Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Gorgeous. Congratulations!

5 Likes

This is something special!
Really love Warwick basses.

Have a wonderful time with this beauty!

6 Likes

Thank you!…I’m half tempted to play it more than my old Washburn…it’s so hard to choose! =/

3 Likes

I think the one thing that twisted me up at first on a 5er is this…
I seem to use the E string on a 4 as a reference for everything else.
1 string up, 2 strings up, 3 stings up. In my mind it is the ‘home’ string.
I instead now think of the G string as ‘home’ and go 1 string down, 2 strings down, etc.
It doesn’t take long using this thinking to start playing the proper strings.
I wish instructors and courses approached it this way, I think it would make it a lot easier to go to a 5 the first time.

3 Likes

A very nice collection. I especially like the look of the Jaguar.

2 Likes

Hey there tim, I am really happy for you. This is a really cool loking bass, I am sure you will enjoy it. Now you can focus on practice and don´t have to worry about technical difficulties with your instrument! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks, @Snoopy . I admit I am in love with the Jaguar body shape. I had a different, cheaper Squier Jaguar (the one Josh reviews in his series of bass review videos) that I could not get to sound the way I wanted (for reasons similar to those highlighted in Josh’s video), and didn’t enjoy playing. So I upgraded to a better Jaguar (Squier Classic Vibe) that looked almost exactly the same, but plays and sounds so much better.

I thought I was all set with the new Jag and the Hofner. But I paid a visit to the music store, intending just to play some different basses to learn more about what the options are – but as soon as I picked up the used Peavey they had, I knew it would be leaving the store with me. It just feels right.

10 Likes

Awesome. That’s how it is supposed to be.

3 Likes

This is really helpful and trying to work through it. Makes sense when playing a 5er, but what about when I pick up a 6 and add a C string?

Should I change my approach?

But really provocative…in a good way

2 Likes

I’m not coordinated wrought for 6. Hahaha

3 Likes

My trick was I rested my thumb on the B or E string at all times, unless playing them. This solved the orientation problem and also was free muting for the B and E strings (another common 5-er complaint.) I never had an orientation issue moving from 4 to 5.

2 Likes

I found that just noodling around on the 6 went a long way to stepping up my muting game. I quickly became accustomed to holding my left hand’s fingers flat and resting on strings, and resting my thumb on the string above the one I am playing and against the strings above it. Translates to the fiver quite well

5 Likes

I completely forgot how to make posts here without making a new topic- I think it’s just a chain of replies? Anyways, I wanted to show my recently acquired Ibanez

3 Likes

20 Likes

That’s a really great looking bass, @Jbassist284 . . . :slight_smile:

Thanks for your update!

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Nice SR!

5 Likes

Ibanez has some nice finishes. Good looking bass ther, how does she sound?

4 Likes

Very nice @Jbassist284 ! Wish you many fun hours of playing.

4 Likes

Well, with the preamp EQ knobs completely cut and the amp I have (Donner 15w) calling the shots, it’s an identical sound to my Squier Jazz bass, though ever-so-slightly warmer. The DR Neon green quacks gave the sound more strength overall but not too different from the D’Addario ones it came with. Using the preamp EQ alone and the warmth comes in full swing but with enough jazzy texture left depending on how the knobs are set. With all three knobs at max boost you get a crazy “strong” sound that i could feel in my feet. Sometimes some distortion kicks in because of the hot signal, but that’s only with the humbucker modes (series and the laughably named power tap). My guess would be that the distortion is “normal” in Ibanez’s opinion because it’s their weird way of prepping the bass for…grunge music? I can’t exactly picture the sounds being fit for rock or metal unless we’re talking notably crunchy/heavy metal. As odd as it is, I don’t hate the distortion- just didn’t ask for it lol. Besides, 50/50/50 is enough preamp for me to not need to crank up the amp’s knobs, and it actually sounds awesome when you blend the EQ on both of them. With that said, so far my favorite arrangment is 50/50/50 (which is super easy to set up because of a nice click you can feel when turning the knobs on the bass), power tap (insert Norbit movie reference) mode, and the bass/mid/treble roughly at 25% for the amp. Compared to the Squier the SR is a tad more texturally pleasing, but for whatever reason you can hear the Squier better acoustically (unplugged) haha

4 Likes

Thanks! It’s much lighter than my Squier and the neck feels slicker :slight_smile:

3 Likes