Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Here is my New Spector Coda DLX. Neat story on it. My boss owns Bizarre Guitar and is friends with the guys at Spector.
This One was made in 2017 and put in the vault at Spector for a customer. It was never picked up, they came across it last week and offered to Bizarre. I got it.
It has a letter signed by Stuart Spector as the being the last Guitar he signed.

27 Likes

Very cool bass and story :+1:

4 Likes

That wood almost looks liquid, like it could move, 3D.
Very cool!!!

6 Likes

ooh that’s gorgeous, and put that letter in a safe or something :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Very cool, looks very expensive, I hope you get a good employee discount :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Congrats! You got a nice treasure there. :metal:

5 Likes

Congrats @Whylee
Very cool bass with a nice background story!

6 Likes

Congratulations @Whylee ! That’s beautiful.

4 Likes

One of the many reasons people might have MBD, is the possibly of running across a deal like like one @Whylee . . . :wink:

What beautiful wood!

And it has an interesting background story to go with it as well as some investment potential.

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

That top is :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

So… I really wasn’t looking to buy another bass. I wasn’t. F’reals.

But.

So, there have always been two brands that I’ve been, eh, attracted to. One of them is Carvin and the other is G&L. I never planned on getting a G&L, though, because they’re generally too close to the “standard” P/J bass form factor, and I’m not a fan of that form factor. But looking through Reverb I came across some basses in their Tribute line which I thought were really nice looking. So, I “watched” them.

Saturday night, the vendor of one of the ones I was watching reached out through Reverb with a special offer… $50 off, and free shipping.

HOW COULD I RESIST?

So, here’s my new baby, a G&L Tribute JB-2. Made in Indonesia (which doesn’t bother me, all my Ibanezezes were made there and they’re great basses), It’s a gorgeous instrument, and sounds better to my ear than any of my other basses (Ibanez SR300, Ibanez SR500EPB, Carvin B4). It’s a bit heavier than the Ibanez and the Carvin, but it feels and plays REALLY nice. I think it’s got a grounding issue, which I’ll discuss in another thread. For now, on to the pics!

:slight_smile:

18 Likes

I’ve always admired G&L, always wanted one. Fate had other things in mind for me it seems.

5 Likes

Like that super-nice Stream up there a few posts. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well, that tends to lead to a large box showing up….

I love the headstock.
Never played a G&L but I hear they are great.

4 Likes

LOL, which it did.

I’m a fan. It really plays like a dream. I thought for sure that I preferred the thinner Ibanez style necks and bodies, but this thing is pretty damned awesome feeling.

5 Likes

Welp… found the P Bass for me :sweat_smile: … Now just gotta wait for Christmas lol!

19 Likes

The bass fam :heart_eyes:

SX short scale 5 string, American ash body

Sire Marcus Miller P-7, alder body, custom pickguard

Schecter Diamond Elite Series long scale 5 with beautiful quilted maple top in lava orange burst.
My wonderful wife bought me this as my first bass the day after we were married! #BestEVAR

And Fender Mustang Special in Capri Orange

Daughter just asked for her first bass too! Yay! I think we’ll get P-Basses together! :sweat_smile:

18 Likes

The Schecter is a looker

5 Likes

Thanks! Pictures really do not do the body Justice!

2 Likes

You and I think very much alike. I LOVE the G&L Bridges. I want a Carvin and at least one G&L. I was watching this video earlier, it is the CEO and President of G&L talking about Leo from Fender thru to G&L / CFL, and there is on the wall a G&L Stingray but a reverse P pick up, with those huge Music Man poles like on the EBMM Cutlass in the bridge location, only one pick up. I couldn’t tell if it was passive or not.
I am in love, and doubt very highly I will ever come across one for sale, and would almost certainly have to have G&L custom order it if I were to get one, and chances of that happening are zilch (but we all know how that goes, life is short, but there might be enough time to get one some day)

Still, it was pretty awesome to see. You have to look closely to see it, it is on the wall, they don’t talk about it specifically IIRC. Maybe I will try and time stamp the video, and come back and change it if I find it easily.
but for now, here is an interesting article.

also, I was watching a tour of the Fender Factory easier today, and was blown away by the necks. I know there is a lot of confusion, and some clarification about necks and shapes and profiles and sizes, widths, thicknesses, etc… and he said in the video there are more then 68 shapes of necks (bass and guitar) and they can come in different width and thickness, so necks are unlimited, if you find a bass you really love, and wonder why, chances are the neck, so it is good to find out what it is that you like, so if you ever are shopping, or thinking of a custom, you know what necks you really like. Chances are you may have to measure some of the measurements yourself, unless you can get the manufacturer to let you know exactly what it is. some are a little more liberal with this information then others, but if you e-mail customer service, I have found them to usually give you the best info they know, especially if you have a serial number, or ask about a particular model.

EDIT. it is the first bass shown in the video, not too long to wait.

2 Likes