Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I was going to say something didn’t look quite right :thinking: I’m now worried about your furniture - at work, not at home. :crazy_face:

Is this your only bass?

1 Like

Hehe don’t worry about the work furniture; I have a tad more experience screwing that up :yum:

And yes this is the only one I have. It’s also the first musical instrument I’ve ever bought too lol.

4 Likes

“Together”, screwing that together :rofl:

The reason I asked about this being your only bass is that when you’re learning you don’t know what you don’t know - obvs - so one thing that can cause problems is not having an instrument that’s set up right, and that can lead you to think you’re doing something wrong if it’s not getting easier.

Example; I played a bass for ages without realising that the action was way too high which lead me to needing far more pressure on the strings, slowed me down, and meant I gave up several times. Once I discovered that not all basses are created the same I got a set up and learning/playing became a joy.

3 Likes

That is an excellent point, @PeteP :+1: . . . when @Ketricel starts playing, if something is “wrong”, he might think HE did something incorrectly while assembling it, rather than it having a poor setup.

@terb is also correct, of course! :wink:

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Got the Dean summer of 2018 and the Sterling Musicman for Xmas 2019. Don’t play well enough to justify having 2 basses so I have a third one picked out for summer this year.

12 Likes

What’s going to be lucky #3? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like the bright red color.

7 Likes

Me too!

Good choice, I’d want a P/J and not just a P too.

3 Likes

Yeah, erm, so I don’t play well enough for 2 basses so I have 2 electric, 1 acoustic, and plans for a 3rd electric. I don’t play guitar at all.

1 Like

Took your advice, went down to the local Guitar Center and after talking with one of the guys there settled on this beauty (just a stock photo from the web of it):

Went home, tuned it, plugged it up and I could instantly tell the sound/play difference. Now to start going through more of the lessons on here!

10 Likes

Congrats on the new bass, @Ketricel . . . :slight_smile:

Good luck going through the course with it, too!

All best, Joe

1 Like

Nice one @Ketricel… Looks like a TMB100 in Soda Blue… You’ll also get some great sound and punch from the PJ setup! A great choice to tackle the course with!! Congrats on the addition!

1 Like

@joergkutter

Ach! I liebe Deutsch! Fliegen nach Deutschland deise Jahre!

My German is quite rusty, but since taking it in college it has completely messed up my Capitalization in English!

2 Likes

Do all PJs have the same style neck?

1 Like

Luckily capitalization is not an issue when you are there in Germany and speak to the locals… and, as always, people so appreciate anyone making an effort to speak their native tongue - even though Germans have gotten better in English in recent years :grin:

Hope you will have a pleasant trip!

By the way, speaking of “Capitalization in English” - there are some obvious jabs to be dished out here, but since we have an unwritten rule not to touch politics in here, I won’t go there :sunglasses:

2 Likes

No. P/J basses are made by many manufacturers, not just Fender. However even for Fender I think the neck type can probably be customized on the more expensive ones.

2 Likes

“just a P” can do so much already ! :smirk: … but yeah, a PJ pickup configuration is pretty ideal, I must agree.

3 Likes

It’s true and I have certainly had a lot of fun with one in the past.

2 Likes

Thanks! Going in September (first time). Since taking German back in 89, 90, 91 I have a tendency to capitalize nouns in English – particularly at work (Information Technology). I suppose I don’t want to lose details. Though the years I have had lots of exposure to Germans, and some German bloodlines to boot.

2 Likes

This bass I received free from a friend of mine at church. His kids all played and after they grew up, he wanted it to have a good home. It’s a Crate Electra. After cleaning it up and re-stringing it, as this would be my backup bass, I figured I’d decorate it a bit. (I worked in nuclear medicine for 25+ years)

This next guitar is my first electric bass. As an adult beginner, wanted a nice instrument that was not horribly expensive. While Geddy Lee is an amazing artist (and a rare lead singing bass player), I bought this guitar for the looks and style more than the name.

8 Likes