Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I am loving that.
I think it is th oolest P/J bass I have ever seen.
Of course B.C. Rihana’s has Mae some cool P / and / or double P assea the kid ass took ut the is something else. I love the whole online of ht body, eery last curve and detail are something else, awesome baaa my friend.
I mua ad the body bas color is really cook, but it is extra awesome with the body color on the edges and how it tapers up to meet the black face.

3 Likes

I’ve seen “clank” mentioned a few times here, but I have no idea what it is! Anyone care to enlighten me?

4 Likes

Thanks man. I think it’s pretty cool too, and loving how light it is. 7.5 pounds is all.

Tomorrow I do a setup. The strings are a little bit buzzy; to be expected there is some shift.

4 Likes

Thanks @MC-Canadastan :laughing:

7 Likes

Steve Harris’ signature tone is in part due to his plucking style, which consists of him striking the strings largely downwards (more like the hammer on a piano) than a typical brush across the string. This causes the string to bounce off the frets producing an audible “clank” sound before the main note rings out. It’s a combination of his strings (heavy flats), hot pickups, super low action and plucking technique. A similar thing happens when you slap a string with the thumb.

@JoshFossgreen explains this in the following video, which is coincidentally the vid that introduced me to B2B, got me playing bass at 47 and caused me to join this forum.

12 Likes

Thanks @MC-Canadastan, I take it this is very different from the strings rattling on the fretboard on a poorly setup bass!

5 Likes

Yes, about 1/4 turn on the saddle height screws different :sweat_smile:

The way I finally got this setup is that on this particular bass I stopped playing the numbers game. I shimmed the neck so that it sits higher in the pocket, I then cranked the truss rod so that without tension it’s actually slightly back of flat. With tension (and these strings are high tension bridge cables) it’s dead straight. I then set my saddles as low as I dared (bottomed out on the E), and went up 1/4 turn at a time until I lost fret buzz. Probably not the pro way to do it, but it got the job done.

5 Likes

I don’t think that’s a bad way to do it at all. I’ve heard some “pro’s” say this is exactly how they do it too in several YouTube videos. I use a notched straight edge tool to get the neck relief exactly where I like it (Not totally flat, but close). The set my string height around low to med-low. But I tend to have a very heavy hand so if i go to low it can be an issue if I get too over zealous while really digging in. But as long as it’s comfortable for you, sounds like you want it to… There isn’t a “wrong” way to do it (unless your neck looks like Robin Hoods bow). Some people prefer a high action too, to each their own.

Chris

6 Likes

John Campbell on his signature Stream… it’s a good video though

3 Likes

Got a link to the vid?

3 Likes

It’s in the Josh vid you posted, right after Josh says John Campbell Lamb of God when he talks about picks.

There’s John with his stream

5 Likes

Can you guess what type of music I like the best?!?I love this Kramer D-1. Great specs for a mid range bass. I’m very happy with it. Plus, it’s cat approved! Matches my white shoes ;). Thanks for looking.

17 Likes

Metal- I’m a metal head myself. Jinjer, Meshuggah, OTEP, Opeth, Broken Hope, Death etc…

4 Likes

That D-1 is a striking looking axe. Very sleek lines.

4 Likes

Thank you!

5 Likes

Nice!

4 Likes

Came today…love it! Still need to change the strings to flat wound, but it thumps! :rofl:

22 Likes

You will have to let me know what you think, I still have the factory round wounds on mine. I am too cheap to replace before the ones that came with it are spent!

14 Likes

Will do!

I prefer flat wounds and already have a few new sets laying around, so I’ll be changing them out soon.

6 Likes

Nice. That’s one of my favorite finishes for a Fender.

(and Fender rounds are like cheese graters to my fingers - they always come off quick)

6 Likes