Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

The brand name is actually Morgan Monroe. This model would seem to be the Viking. Their website doesn’t mention this bass (or any basses for that matter), so I guess they don’t make them anymore. Definitely does like nice though! Reminds me of my Yamaha TRBX304.

4 Likes

There’s a seller on Reverb giving some insight. Not sure about the listed price though, but they seem hard to find :wink:

5 Likes

Thank you for the info. It’s a solid bass has a really good sound. Got it for less than $400, believe I got my money’s worth. Well pleased with it.

5 Likes

Thank you for the info. I’m well pleased with it, got it for less than $400. Think I got my money’s worth, once I start progressing through the B2B course who knows may plug my Santa’s for another to get a coupe more.

4 Likes

Thank you! Has a great sound!

4 Likes

Thank you. I’m glad to be here.

5 Likes

current murderers row

14 Likes

A lefty, I am too! Welcome @BigRichieO !

2 Likes

My very first bass at 56, an Austin AJB300, bought with a Blackstar amp. A lifelong dream to learn Bass Guitar.

19 Likes

Nice little package. Congrats on starting to make your life long dream, a reality!

6 Likes

That is a very handsome bass.

4 Likes

Make your dreams happen!
And then starting with such a good looking bass, that’s pretty awesome.

4 Likes

Hi guys

I promised myself a new bass as a reward/incentive for completing the B2B, however a series of happy circumstances meant I took delivery of my new guitar this weekend. (I also thought getting through Billie Jean unscathed meant I qualified for a new guitar :slight_smile:

I went for the Ibanez GSR200 SM in Natural Grey burst.

It doesn’t look as woody brown in reality…

I know Josh gave it a bit of a hard time in the reviews, but I love the look of it, and so far it sounds great. It plays much better than my trusty £70 Harley Benton P bass and I like the tone I get out of it…although there isn’t a huge range in the tones.

Cheers
Matthew

18 Likes

It certainly does, @MattHinchliffe . . . :wink:

Congrats on your new bass, and hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it!

Cheers
Joe

10 Likes

You have created the Billie Jean excuse! That is a dangerous thing. :wink:

11 Likes

@MattHinchliffe whatever bass makes you happy that is the bass for you! Enjoy it I like my new Ibanez it has been great

11 Likes

Donner DPB-510s, a P-bass knockoff. Surprisingly good, and even better when re-strung with Rotosound Swing Bass strings.

My next one, addition rather than replacement, is a J-bass. I’m looking for an inexpensive “clone” or a DIY kit. Any reccos?

11 Likes

For a Jazz, what’s your price range? Ibanez SR300 looks nice, as does a Yamaha TRBX304, which did very well in a review by this site. Both have humbuckers instead of single coils. If you can find one, the Squier Paranormal Jazz is very popular. To the point that most places sold out.

How does the Donner sound?

5 Likes

I’ve owned a 304 and it’s a stellar bass for the money.

I own a 604 now and have no problem making it growl like a J-Bass :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am guessing you want more of a Fender style Jazz bass like you got a fender style P-bass clone.
They seem to be a plenty, with lots of companies making them and assembling and selling them with different brands plastered on the headstock especially if you are looking new you can get

Glarry. from Glarry . com
Harley-Benton from thomman
IVY - amazon
Squire Affinity - Amazon and many other places
and others just searching on amazon or Reverb

alot of those knock off’s, like the donner and Ammoon and Ivy and Glarry, and possibly even Harley-Benton, are all made from the same parts made side by side in the same factories and at the end get a different name put on the headstock, depending on the color variation and what sales company is going to buy them and distribute.

If it were me, getting either an inexpensive P-bass or J-bass, I would probably start with Squire Affinity and see if I could find a price and color I could live with. Next I would go Glarry.
Heard good things.
they have their own website and distribute themselves as well as thru Amazon and other places.
and have lots of options, colors, styles, etc…
They even have a metal looking bass that looks like a copy or knock off of the ESP LTD “F” line. I thought it was pretty cool, probably would have bought one at one point, just because, but I had opportunity to get the LTD Slayer bass before Glarry had any stock.
And because they ship from North America. not that I can’t get from Thomman, but it is easier for me to deal with Glarry or Amazon.

Ivy and Jim Jamyz and some other of the same with a different name, all going for close to the same price as each other, all on Amazon I would be ok to try too. I have seen Low End Lobster do the IVY I think.

Otherwise, if you stumble across another name that looks like the same, order it up and do a full review and write up on it, for fun and for the hell of it.

also, if you are not looking for the specific Fender J-style Clone for under $200 or under $150, like others have already said, then the Ibanez or Yamaha or even some Jacksons are looking good.
plus
that Squire Paranormal, (they do have on amazon right now, I checked) , does look pretty cool too me also

5 Likes