Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

That’s one way of looking at it, @HowlinDawg . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

I bought a different pickguard for my ultra jazz but because I’m an idiot, I didn’t read into it enough and I ended up with one that only fits a standard jazz bass (definitely get the exact one for your bass if you’re thinking of doing this!). Anyway, I kept it and put it on my other jazz which does have a standard shape. So here’s the before and afters -

Standard black pickguard that it came with -

Aged pearlescent -

It’s not 100% perfect fit (slight gap between it and the start of the metal pot section, but I think it suits it better. It looks a bit older / slightly more vintage now.

Now I just gotta wait aaaaaages for a custom one to be made for the ultra. But hopefully it’ll be worth the wait!

14 Likes

Could you provide a link for where you bought it, @quadfather ?

I know there are some minor differences between a Squier Jazz and MIA Jazz pickguard.

Where did you order it from? Just curious, thanks . . . :slight_smile:

I definitely like the new one in your ‘after’ shot, too! It brightens up the whole bass.

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

The clear control plate is the sterling Ray35 with the roasted maple neck. The quilted maple top looks great Without the pickguard. I put the Aguilar pickups and acrylic control plate.

I didn’t touch the bongo at all. It’s a limited edition HS piezo.

5 Likes

@Jazzbass19

It was just a store on eBay. It’s an official fender one.

The custom one is from wdmusic.com - they have loads in with all sorts of designs and colours. They take a while as they have to get it all fender approved etc. Takes anywhere from 6-8 weeks but I don’t mind waiting.

The good thing about that site is that you can reference exactly which bass you have and then select whatever pickguard you like from the list that comes up.

I went for a black one with a jungle background on it for the blue ultra. It’s going to make it a bit mental, but we’ll see!

The difference between the performer and the ultra appears to be the neck length on the ultra being slightly longer, so you have to specify exactly which bass you have.

Yes, it just brightens it up a bit and the aged effect gives it a nice vintage feel

5 Likes

Thanks, @quadfather . . . saved that link for future reference! :wink:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

@quadfather
Where have you found that’s doing custom pick guards. The “big guys” all say in their sites that they are not doing them right now and I’m in need of one.

4 Likes

@Jazzbass19

No worries! I have a feeling I might start getting gas for accessories next…

4 Likes

@John_E

I suppose when I say custom, I’m probably using the wrong word but have a look at wdmusic.com in the accessories section for your specific bass and you’ll see loads. I read a few testimonials from people that have ordered and all seem happy with the service and quality. See what you think.

3 Likes

Ah. Yes. They won’t do custom right now. Which is what I need to clean up this…

7 Likes

Here’s their website. if you do use this excuse, you’ll need it.

3 Likes

I don’t know what it is yet but I want one. What kind of pickup is it? That’s so cool and intimidating, lol.

3 Likes

That link doesn’t work here @PamPurrs .
Possibly an Australian thing?

3 Likes

@Al1885 …hahaha…i was wondering if you had a bass with these in yet, did not see one on your wall…

The pickups are Sims Super Quad 4s.
The are configurable via the toggle between P, J and MM style.
With the 2 pickups, you get 15 combos of dual and single pickup setups.
I paired them with a 3-band Glockenklang active/passive preamp set for even more fun.
They will eventually go into a fully custom bass I am designing, but for now they sit in this cheapy Ray4 so I can play with them.

Below is the thread I started for the mod…

3 Likes

Oh yes. I need some Tums, I got gas, lol. I just checked them out. Looks like there’s a dealer in NoHo. I’ll do my homework and shoot you some questions. Thanks.

4 Likes

Yup. That’s where I got them, bassexchange.com

4 Likes

amazing :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

That’s because I Mucked up the URL. I fixed it so try it now.
Revu2U – We review, then give to you for FREE!

4 Likes

Cool. Thank you @PamPurrs

4 Likes

I’m thinking of getting an Ibanez SR500E. Sounds great and the price is right. Any reason why I shouldn’t?

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/sr500e_1p_02.html

8 Likes