Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Thanks everyone!
I just noticed that in the pics I uploaded the G string looks off, and indeed it was off the saddle groove. I though for a minute the pickup was off-centered. :woozy_face:

Even though it was listed as new, I think this may have been a return, and that is why it was 15% off. I found lots of pencil lead in the nut grooves, D’addario strings instead of Ernie Ball, and stripped strap locks (one had a huge peace of wood skewer in the screw hole).

But besides that the finish is immaculate. No scratches or swirl marks, so I think someone bought it, set up to their liking, and either had buyers remorse or just didn’t like it and returned it.

I’m all done setting it up. Looking good now. Besides those few things I’m happy with it.

5 Likes

Sounds like a return to me as well. The skewers mean someone put strap locks on that had bigger screws (Dunlop).

Either way if you love it nothing else matters.

4 Likes

Ha ha yes if you stare into the burl long enough you start seeing things.

You mean this angry looking alien?

Or these 2 smiling faces?

8 Likes

Now I see two! Only saw the lower one before

3 Likes

It like a Where’s Waldo? Lol
Ive also seen a pair of scissors, a dove, the number 7, the number 2, a robot, an angel, more faces, and a skull. In the end it’s just burl and the human imagination! :grinning:

Trying to get used to the pickup position. Feels a little awkward compared to the p bass. Another thing I noticed is the fingerboard is sealed. Being rosewood I was expecting bare wood, but it’s finished with the same treatment as the back of the neck. I want to say it’s that gunstock oil/wax mixture, but not 100% sure. The back is a semi see-through satin black stain and you can see the mahogany grain.

3 Likes

I see a wolverine type cat thing bottom left, monkey screaming/laughing bottom right and what I can only describe as Kim Jung-Un’s face top left near the horn

3 Likes

I see the screaming monkey and it has a chipmunk in its mouth! Ha ha!

2 Likes

5 Likes

Finally getting around to posting a pic of my bass. This is my first (and only) bass, a Squier PJ - I love the black on black look. Sounds great, at least for my purposes of learning lol. One day I’m hoping to get the “holy trinity” of basses, but that’s a far ways away.

19 Likes

Nice, my first was a Squier J. They are truly super basses.

4 Likes

Very nice @russellpahl !

3 Likes

I have exactly the same PJ bass. (Black on black) Although I’ve already widened my bass herd, I am still getting back to play this bass from time to time. It’s really fun, and it’s quite a beefy build so the sound is awesome, and the chunky neck is really fun to “battle” with.

5 Likes

Nice bass @russellpahl!

4 Likes

I have that bass in white and I said to myself after 15 mins of playing, how can they sell this at such an affordable price.

If you put small effort to polish up some minor refinement and may be new pickup it would rival any mim. I’d put my beat up squier p bass against any mim any day.

3 Likes

All of my basses. Maybe I have a small problem.

19 Likes

Welcome to the madhouse @1978popo
I reckon you’ll fit right in

6 Likes

Thank you sir! Glad to be here

6 Likes

This might be a record! . . . :grin:

Welcome aboard, @1978popo . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

7 Likes

At the first picture I was like “nah, 5 is perfectly fine” then I saw the next two photos haha. Awesome collection!

10 Likes

Welcome @1978popo !

4 Likes