Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Oh my, lovely

1 Like

Got an SBMM SUB series StingRay as my first bass four days ago. Currently I’m just making weird sounds with it but I’m very happy. (Also a 100W Rumble V3 that’s… loud enough. I mostly use it with phones lol)

22 Likes

Nice color and a great first amp buy!

4 Likes

My neighbor gave me a bass, a Rogue, in need of some TLC. It was free and I’ve fiddled with it a bit. After playing it a bit I noticed a couple things, it cuts out every so often, and the 3 way switch only works in 2 positions. So far I’ve removed the strings and given it a good cleaning and oiled the fretboard. The bridge needs a good polish and I’ll put a new set of strings on it after I do that. I’ve looked at the wiring and will post some photos. I’m not above replacing the pickups and pots but finding a set that isn’t $300 is proving a challenge. If anyone has thoughts on the wiring I’m all ears. Soldering isn’t an issue, I have the tools and experience to do it. The frets are worn, the below photo is after cleaning and a touch of lemon oil.

9 Likes

As you delve deeper into playing bass and start acquiring more and more of them, you could use this one as your test mule to try out different pickups and configurations. If you were so inclined.

1 Like

EMG Geezer Butler PJ set is $179 USD, and you can get 10% off if you go to the EMG site and browse but don’t purchase. They will email a discount code the next day or so.

3 Likes

I need a 5 string set.

1 Like

I immediately see a crappy solder on the ground to the jack.
But sounds more like your 3-way switch is toast, an easy replacement.
Could try contact cleaner first if you can get any into that switch.

The bridge looks crazy wonky but if you can get it to work, leave it alone.

Pickups - I have a couple basses where the pickups are worth ‘more than the bass’, and makes the bass a complete gem.
This is actually a very nice looking bass and as long as the neck is ok, I would use it as an upgrade platform in a heartbeat. But make sure the neck is fine before you invest.

2 Likes

My mistake. Look at Nordstrand

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation on the pickups. I’m going to pick up a set of strings tomorrow and a new 3 way switch. Once I replace the switch and fix the previously mentioned crappy solder job I’ll string it and see how everything sounds. I’m not in a rush to throw new pickups in it yet. I’m thinking at least new pots while I’m in there replacing the switch. Inexpensive and quick to replace. I’ll do that and play it for a bit. The frets need to be worked and the nut replaced so I’ll do that too. I have my Schecter for now to continue lessons and practice.

2 Likes

Come home for lunch and see what I found on my stoop.

I was not expecting a gig bag. My new stream arrived.

What a beauty. Rosewood on the fingerboard is gorgeous, she is a matte black. Tuned her up to make sure everything works and it does. Did change the battery.

Easy to play. Intonation is almost spot on, strings are rough, easily fixed. Had a 2" strap on her and no neck dive, though I didn’t try and induce it.

Don’t like the EQ but rather than change it, may just get a Sansamp or something similar and use it on everything.

Was planning on making her a bead monster but she is very comfortable, might be an everyday bass. May make the Noir Jag a bead monster instead. What do you think?

19 Likes

Looks great! I like the big block inlays.

5 Likes

Absolutely love it. I’m jelly.

5 Likes

Sorry mate (not really)

She’s cleaned, oiled (fretboard), has new strap locks and battery, and time to string her and really get to know her by playing.

5 Likes

She is really comfortable to play. The big curve in the body suits my arm perfectly. I really like the feel.

Only negative so far is she is a little fret buzzy, but we’ll see what tomorrow brings. Her strings were loose, now they’re tight, and the neck may bend back into shape. No sense in adjusting while the neck is moving.

Still don’t seem to have a lot of nick dive. I was worried about that because the front button is well short of the 12th fret, but doesn’t seem to be an issue.

5 Likes

Love it!

4 Likes

Yeah I was worried too. My SBV definitely has some. It’s not terrible but it’s there.

3 Likes

Strap might be a contributing factor

But even when I push on the neck it doesn’t really slide

8 Likes

Yeah I am good for straps too - one 3.5" Strapp Pro Bass and one 4" GruvGear. While it does make a difference, dive is dive and you would notice if it were there.

2 Likes

Yeah, mine’s a Gruv Gear

4 Likes