Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Wow. Nice collection.

4 Likes

I’m a traditionalist at heart. My main acoustic guitar is a 1947 Gibson, after all.* I have my jazz and my p-bass, and I am a happy boy. That Lakland is the first bass I’ve seen in a while that that made me think, “damn! I might need one of those!” You done good.

• For those interested in my obsessions, in my pocket at all times is a 1940s tortoise shell pick and a 1935 arcade token. I also wear a fedora made in 1938. That’s just how my brain works.
3 Likes

Met my new bass

ESP LTD Stream 1005, MIK. Ash Body, Flame Maple top, Maple neck, Rosewood Fretboard, EMG X pickups, 2 band EQ, EQ bypass switch, Hipshot bridge & tuners

She is gorgeous. Now to give her a bath, add strap locks and new strings. And chnge her battery

21 Likes

Crazy awesome looking instrument. I’m curious to how it’s gonna feel playing while seated.

5 Likes

I’ll let you know, though my Stream 204 is very comfortable, and is the first bass I had that I was comfortable playing without a strap. I play more like a classical guitarist with the bass on my left leg

6 Likes

Yummy!

4 Likes

That looks awesome!

5 Likes

Man I am wanting one more and more. They just look so awesomely retro-cool.

Aww man. Ikebe has one of the discontinued red ones in a 35" 5-string.

You don’t want to know how much. They do ship overseas and are used to English speaking customers though :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I’ve finally gotten back to the lessons after a huge break. Part of that came from the fact that I got some extra money to buy more basses! I’m up to 8 now, although 2 of those come next week (Ibanez GSRM20 in root beer metallic and a Yamaha TRBX174RM in red metallic)

Squier Affinity Jaguar

Steinberger Spirit XT1

Yamaha BB G4

Turquoise Waters P-bass I built

Poison Apple J-bass I built

Generic PJ bass, the first bass I bought

12 Likes

Not cheap. I wonder if I could custom build one for that price. Good looking bass.

On mine, I put the strings on it and wow is it bright. I put on ome Ernie Balls as it’s what they had at the shop. I ordered some strings over a week ago but the post office is slow these days, they’re not here yet.

Also those hipshot tuners are so sensitive. My word, what a difference.

The neck feels just like an Ibanez, at least as I remember Ibanez felt like. The fret ends are perfectly rounded. Just goes to show that a good used instrument is good value.

Take a little to get used to the string spacing, but easier than the 6. Going to restart b2b to get get to know her better.

Upon research the pickups are the EMG 40PX and 40JX, so it’s a PJ, which I like. Checks so many boxes.

You can see where there is more contouring and detailing in the body of the 1005 compared to the 204, and clearly its to cut costs, but the 204 is still solid.

I don’t know which I like better.

6 Likes

Congratulations @Wombat-metal

4 Likes

Ooooh, I like this one.

7 Likes

That’s the one I got at the Guitar Junkyard here in my hometown. I’d been eyeing it for a few months since I had taken my other basses to get them tuned and set up and finally had the money to buy it…reasonable at $260 plus it comes with a gig bag.

2 Likes

My first bass, a Squier Jazz Bass. The color grabbed my attention and it felt really nice when I tried it in the store.

I upgraded it with some Gotoh tuners. Very happy with it. :heart_eyes:

19 Likes

My first bass was a natural 70’s jazz squire. They are great. This one looks so sharp!

4 Likes

Thanks. The only thing I don´t really like is the painted neck. Maybe I will sand it down…
Besides that no complaints, really nice to play.

2 Likes

The sticker fits really well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My wife joined a ukulele group so I wanted to play along with her. I was curious if they made any ukulele basses so I could join in. After a little research, I was in luck. The latest addition (to my bass guitar family) is the Kala UBass. Tuning is EADG, so I can play it just as any bass guitar. It came with rubber strings which sounded OK but were terrible to play. I noticed a truss rod in the neck, so I called Kala and asked about changing out the strings to steel flatwounds. They said yes and shipped me their recommended steel flats. I changed out the strings (and nut) and with a little adjustment this little UBass turned out to have a deep and awesome sound. When plugged into an amp, she can be a little powerhouse.
Please welcome the Kala UBass to my family. She is bass #6.

16 Likes

After a weeks nail biting delay of going MIA between France and Ireland the Thumb has finally arrived.

2020 Teambuilt Ltd.
Ovangkol Neck with Wild Mahogany fretboard.
1" Mahogany Burl Top with Mahogany Back
Active MEC J/J with 2 way active MEC EQ

Feels great in the hand and sounds gnarly!

28 Likes

This is absolutely crazy in a good way! I like it. What a beauty!

3 Likes