Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Hey Joe, I do have a cliper tuner, and yes, I have checked the intonation (not sure if my tuner is that good for it) but anyway, it’s a little tiny off in some places.
The things I have pointed out dont really stop me from playing, I just think (in my unexperience way) that it could be better. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you Howard, I have seen this Mr. a way back. :grin:

1 Like

Hello Pete, I usually have the same Tinkering mindset :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I just usually want to get right on playing and if i messed something up, i would be itching for days to get back at it, before it gets fixed ofc.
But with all this encouragement, I’am thinking on doing it my self. The worst it can happen is really spend 50€ on a setup and some days off without playing if it gets too bad, haha.

PS: Sorry for the separate replies, could probably do it all in one post :exploding_head:

2 Likes

a bass is not a perfect instrument, it does not play perfectly true. it’s physically impossible if the fretwire are straight, and the strings are not all the same diameter and the same tension. a bass is pretty imperfect, we must all be OK with that. (and that’s fine, decades of music have been made with those instruments, which include the guitars … we can live with it :grin: )

so, the goal is to set up the thing to be “as true as possible”, if it makes any sense, and “as playable as possible”, because there is some compromise to do between a perfect tone and an instrument which will be easy to play. (I personnally set the cursor to the “easy to play” side ; a very very personnal choice, but I think I don’t sound too bad so I guess it’s OK, more or less). the semi-god James Jamerson used to set its action very high and used high tension strings, so he was in the “perfect tone” side. and, yes, he used to sound f*cking good. it’s a personnal choice, everyone here has to set the cursor for its needs and tastes.

also to come back to the real workd, and as you already understood, the quality of your tuner matters. a lot.

5 Likes

Well, I got a nice end of year bonus and some great discounts from Sam Ash Music and I was able to get the ESP LTD B-204SM I’ve had my eye on for a while. Lefty of course. :wink: I love it!

11 Likes

Ooh gorgeous!

4 Likes

Well, I finally got the tape measure and my Squier together. I had this weird feeling, and sure enough the nut is 1.5 inches, which comes to 38.1 mm. Definitely got a P-bass body, but the nut is Jazz width. These Squiers are just squirely…squirrelly…something like that!

4 Likes

That sounds ideal to me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow, yes, it it - love the grain in the wood!

3 Likes

Lovely. I’m a sucker for a natural wood finish on a guitar. Spalted wood is at the top of the pile, with burr/burl (depending where you’re from). I’m guessing this one is spalted ash from Sam Ash. He’s lucky his name isn’t bogwood.

3 Likes

That is just beautiful!!! And lefty… oh my :grin:

1 Like

My first bass: the “don’t buy” Ibanez Gio :rofl: I really like it though, and after tweaking the set up on it, I think it plays great for a beginner bass.

I was also just recently gifted/bribed with this beauty:

A Player series Jazz Fretless! So cool and different!

12 Likes

Nice bribe! What did the other person get?

1 Like

A browser extension (I’m a mild mannered software developer by day). I was going to do it for free, but joked that I could be bribed with that. It’s only a joke, unless the answer is yes :rofl:

5 Likes

Well played. :+1:

1 Like

Worth knowing.

I love the looks of the Orange Crush - the only amp I crave - and the matching strings are a nice touch.

2 Likes

I got the stings before the amp, but there does seem to be a theme emerging. They’re lighter guage DRs. I don’t have a ton of experience with different strings, but they seem nice. I feel like they have more grip than the ones the bass came with. They definitely don’t catch my arm hair as much!

The amp is pretty solid too. It’s just the 25w, but that’s just right for me. For now :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Haha… erm… I think.

1 Like

Woo hoo! I get to show you my (latest) bass! I’m happier than I look in that pic.

One tiny mark on the body, a tiny nick on the head, and a light scratch from a string end (nothing to be upset about), and it even has the original Yamaha manual with allen keys. It needs a little neck relief and possibly a tiny increase in action height, but almost in tune and very playable straight out of the box. Considering the low temperatures we’ve had for the days it’s been in transit, I’m impressed.

Sounds quite modern i.e. bright & punchy, but can also come way down. For that P bass tone it’ll need a little help. I’m used to flat wound strings too so these rounds will have to go before I go crazy with the scraping sounds from my lazy fingers.

12 Likes

Very nice, love the brown 504s. It’s a great look.

For a P tone try putting it in passive mode, roll the tone a lot of the way down, and roll the pickup selector most of the way to neck.

It won’t sound just like a P, but it will sound more vintage. It’s definitely a bright, modern sounding bass in general though.

5 Likes