Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I’m thinking “Glow in the dark” fret markers would be really cool on this one!!

2 Likes

I’m strongly considering outlining the Crate with LED strips. I won’t do it unless I can do it right and in a way that they will never peel off. (If it doesn’t look factory, I’ll pass). Then I could really glow in the dark!

You’re right, if I outline it, fret markers would be a must!

3 Likes

My understanding is that the difference between a P-Bass neck and a J-Bass is the nut width. I’m just wondering what I’ve got. It’s a Squier PJ, but it says very clearly on the headstock, Precision Bass.

1 Like

the J neck is also rounder usually. your Squier probably has a P-style neck, as it’s a P. but to be sure you can mesure the nut width. a P is typically 42mm wide and a J 38mm wide. more or less depending on the models.

to be clear, PJ is a pickup configuration and not a bass model. if your bass is a Precision, it’s a Precision with a PJ pickup configuration, not a “PJ bass” which does not exists.

3 Likes

What @terb said. He beat me to it.

A PJ is still a Precision bass but it has additional electronics. If you look out for it, all PJ’s just say Precision. At least, all I have ever seen. I suppose their could be an exception out there somewhere.

1 Like

a PJ is not necessarily a P. PJ just means that there is one P-style pickup and one J-style pickup, it has nothing to do with the bass model itself. don’t know how to be more clear about this.

6 Likes

Holy shit! I just learned something new. I have never seen a PJ Jazz bass before. Thanks @terb!

just an example, there are also Mustang with a PJ configuration, and a lot of other basses from different brands. the PJ configuration is pretty common in fact !

2 Likes

PJ is probably more common than P, except for Fender.

2 Likes

Hello all,

This is my first and only Bass, a Harley Benton JB-20 Left handed.
I think its probably nothing special for most (it is for me :heart_eyes:). It was cheap (close to 100€) as i didnt want to spend a huge amount before knowing more about the instrument (all that affect sounds, ergonomics, all the stuff) and music in general ( i’am a ZERO).

Its has a little buzzing/freeting noise that i find annoying, but i dont know if that’s his problem or mine :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

a little buzz is not abnormal for an instrument fitted with single coil pickups.

2 Likes

Hey Terb, I didn’t explained well probably, its more like a metalic fret noise then an actual “electrcic” buzz

For example, when I press the 1st fret of the E string, its sometimes makes that sound. In that position, the string is really really close to the 2 fret and sometimes, when I pluck just a tiny little harder, it actually touches it, making the metalic sound (atleast it is the way i see it). Sometimes, it happens on other strings too.

Not sure if it’s normal.
Thanks for the info btw. :grin:

1 Like

it’s a setup thing, I won’t say it’s an issue as my instruments (basses + guitars) all do that and I’m perfectly fine with it. the important points are : 1) is this sound only “acoustic” or does it also makes the same noise in the amplifier ? 2) do you prefer this noise or a higher action ?

Personnally I like to have a relatively low action and I don’t care about those kind of noise. but it’s very personnal, I’m not saying this is the “right way” (or the “wrong way”).

It’s more a setup choice.

2 Likes

I think its mainly acoustic.
From my low experience, i dont really know what I like regarding action (Josh talks about it in the course and a low action is what’s recomended for greens). But ye, guess i will try to ignore it for now until i get more time playing and actually know what’s up with it :+1:

Thanks for the assistance!

1 Like

Have you had the bass set up by a shop? It might just need a little more neck relief and/or a slightly higher action, like @terb said.

3 Likes

There is a beauty!

2 Likes

Hello Howard,
No, I haven’t done any setup. The closest shop its a bit off route and i dont fell confortable enought to do it my self just yet (mainly to not make it worse) :stuck_out_tongue:
Although I have been considering doing it my self, as I saw some conversation about it in another thread. :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I used to think as well, @Diogo . . . :wink:

It’s very easy to raise or lower the action; once I lowered mine a bit it was much easier to play, and although I do get a little buzzing on the E string now, I just consider it “normal”.

As @howard and @terb suggest though, it may need more than just a simple tweak in the action, but after you play for awhile you may adjust your technique and get used to it.

Do you have a tuner and have you checked the intonation on it? That’s way more important than a little fret buzz.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A few of us have linked this really excellent video by Marcelo Feldman that can easily walk you through the process if you would like to give it a shot :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m a big too keen at times, and have probably tinkered with things that I should’ve left alone - either because they didn’t need any help or because my ‘help’ wasn’t what was needed. However, although my last bass was supposedly given a set-up by the shop before I took it home, they are very much guitarists and I don’t think they did the bass much good (at least, not for me), so I watched a lot of videos, read some online instructions, checked the manufacturers specs, and made sure I have one or two tools for the job.

Taking it step by step, and not making big adjustments means that you’re not likely to break anything and you’ll get more knowledge/understanding out of doing it yourself rather than letting it disappear into the back of a shop.

The only thing you can do serious damage to (other than snapping a string) is the truss rod, but as long as you follow instructions and make tiny adjustments, you should be fine. If you aren’t comfortable with it yourself, but your nearest shop is too far away, ask around to see if there is anybody with experience locally: they don’t have to be a guitar tech to give a little advice.

5 Likes