m finishing up a cover with it for her debut.

4 Likes

Really really nice, T. I gotta try a slo neck. At some point I’m going to have a EBMM ray, just gotta find the right one.

4 Likes

That SLO is beautiful :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Brand new to Bass Buzz and the forum. I thought the first post should be in the “Show Us Your Basses” thread. My brother who is a guitarist always tried to get me to play as a kid. Being left handed I never really could figure things out and it was really hard for me to learn and get the fingering down. Skip ahead many years with my brother still playing the guitar, I decided that I should try bass so we could play together. I had made up my mind that I was going to get a left handed one and this might make things easier for me. I had to do some searching but I was able to find this used Squire P-Bass. I was not a lot of money so I figured if I didn’t like it I could probably sell it back for about what I paid for it. I bought it and I really like playing with left handed. I have learned a few thing but I think it is time I get serious about it and learn more so my brother and I can really play together.

I have bought one more that I will post pictures of later, but this is the one I use most. It is the one that gave me the bass bug!

15 Likes

Welcome @BigRichieO!

4 Likes

Welcome @BigRichieO

4 Likes

I’m a simple person. I see green, I like

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @BigRichieO,
Nice bass, enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

You must love frogs then @Dr.Loveless​:rofl:. :joy:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Ibanez TMB100, purchased new last year. The image isn’t flipped, the bass is left-handed. No real modifications yet, but I did put flat-wound strings on.

2019 Schecter SLS Elite Evil Twin-5, also purchased new, also left-handed. Swamp ash body and a neck-through design. The neck is a carbon-reinforced 7-ply Maple/Walnut/Padauk with a 16" radius and jumbo stainless steel frets, all set off with Roman numeral fret markers. This model features Fishman Fluence active pickups which have a 3-way toggle switch tapping into three distinct tone variations. This one was an acute case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I saw this one on the same day I had an unexpected windfall, so… I’m sure almost everyone here knows THAT story. I don’t play this one as much since I want to become more proficient first. Again, no big mods yet, but I replaced the round-wound strings with tape-wounds.

15 Likes

That Schecter is a real beauty!

5 Likes

Stando “would you like fries with that MM Sir?” That really was some serious Up-Selling, from a Squier PJ bass set up to a “full setup”!

5 Likes

Gorgeous!

6 Likes

In my defence I woke up that day full of innocence. All I needed was a set of new strings for my old bass and a setup. There isn’t a man,woman or vegetable that could have foreseen the perfect storm of unfortunate events that was brewing just outside of my scope of cognition.
The Sterling and I crossed paths by pure chance ,while I was waiting my turn to speak to the man behind the counter. It is entirely possible that it was the heavens themselves that whispered " green hornet" and not me, as is claimed by the other witnesses.
I solemnly swear that it was in jest when I asked if the shop did trade-ins.
From that moment on I claim acute amnesia and I have no recollection how I acquired the amp,the footswitch, the effects pedal and two cables. I admit to buying the headphones and blame @JoshFossgreen for the acquisition of the hipshot drop d tuner . He reviewed it and I’m just an impressionable, simple man.
As you can see, no man could be helped in a similar situation and my google history containing the searches for :" black bridge, black control panel and worthwhile upgrades for sterling sub4 " doesn’t prove that I have, as her honourable lady- my missus- claims, a problem.

10 Likes

No judgement here!
I have been guilty in the past of buying a few ‘black’ basses, with rosewood fretboards and leaving them in gig bags in various spots. That way I could pretend that my wife didn’t spot how many I had! It didn’t work, I was buying them on our credit card and she could see what I was spending! Use cash for GAS.

5 Likes

Now that’s an all-rounder :heart_eyes:
I have the same as a 4-string and I love it, even though my preference goes to another bass at the moment :sweat_smile:

3 Likes