Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Beautiful, congratz.
See, June is starting out with a BOOM.

7 Likes

Lovely!

7 Likes

Whoa! That’s a looker!!

8 Likes

Congratulations @PamPurrs . That’s a real score for sure.

Nice choice @Bassdacious . Enjoy

7 Likes

Good for you, Pam . . . :slight_smile:

You were in the right place at the right time . . :+1:

7 Likes

NIce!

7 Likes

So after some quality time cleaning/setting up last night and then some playing, all I can say is WOW.
I didn’t really understand what these brought to the table via watching YouTube, etc. but in my hands, yikes…so, so good.
Totally unique tone(s), which i knew but did not appreiciate, until now.

I tried a little slap and tapping, and again, geez, wow, I had thought I was doing something wrong in both of these styles on some other basses, and now realize setup/hardware make both way easier. Very excited for the talking bass slap course now.

Still thinking about string choice on this.
It has DR Sunbeams on it (new to me).
Will certainly keep rounds on it, may try the EB Slinkys that come stock (I have a set unopened) for comparision.
What do others like?

Holy cow these basses are fun!

11 Likes

With strings, it clearly comes down to personal preferences (tone, feel, etc). In my opinion, DR Sunbeams are “better” than EB Slinkys. In a similar category as the Sunbeams are GHS Bassics Medium or Curt Mangan Ni rounds, if you want some variety - personally, among all those, I prefer the Curt Mangan strings - not so well known, but great round wounds (round tone, smooth feel)!

Of course, if this is going to be your go-to slap bass and you are going for a really bright slap tone, then you might want to try some steel round wounds on that bass; not my cup of tea, but many slappers swear by them.

6 Likes

Thanks for the info @joergkutter!
I do have a set of Labella RX SS strings awaiting a bass.
Perhaps I will give them a go vs. the EBs.
Not a big fan of EBs in general, so if you say the EBs aren’t going to provide me much difference, I think I will not bother.

Nothing big against the DR Sunbeams (after a day,haha) but woud like to understand tonal optios with a few string choices.

6 Likes

Don’t know the Labellas, but yeah, since you have some stainless steels around, might as well use them. Also, the Sunbeams might have been on that bass for a while already?! (But, again, many people don’t like that initial “zing” of many new strings anyway and prefer them a bit mellowed out; others put on new strings every two weeks or so :joy:)

It’s not a cheap process to get that understanding and find out what works and what doesn’t, @John_E :wink:

6 Likes

swoon

4 Likes

Swoon indeed.

4 Likes

La Bella’s are great. I’m using La Bella RX-N4D. I’m in the process of trying out different strings and this one is defo on of my favourites. The others I selected are D’addario (this was my standard choice), Rotosound and DR.

5 Likes

Agree all around (they are based in my hometown).
I ordered the N4Ds, I have a set of S4Ds already, will try them both and see what I dig.

4 Likes

Hi and welcome to June 2021, and here are my basses.

Pretty standard run of the mill but I’m a lefty so getting these hasn’t been that easy until now.
My American Standard P-Bass is a predictable go to bass which I love to play more than any. Jaco had a jazz bass and switched to a precision bass neck and used that as his practice bass and that kind of reassures me that this is a great bass to practice on at least.

My Overwater( by Tanglefoot) J-PJ Jazz Bass is wonderful and it was cheap. I bought it on a whim to see if it was easier to play as I had worked out the riff to Bob Dylan’s Jokerman, by Robbie Shakespear. It’s a wondrous journey of a riff to play. I can knock out on my P-Bass no problem now. On this one, I’m thinking of converting to fretless at a later stage. The problem is that it’s current neck has back with a gloss finish.

so here’s a couple of other Fender bass guitars I have acquired during lock down in the UK. On the left is my Tidepool Blue Fender Player (MIM) p-bass. The maple neck is a dream and almost like a writing pad, it just flows, you know.

The Sonic Grey Fender American Pro Jazz Bass is my latest addition. It’s not even set-up correctly but I am playing it. I normally pay for a professional set up to support my local store but I’m thinking of trying to set-it up myself for once.

17 Likes

Nice looking basses and welcome aboard, @radarbips . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

7 Likes

Nice little family of basses

7 Likes

Nice gear and welcome to the community @radarbips !

7 Likes

Here is (not) Mine.

It’s a rented 1980 Vantage VS650B.

It’s older than me.

13 Likes

@PamPurrs That acoustic bass looks massive

6 Likes