Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Love the one on the bottom left… What type of bass is that?

4 Likes

Was thinking the same :joy: I mean, what kind of a high quality collection one must have to not being able to feature the Ricks upfront :exploding_head: :smile:

5 Likes

OK Brian, @TNKA36. Maybe I could do a swap … your awful red Rickenbacker for my awesome black Yamaha…Understand I wouldn’t do this for everyone. I have a lot of emotional attachment to that Yamy. ( any previous posts about a black Yamaha are obviously Fake News… my account must have been hacked)

8 Likes

No Joerg, @joergkutter, I kept them way back safely in the guitar rack out of harms way😁
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Are you talking about the 5 string Mike @Mike_NL🤔
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

@TNKA36 yes, the five-string with the natural, two-tone finish :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

It’s a custom bass I had made in Sydney Mike @Mike_NL,
It has passive pick ups, it’s neck through and it is pretty heavy.
I am practicing with it at the moment and will be using it on my next cover.:+1:
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

@TNKA36 it looks beautiful! I can’t wait to hear what it sounds like :metal:

7 Likes

No still waiting :slight_smile:

6 Likes

give us a review when it shows up :+1:

5 Likes

Nice acoustic!

2 Likes

oh gosh u got one! I forgot to get back to you sorry! Hope you like it!

1 Like

HE has way too much cool content, I can look past the stupid lobster claw.

Yeah, but josh already had the banana on the arm, so take that off the list

Again, enough cool stuff, I can get past the dumb lobster, or fast forward past it

5 Likes

you sure that is the whole family?
Where are you hiding your newest one?
and that still has two Rick’s.

I think it is time for a new family portrait.

5 Likes

Yep he really does.

5 Likes

Hey Toby @T_dub,
Your right I should probably do an updated family portrait, now that Mac has the black Ricky and I’ve welcomed Ernie into the family :+1:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I agree. His content is too cool. He’s just having fun with that lobster. Kudos to someone who will be himself.

5 Likes

Here is my bass, I call it my “zombie” bass because it was unplayable (dead) when I dug it out of my attic (my sister played it a bit in high school) when the pandemic started. The strings were dead and the nut was cracked, the action was insanely high as well. It is a “Grande” (which was a badge that was made by Yamaki in the 80s) J style bass.

I ran to GC and by chance they had a spare nut that seemed to match the type needed, they gave it to me for free which was nice. I also lucked out and found a pair of fresh Ernie ball hybrid round wounds in the guitar bag my sister had. Thus began the process of bringing it back to life (making it playable).

I replaced the nut and put on the new strings, I checked out the truss rod which was corroded and seemed to be as tight as it safely could be, the action was still ludicrously high, and on top of that the neck was warped. Oh and the bridge pickup only works at full volume, not sure why.

I ended up DIYing a shim to lift the neck a bit which made it playable. Not great but it gets the job done, unfortunately the A string has a habit of popping out of the nut (hence the paracord behind the nut), which was how I found it when the old nut was on as well, not sure if I installed the new nut poorly or not, all the other strings are fine. And that is the story of my bass, I’ll try to make a video of me playing it at some point so you can see and hear it in action.

Also this article is really helpful for tracking down the maker for MIJ basses: Japanese Manufacturers of Made in Japan Badged Electric Guitars From 1960–1980 - Spinditty

11 Likes

There is just something completely bad azz and rock and roll about a bass like this, nicely done :+1:

4 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes