Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

thank you ! I might give a try when I’ll have a bass for this purpose … I’m currently wondering about a JB that I could convert to fretless … thinking about this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to get a classic 50’s style single coil p bass for a while so I decided to give this Harley Benton bass a try. I have no idea how they sell these so cheap but it sounds amazing.

10 Likes

Here’s what I found:

Good luck with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I know the Squier Classic Vibes 50s P Bass is made in Indonesia too. It has a more modern neck profile though and I was looking for the classic “baseball bat” neck found on the originals.

1 Like

how is the neck on this Harley Benton, can you tell us more ?

1 Like

It’s a little thicker than a standard p bass neck, but not by a lot. I find it very comfortable but that may be because my other bass is a 5 string so I’m used to having more neck to deal with. It has a satin finish that I very much prefer to gloss. Gloss necks always feel sticky to me. The neck is maple and the bass came set up really well. I haven’t had to make any adjustments.

2 Likes

that’s great ! those Harley Benton look impressive for their price.

1 Like

I have been super impressed so far. And at less than half the price of the Squier even after you include shipping I’m really glad I decided to give it try. The only problem is that now I’m thinking their fretless jazz bass looks really tempting. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

So far I have owned two basses made in indonesia and both have been perfectly built, very high quality control. Then again, Yamaha, so that’s not surprising.

2 Likes

Love that color. She is a beaut!

3 Likes

Wait a minute! We’re supposed to use actual basses? I’ve been playing a Danelectro 12 string with an octave pedal.

5 Likes

@acr08807 Honestly, I thought about doing the same thing with a 6 string guitar. :rofl:

Just cut off the bad two strings and keep the good ones

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

I am starting out with a pretty basic bass, its a Fender Squier P-bass. Is it me or is this thing heavy??!!!
My amp is another base rig Dean Markley (never heard of it), but for now these will do until I can actually play something.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum @frankirv. How much does your bass weigh? Basses are notoriously heavy as compared to guitars.

2 Likes

Its 11 lbs. Maybe I should get a wider strap, although the one i am using isn’t as wide as some I have seen its fairly thick.

3 Likes

@frankirv Welcome to the BassBuzz forums!

Dean Markley is best known for their strings but they have dabbled in lots of different stuff over the years, including amplifiers. These days they seem to have scaled back to just doing strings.

I haven’t handled one but the Squier basses are known for being quite heavy. I know from experience with my own basses (Peavey Millennium and Epiphone T-bird) that a wide strap makes a difference - and a padded strap is the way to really lighten the load.

My current strap is a cheap one off ebay (Straptonix) that is clearly a knock-off of a more highly rated neoprene strap (I paid £15 instead of £40) but so far it is doing the job very well.

I think it’s like most things when you are just learning; you don’t want to spend lots of money when you don’t know what works best for you, but I reckon any wide and/or padded strap will change the way the bass feels, and you’ve got to be comfortable with it very early on or you can be hampered in your progress - maybe even give up.

Welcome to the course and the forum. You might want to post in the Introduce Yourself thread, and read a bit about some of the other trainee bass Jedi.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @frankirv . . . :+1:

No, it’s not you . . .
I have a Squier VM 70s Jazz Bass and it weighs in at just over 10 pounds :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes