Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Thanks to T_Dub, I found this sanctuary. I found the community to be pretty awesome. While I’m not in a therapy session I’ve the severe case of GAS, I do like to mod stuffs and give it personality, then according to the interweb I only need 20mins-30mins a day to maintain the skills. Hey it must be true if it’s on the web, lol.

Anyways these are some of my MusicMan

17 Likes

Nice! Has a bit of an Alembic-style body.

Is it worth it renting a bass??

6 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one without a mm of some sort. Nice collection

7 Likes

You and I both

7 Likes

That one hanging on the left, with Red / White and Blue strings.
When it was black, thats the one that inspired me to get a diamond plate pickguard for my Ray4. :+1: :+1:

11 Likes

It’s an actual metal diamond plate custom cut.

11 Likes

Yeah, there were no Metal ones on Reverb at the time, and I found the WD custom for sale from a shop on Ebay for under $20, so I got it.
The WD custom is not great quality. The cheap Chinese Musicilally ones on Ebay and Amazon for under 10 are way higher quality, but they are not custom sheets used to cut the shape on a router, so, I see why WD cost more.

It is wearing pretty quick, and I would replace it with a real diamond plate one sometime, if I can find one and am ready to buy it. The real one listed on Reverb that had already sold when I saw it was only $20 too.
Oh well, opportunity missed.

3 Likes

Probably not if you you’re going to keep it as the price ends up being vastly inflated

4 Likes

Love the Bongo! Great color.

6 Likes

Omg that’s so awesome! So much for minimizing the amount of basses you have, but acoustic basses always have their places. LOL

I’d be so pumped to just randomly receive a free bass out of nowhere. Congrats on the new addition!

5 Likes

Very nice collection!

5 Likes

I love the concept of Karma.

It means all those people I’m mean to, had it coming to them anyway. :wink:

6 Likes

@joergkutter for me personally it actually is. Because I want to see if playing bass actually sticks with me. So I figured renting is a good alternative to having a instrument in my cellar that just collects dust. If its just a fluke I’m left with my ampphones that still can be used as normal headphones. So it’s basically win win.

Other than that it really depends on what you want. I think renting is probably a good option if you want to try out basses for a longer time. Especially if it’s some very high priced bass. Or if you want to get you hands on some vintage instruments. For an affordable price. At least the one I got my bass from rents out a lot of quite old vintage basses. For example a Fender jazz bass from 1966.

4 Likes

Interesting! Thanks for elaborating!

I didn’t even know there was a serious market for renting basses, much less vintage basses… I am not sure I would rent out a Fender jazz bass from 66 if I had one :sweat:

5 Likes

I don’t really know if there actually is a serious marked for renting those type of bases. The concept seems to be pretty unique.

Even though renting instruments in general isn’t that hard. At least on my country.

5 Likes

Interesting. Looks like you can get a bad guitar for about $15/mo here, or a Squier/Epiphone/etc for about $30-40/mo.

That would add up fast - six months would more or less buy a used guitar in roughly the same range.

4 Likes

Yes, that was kind of the reason behind my question to @Fou_Lou . You could buy an inexpensive bass to test whether playing bass is something for you and then re-sell it (either if you find out it is not for you, or because you want to upgrade) or, if you can’t sell it, donate it to a music school or a kid interested in playing (my first bass is likely going that route pretty soon).

4 Likes

@PamPurrs That is so cool. Right place. Right time. And tacos to boot.

Even though I like playing my Jazz Bass more I still keep my acoustic Bass by my chair for whenever I think of something and want to just pick up and play.

4 Likes

What a staggering collection of Music Man Basses.

• What are the mods on the one with the clear plate?
  • What was the mod you did on the Bongo with the J style neck pickup?
5 Likes

That Bongo looks sharp!

7 Likes