Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Thanks. Plenty to play with. I’ll take the technical talk onto the 504 thread, but suffice to say I’m getting happier with it by the minute.

Now if only I could figure out why Garageband was recording it at half the volume that I’m used to getting, and way below what I’m hearing. In fact it’s even showing one indicator at half full, but the track volume on playback is almost inaudible, Hey ho! I’ll figure it out - I was just wanting to record some sound clips for the forum.

1 Like

Agree with @howard on the tone control @PeteP, and damn man!! Such a cool looking bass! You’ll love playing it too! One question though, did it come already strung? The reason I ask is because when I string any of my instruments, I always place the dead end of the string into the tuner after trimming off the excess waste.

2 Likes

^^ same here

3 Likes

@Lanny @howard, it was already strung. I would usually have the tail much neater than that too. I just checked my other 3 basses (THREE FFS!) and each of them has the tail through the centre - in fact I’m sure that’s where they start the wind-on. I’ve got a set of new flats somewhere, so that will be a job for later today, tonight or tomorrow (when my wife is working at an exhibition and staying overnight).

4 Likes

Hi all. Long time fan of Bass and I finally took the plunge and bought a used Yamaha RBX (P Bass style) from a private party through a local mom and pop music store. I also bought a small Peavy practice amp.
I’ve watched a ton of Josh’s videos on You Tube and I’m still getting used to holding the bass and my left hand properly

3 Likes

Welcome to the forums @miller218.

I saw a couple of RBX models for sale privately and was tempted by the prices but ultimately found a TRBX504 for a good price and decided to go with the newer option. If I’d found a bargain BB434 I probably would’ve taken a gamble on that instead.

1 Like

Hi everyone! After a year or more thinking about it I have decided that my love for the bass might be real so here is my new roomie:

I will probably have a look at the beginner course so you will see me on the forums soon again.

10 Likes

Welcome @TheBronx. Nice looking bass.

For what it’s worth, I think the course is the best value around and Josh has a great methodology and personal manner. I looked at a few before signing up and I’m so glad I did.

2 Likes

Thank you @PeteP, yours looks fantastic too, that brown with black is really classy. And is probably lighter but as a fan of Marcus Miller (who isn’t? right?) I had no choice with mine :grin:

I have been following Scott Devine for almost a year but found Josh videos recently and I really like him. He seems to be a really good teacher. Hopefully I can have some fun while learning how to play cause that’s what matters!

5 Likes

I just started a couple of weeks ago. It’s well worth it. Have fun and enjoy the journey with your new roomie.

5 Likes

Hail @TheBronx! Welcome to the forums and Bass Buzz. Just had to post this… one of my favorite current punk bands (from LA) also called…
The Bronx

2 Likes

@TheBronx What model is that?

@Gio what a coincidence!

@eric.kiser it is a Sire V7 second generation: https://www.thomann.de/es/marcus_miller_v7_swamp_ash_4_ts_2nd_gen.htm

2 Likes

The 2nd gen are supposed to have amazing neck work. I would love to play one but I haven’t been able to find any place that caries them around Georgia.

There aren’t many places where you can get one. I had to buy mine on Thomann (Germany) even though I live in Spain. Fortunately they ship anywhere in Europe.
The other online store I know that works with Sire basses is Andertons, in the UK.
No idea about the other side of the Atlantic, that is Fender territory uh?

Both stores had Marcus Miller in person playing and giving a master class while presenting the new generation last summer (Marcus Miller Bass Clinic | Live from Thomann - YouTube and Marcus Miller Shows Off His Bass Range! - Sire's Best Basses Yet? - YouTube). Such a cool guy.

@eric.kiser The neck, yeah the frets are rounded on the edges, so it is quite smooth but I have nothing to compare with.

1 Like

Hi Everyone!
My gear is not as exotic as some of the basses I’ve seen here, but they work for me. The one on the right is a Hamer Slammer Series that I got about 20 years ago when I tried to teach myself before the Internet. When I started Josh’s course last June, I had it setup at the local Guitar Center and the tech seemed impressed with it. He said it was real easy to play. Not knowing easy from difficult at the time, I took his word for it. The bass on the left I’ve had for about 13 years and purchased it from Overstock.com. It’s a Lyon by Washburn LB40 model. I took it with me to Hawaii on a business trip years ago and just recently got it back. I have a Fender Rumble 15 amp to plug into, as well as an old Crate BX15. I use the Fender mostly because the Crate doesn’t have an aux input for the computer.
If anyone knows any more on these two basses, I would love to hear about it (positive or negative).
Jerry

6 Likes

Looks like a great combo, @JerryP! . . . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had a really rough year last year for many reasons and decided to spoil myself with a nice bass (and my wife told me to). I have now ordered a Suhr Classic J. I was debating between this, Sadowsky, Sandberg Custom, Lakland, or Fender Custom Shop. I went with the Suhr because it’s got incredibly good reviews with some people saying it’s the best bass they’ve ever played. I prefer traditional style passive basses and don’t like cut-outs on the back of a bass. I also go for the 60s jazz bass type sound. So it just ticked all the boxes for me. Below is a link and a video of the one I’m getting. I’m getting the traditional sunburst as I like to see the woodgrain. These are all made by hand in Suhr’s workshop in California. Suhr has an excellent reputation and used to be a senior master builder in Fender’s Custom Shop amongst other things. Unfortunately for me, I won’t actually have it until Christmas time because of the backlog they have. Something nice to look forward to though and I don’t mind waiting for a high quality instrument. This also means I haven’t been able to demo it as it is built to order and out of stock everywhere (at least in the UK). However, it’s just a really nice J Bass clone, so I know what to expect anyway. Going from a Squier Affinity to this will be quite a leap! :laughing: Most likely combine this with the new Orange Bass Butler to give it more cut and distortion when I need it.

5 Likes

That’s a great-looking choice, @JT . . . :+1:

Sounds really nice, too! :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes