Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

That SRX is rare and cool. Everyone’s got a P-bass. I know which one I would keep :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s an LTD. I think it’s a gorgeous bass. Lots to explore with it. On the circuit board there’s some switches so I can adjust frequencies, and the volume is a push/pull that does a preset on the EQ for slapping, and the preset can be tweaked further by the EQ.

Quality wise, this is my top bass. And a 38mm nut.

I like to mod basses but there’s nothing here that needs attention. Just play the bass? Heresy!

3 Likes

You can’t go wrong with the P bass. You can flip it and make some money, or you can turn it into a Geezer monster. P basses are easy to find, so you literally can’t lose whatever you decide.

The SRX has a lot of potential. With the positioning of the pickup, you could put an EMG pickup in and get a funky p bass sound. You could get a 3way switch and do a series split parallel thing. Sky’s the limit.

The placement of the pickup just opens the door. A Nordie Big Split would rock it.

If I were to keep only one, it would be the SRX.

3 Likes

I’d put a Geezer p in that Squier and keep it.

I’d keep the Ibanez cause it’s incredibly cool and play with pickups in it IF you don’t dig it as is.

3 Likes

@ddimitrov, Using the “J” on the headstock, I checked for that as a guitar/bass logo. There weren’t any with only the letter “J” in that particular typeface, at least at the couple of places I checked. The closest match for typeface is the “J” for “Jolana” (their non-script logo version), which was a Czechoslovakian brand. But it is not the same as the "J’ on your old bass.

3 Likes

Holy shit what is with this gunk :joy:

Nice cleaning T! I’m still a bit confused… I thought you didn’t buy this bass because he listed it for 170. Anyway it looks awesome man!

4 Likes

That’s beautiful!

2 Likes

Daisy Rock Rock Candy bass. It’s so me, and so perfect. I’m in my 40s and still enjoy pink sparkly things. I have no shame.

24 Likes

Well, you’re in good company.

You be you

10 Likes

That color is fantastic.

3 Likes

I actually nearly bought one of these instead of the Warwick

10 Likes

Sing it loud and proud!

Ohmura custom Twinkle Pink finish = GOALS :heart:

But ESP offers it for guitar only, yes?

4 Likes

Depends on how much you want to spend :slight_smile:

Aside from the custom shop there’s also lots of other slightly different signature pinks, like Tetsuya (L’arc-en-ciel), Glambelly, Wanimo, and the BanG-Dream ones, and I think those all have LTD level versions.

4 Likes

No Way, I bought the bass because he listed it at $150, but said he would drive it to me for an extra $20 bucks.
I was considering buying the “Squire Affinity” for $150, because it is not all that far off price retail, for an affinity ($179) unless you have to drive $30 in gas to get it, PLUS, they don’t make the Orangish Affinities anymore, if they ever did, and they certainly don’t make the MIM and players lines in the orange anymore, and that orangISH color is what caught my eye. the price tag was reasonable enough for me to inquire if it was available.

After finding it was available I forwarded to the ADD to Al, @Al1885, he saw immediately that it was NOT an AFFINITY, but a Classic ViBE.
To the-best of my knowledge, the classic vibe of that color sold for $399.99 before it was discontinued (the color)

Al told me "GET ON THAT THING, IF IT IS ANY GOOD AS IS LOOKS IN THE ADD, SNATCH IT UP, CUZ THE SQUIRE CLASSIC VIBE P BASES NOW GO FOR $479

So, @Paul thats why I bought it for $130, plus $20 for the gas.
Since the strings were so dirty and grimy, and had transferred all that gunk to the fretboard, I told him, first, I need to change the strings, and thats $20.
I told him that it was gonna take a while to clean it up, and do a set up, but I would do a set up on it even if it was clean, so I am not too worried about that, so I just offered him $130 for the bass, but still payed him the $20 for gas, like we discussed at first. He said, yeah, sure, I don’t play it ever, and yeah, the strings do look really bad, so sure, I will take $130 plus gas money.

And YES, I am stoked as can be with this bass.
I just don’t know what I am going to do with it.
If I keep it, I am going to black it out with all black hardware, but I may also test the waters and see if I can flip it for $350 or so, and make an extra $200 towards purchasing another bass, to flip, or keep and upgrade.

Plans if I keep it
Black Tuners and String tree
Black Bridge, probably black nut
Black knobs on it, maybe some black tape wound strings, for shits and giglgles,
And Pick ps.
If I keep it for sure, I will drop in eMG Geezer Buttler pick pups

If I sell it, I ma drop in some Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders.

IDK tho, I am leaning towards keeping it,
BUT
I have this Ibanez beauty I just picked up as well, and I not too sure I need to keep both.
Guess I am gonna have to set them up stock, with new stings, and give them a play, and see which one I fall in love with first.

Al told me "GET ON THAT THING, IF IT IS ANY GOOD AS IS LOTS INT EH OEDHEKE

dklj

4 Likes

Ahh congrats. I really like the look of this bass.

4 Likes

Yesss, it must be Jolana, with its old logo.

4 Likes

Oh love that cokor. Im sucker for nice natural finishes with black pickguards and hardware.
Would add to the look if fretboard was lackered.

1 Like

@ddimitrov Possibly, but the angle of the underside of the top part of the J on the bass is not the same, at least. If you look at the logo on the bass, the top is horizontal, with its underside coming straight out at an angle to the vertical on the left. But the underside of the top of the Jolana “J” starts out parallel to the top, then angles down to the vertical.

I’m not sure about the bottom curve, either. Little differences like that mean a different typeface, so it could be for another company. I’m also unsure about the square or rectangle behind the J on the bass; it might be an attempt to represent the staff as in the Jolana logo, but it’s hard to see any lines in the photo, and the overall angle of the logo does not appear to be the same as the Jolana logo, at least from what I can see (it’s not italic as in the Jolana logo). Then again, Jolana may have used a slightly different typeface at some point, so who knows?

The angled pickups and pick guard seem unusual, too. I looked at the current (or at least most recent?) models on the Jolana website, and none look like yours (all are guitars, too). A web search found some Jolana models at Reverb, such as this Jolana Iris Bass from the 1970s (note the different “J” logo there!). This page gives a history of Jolana guitars, with many photos.

But none of the instruments I saw on those pages had anything like the style of pick guard or any angled pickups as yours has. In my opinion, the search goes on for what make and model bass you have.

1 Like

It might be worth removing the pickguard and pickups to see if there’s any makers marks inside the cavity.

3 Likes

John pointed out to me, and I think he is correct, that this P bass is actually a Vintage Modified Squire. Squire had the Vintage Modified line out for a few years, and then changed it over to the Classic Vibe.
There were some slight new looks and colors, and if I am not mistaken, the Vintage Modified line was reissues of different years of the same model instruments, and classic vibe took the same models, but reissued different years, and changing the colors up for the reissues, then what was available for the Vintage Modified.

Actually, that makes this probably even a better find, as the Vintage Modified was a beloved line among Fender / Squire enthusiasts, and I think that many prefer it to the Classic Vibe (myself included).
So, although, I may have mistakenly called it Classic Vibe, I also may be pleasantly surprised to find it is a Vintage Modified. One of the give aways that John picked up was the pick up, the classic vibe does not use Duncan Design pick ups

But I am still stoked.
Still don’t know what the plan for it is, Do I trick it out and sell it, do I just sell it, or do I trick it out and. keep it.

I would plan to black it out, and I already have shopped for some black tuners, string tree, bridge, knobs, and strap buttons. I may throw it all together and see how much I dig it, and if I do, then I may consider selling the Ibanez for a profit, to make up for keeping this one.
Not sure, I really never planned to buy two basses ast week, but the price, and condition of each, and possibilities to make money off both, or make money off one, so that the other one is free was there, so I took it without too much thought. I mean, if I had to, I could sell them both today for the price I paid and get the money back pretty fast… but Nah, this is too much fun doing it this way

And there is this one too.
I love the look of it as well, but it is hard to beat the P
But, I did start the teardown of this baby today, so I can clean it up and get it ready for strings and a set up.

There is not really anything on this bass I could think to upgrade. The bridge is actually a really nice bridge. The pick up is awesome and unique. The tuners seem fine, I mean, if anything I could upgrade them, but it won’t make the bass look any different, in any major way, so this bass, is probably good to go as is.
Just strings and a set up.
Then I will play it for a while, and see if it is something I can’t live without, or something that I will outgrow like I did the other Ibanez SRs I had (somehow I doubt that, this is a special bass, and by far the nicest Ibanez I have played to date, unthought I have not had a chance to try out the Ibanez ATK line, the one they called the Stingray Killer, but there is one for $500 locally, do I dare??? I understand they are becoming more and more rare, and the prices are going up and up

I found that strap for like $3, and the color was perfect

Fretboard needs a little cleaning and some rehydration to bring it back to life. Frets could use a little cleaning

The bridge is a really nice bridge, just needs a little care, and some polishing, and should look great in no time, as do the poles in the pick up, a little cleaning of and they will look and work great.

the Tuners can use a polish just like the bridge, but are in good condition otherwise. The headstock is a bit dusty still from the dust under the strings, but that wipes right off.

I REALLY LOVE ATTENTION TO DETAIL here where they put the truss rod cover matching the pick guard, some might not appreciate that, but I sure do.

Not a scratch on the body, the neck is not the 5pc like the other SR models, but it still feels great. Not nearly as thin a profile, but still a 1.5" nut width. It is a very very comfortable neck, very much like the Ray4 if I had to compare it to something.

Active Tone Control?? I never saw that before. Could it actually be an active pick up? I guess active tone control makes more sense, but seems a bit overkill. Now if it was an active pick up, that could be interesting.

So after I clean it up, I need to put strings on it.

I am having trouble deciding which strings to use, I just got 3 new sets of strings, and all ones I have not used before, and two of them will go on the new basses, so I may need some help deciding.

I have

GHS FLEA signature

Stay In Tune

and
Extra Slinky’s

I know that I want to put one of the light gauge sets on the Ibanez, either the Extra Slinky’s, or the SIT Power Wound.

And I think I will be putting the GHS on the Squire P bass.

Suggestions welcome, at least until I end up putting the strings on, but that might not be until tomorrow or so.

9 Likes