Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

That is gorgeous!!!

6 Likes

Congrats on your new bass. Amazing colors on it. Even though I’m not the biggest fan of maple necks but your bass does it justice because the colors flow so well! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Awesome, hope it plays as good as it looks.

6 Likes

So, this just arrived today…

19 Likes

Whoa! Haven’t seen that before.

How do you like it?

7 Likes

that is one crazy pickup combo :crazy_face:

wait, hang on, is that stu hamm’s autograph?

7 Likes

It’s a Stu Hamm signature bass, but not an actual autograph. I plan on getting his autograph when I go to see his Master Class at Sweetwater in May.

I couldn’t make up my mind between a P, J, or P/J, so I did one better and found his signature Fender Urge II on Reverb.

8 Likes

I love it so far… The neck is a little chunkier than my Yamaha, but it seems to be a little easier to maintain technique (if THAT makes sense). The sound is exactly what I was looking for: thumpy P and burpee J at the same time.
It’s also 34" with a full two octaves.

6 Likes

Never heard of that model let alone seen one !
Enjoy :wink:

6 Likes

Yes, I have experienced the same thing.
Not when I was first starting up, the thin necks really seemed like they were way easier to play and I thought I would ONLY like them. I still prefer them, but when I play a chunkier neck, I find, when doing multi string fingering and , especially finger rolls across multiple strings (with hammer on’s on more than one string) that I am more accurate on the chunkier necks.

6 Likes

That’s quite a bass you’ve got there, @JPHaggerty . . . :+1:

Wish you lots of happy playing and great success with it :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

@jazzbass19 Thanks, Joe! I was just poking around discord and found the 50 songs in 100 weeks challenge. Should do nicely to warm up the new bass a little. LOL

5 Likes

That makes total sense. I went from a skinny Ibanez to a fat P-clone and have never looked back.

I recently bought a Ray4, as I love the sound, but I found it so difficult to play because of the narrow neck, that in several weeks I did only one B2B less on on it, preferring the P. So, back she went.

4 Likes

Killllller!
Gorgeous bass.
Stu is a San Franciscan. We met at a bass day at the music store I worked at, and I hit him up for a lesson.
He is a patient and gracious guy.
I wish I could take a do-over on that lesson… but 2 things he taught me in that hour I still think about and work on:
Practice slow. Slower than slow.
If you want to do excellent tapping, work out tapping with all four fingers of the RH in the same way you work on playing with all four fingers of the left hand.

Great bass from a great guy and a killer bassist.

10 Likes

Oops… that must be where I’m going wrong… When I practice it is more like:

8 Likes

been looking for one for a while, finally a deal to good to pass up popped up on reverb.

ibby SRH500F. gonna take the advice of @howard, throw some flats on it and it will be pick only. sooo pretty. gotta come up with a good name for it. hmmm…

I dub thee… Woody

24 Likes

Looks super nice and smooth, @itsratso . . . :slight_smile:

Good luck with it!

Cheers
Joe

7 Likes

I lvoe the look of these, CONGRATS!

7 Likes

Nice! Love the sound of picked hollow bodies :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Nice buy @itsratso