Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

@Jazzbass19, I’m a complete beginner so anything I say has to be taken at face value as a personal opinion with little experience or technical knowledge behind it, but;

What I know from trying a few basses before buying this one is that it’s heavy. Not unusable heavy, but compared to most budget basses you notice it. That said, I’m using a nylon guitar strap at the moment so I haven’t tried to mitigate the weight through my shoulder aspect.

The neck dive is quite pronounced if you are standing and let go of it - it will slide towards the ground and settle pointing downwards to some degree - so you will either be using some of your fret hand strength to hold it up, or you will do what I do. I suspect your clothes, the bass finish, and what shape your belly is all have an effect on this. My bass is natural wood finish, I’m always wearing cotton t-shirts, and I have a definite beer belly for it to swivel on. That said, when seated it’s not a problem (obviously), and when standing I naturally rest my right forearm/wrist on the edge of the body. What I realised I was doing is putting weight downwards through my wrist to pivot the neck up. Some people have modified their T-bird by moving the strap button to the neck block (moving the pivot point by an inch or so), and some have even screwed into the neck itself - which just sounds like madness to me.

What I’ve decided I like most about this bass, especially over the lighter and better balanced Peavey, is the smooth neck. I lowered the action a little and between that and the natural wood finish on the neck (silky smooth) I find it easier to get around the frets. I’d tried a couple of basses that had glossy necks and just found my thumb getting stuck. The neck is also thin, which makes it easier to get a good arch in the fingers.

The electronics side is still a mystery to me as I’m not playing enough to worry about what settings to use. It’s full volume, both pups, mid treble and mid active bass.

The advice I’d give is the same as always; get to a store that has one or two of them and try them out. Check where the strap is attached and see how it sits for your chosen playing position. I have adopted quite a high position and I have the neck angled more steeply than I’ve heard some teachers recommend, but it eases the wrist angle.

I have to tinker with strings on the Peavey today and I’m planning to do some swapping between the two guitars, and hopefully record a bit of a before/after video for sound comparison. Alas, my playing isn’t going to make it an entertaining listen, but it might be revealing as I swap from round wound to flat.

4 Likes

Don’t worry, we are ALL learning here, @PeteP! . . . :wink:

Thank you SO much for your detailed and thoughtful answer! Yes, I have heard about the neck dive and there may be some ways around it as you’ve pointed out. Glad to hear that you like the feel and the thinness of the neck, though. Those impressions are important to me. My current bass weighs in at just over ten pounds, so I’m not too worried about weight, and I use a wide leather strap so slippage should be minimal.

Is it a bolt-on neck, though? I’m debating whether to go Epiphone vs Gibson on this. If I’m not mistaken, I think there is a higher-end Epi that has the through-neck design?

Agreed . . . :+1: . . . there’s a Guitar Center about a half hour away (Virginia may be for lovers, but it’s NOT for drivers lol) , but they don’t have any Gibson T-Birds, just the Epi. I will definitely have to check it out . . .

Good luck working on your Peavey and thanks again, Joe

3 Likes

@Jazzbass19

Joe, I’ve made a very short clunky video of my T-bird being tortured (I didn’t warm-up practice or even think about playing anything other than a few notes of a major scale) but the point was to show the neck dive. I hadn’t realised until watching it back just how far towards the bridge I play as a result of the balancing act.

Mine is a thru-neck build, but I don’t know if that’s because it’s the Pro series or if they all are.

I’ll be completely honest and tell you that I bought it because I fell in love with the wood finish. The shape does nothing for me either way (other than to make the balance wrong) and I have no affinity with any manufacturer (other than a few small biases against some lesser makers).

I think there’s a significant difference in price between Epiphone and Gibson, though I believe the standard pick-ups etc are the same. Good luck with it and update this page if you come to a conclusion.

Now I’m off to restring it with flat wounds.

3 Likes

I’m with you. Of all the basses I have tried, I much prefer the ones with satin or natural neck finishes over the glossy ones.

3 Likes

I kept it short because my playing was shocking. No warm-up etc. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

Here’s the neck dive video.

- YouTube

3 Likes

Got it, @PeteP . . . I would think that a wider strap with a rough (suede-like) inside texture may help somewhat. I do like the wood finish, too!

And yes, if you have a neck-through design, it is the Pro series . . . :slight_smile:

Thanks for your YT video and I left you a thumbs up on it, FWIW

All best, Joe

4 Likes

Hi folks !
I curently own two basses :

Fender Precision, made in USA, 2004. it’s a “highway one” model with a cute custom color and a DiMarzio DP122 pickup, I love this one and play it all the time :

the other one is a Yamaha SBV-500 “flying samurai”. this one is really great but it has a JB-like thin neck and I much prefer the big P necks, so I almost never play this one :confused: as I’m a new user I can’t upload more than one image, so, no pic for the Yam’ !

14 Likes

Nice looking bass, and welcome aboard, @terb . . . :slight_smile:

All best, Joe

2 Likes

Beautiful P bass @terb, I love that color!

And welcome to the forum! I just bumped your user trust level manually so you should be able to show us the Yamaha now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thank you ! :slight_smile: so here is the Yamaha !

12 Likes

Very pretty color :slight_smile:

Nicely photographed, too!

2 Likes

Those are cool. The first time I saw one I thought it was a Fender with a custom headstock.

Edit: just remembered where I first saw one. There’s a bass-heavy Devo-inspired band here whose bassist rocks one. She’s pretty solid, too:

3 Likes

@mizweirdo What kind of Ibanez is that?

Welcome, @terb!

Really interesting looking Yamaha (and your “location” shots are great! - Lol)

-Kevin

3 Likes

@kevwheez the location is about 3 meters away from my kitchen :slight_smile: some places in France are really nice, isnt it ? :star_struck:

@howard I happen to be a big fan of Polysics and I must confess I bought this Yamaha because Fumi plays an SBV :slight_smile: (she plays SBV 550 and not 500 like mine, but the 550 is even more rare than the 500)

4 Likes

Oh awesome! I’m actually just recently discovering them, they’re great. Fumi really rocks that thing.

3 Likes

sure ! you must see the live “Polysics or die !” 2008 where Fumi has an insane bass sound :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

welcome, and thanks tons for the bass shots. Lovely scenery, and that samurai bass!!! I’m in love.

4 Likes

Yeah I kind of want one of those SBVs. Unique looking bass, kind of like an upside down Warwick with a headstock designed by a shredding guitar hero. Totally awesome look.

I am such a Yamaha fanboy.

4 Likes

I totally should have added Fumi to this post:

as she’s a perfect example too.

3 Likes