Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Wow that’s so cool! So you cut the neck/body wood and everything yourself? On the bass, not the dog, of course.

And yeah I think I see the resemblance of the headstock to another brand… :stuck_out_tongue:

Keep us in the loop about new bass tech, very intriguing!

3 Likes

The source of my inspiration. Marcus Miller at the St Emilion Jazz Festival

4 Likes

That was a cool video. He has his thumb planted on the E the whole time.

2 Likes

Never noticed - was just enthralled by the pitch shifting pedal he was using.

1 Like

He does move to the pickup cover sometimes. But also since he’s using an octave pedal, he’s not using his E string as much as he normally might.

2 Likes

This beautiful gal doesn’t have a name yet, but I got her about a month and a half ago, and I love her so. :two_hearts:
(Please excuse the cheesy FB frame decoration, lol)

16 Likes

t-rex arms! so funny. I also have a short scale because I simply cannot reach anything on a regular scale bass.

4 Likes

My main bass is a Fender Jazz Bass, just love it. I also have a Hofner violin bass it’s short scale and has that early Beatles sound.

4 Likes

I have a standard Jazz, and I’m about to pull the trigger on a fretless P. I can work them, but it’s so much easier with a short scale. On the regulars scale, I don’t have the reach, so I’m practicing sliding.

3 Likes

Pretty! I like those basses a lot.

Classics! I’d love to add a Hoftner-style bass to my repertoire, if only to amuse myself at home playing along with Paul. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This brings up a great subject - not sure if it fits here or not… but: naming the bass? Anyone out there a bass namer? I never have been. I usually call them “The Modulus” or “The P-Bass” - feels like a name, but it’s not an extra naming process. I’ve always been curious how people go about giving their instruments names.

4 Likes

Yes I want to know what people think of that too! Starting a thread - here.

2 Likes

New bass day! I go back to Iowa frequently to see Mom and do stuff for her around the house. I thought it would be nice to have a bass around, so I went to GC and picked up a Bronco and a Fender Rumble 25, and the ancillary gear that goes along with it.

I asked Mom for a corner to store it. She said the bass was so pretty I could leave it in the living room as art. Lol! I played the Billie Jean groove I painstakingly learned. She was impressed. I can also do a passable intro to Smoke on the Water.

The tinkerer in me won’t be satisifed, so when I come back next month, I’ll have new strings and a better bridge. I’ll bring my setup tools too.

That’s right. Mom still has shag carpet in the breezeway!

17 Likes

The bass is rad… the shag carpet though - steals the show!

8 Likes

love that bass, the color and the whole mod thing going on in that house, those tiles are cool.

2 Likes

Looks great!

My grandma had a carpet rake just for shag carpet!

8 Likes

Yeah, the carpet is clearly the main subject in this photo. :slight_smile: Let us know how you like the Bronco! I haven’t played one for years, I remember being kinda meh about it.

1 Like

I don’t know if it will be meh, or not. But it will serve it’s purpose and give me something to do while I’m visiting Mom.

4 Likes

For sure. Didn’t mean to diss your new bass, hope you love it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know you didn’t. It’s all good. I’m such a noob still, that any bass is cool as heck. It will probably stay that way, too. :grinning:

6 Likes