6 Likes

Maybe you should send them to @terb for his Greenie bass :crazy_face:

6 Likes

That’s a nice looking bass!

4 Likes

14 Likes

They’re DR strings.

7 Likes

Thanks EddieJones & papkerry! haha yeahh… that pic didnt really work as intended… &does no justice to the gorgeous paint job on the MIM Fender J that I unintentionally brought home from GC last week. Im new… just getting into Mod.6 of B2B, sincerely diggin the course and doing my best to keep my distance from the inevitable “G.A.S” …i was only there to grab a new set of strings, but she was just sooo pretty

4 Likes

She finally got here

I’ve only played her about 90 minutes, so only some first thought.

• Steve Harris strings are zingy for flats. Plenty of highs.

• Dissapointed in the SJB bridge pickup. Missing the growl, even when rolled back on it.

• Steve Harris pickup is nice, I may just roll onto it and call it a day.

• Love the neck. It’s a P neck in width, which is okay. Profile is a custom profile for this bass line; it has a nice curve so it is comfortable in your hand, but it’s not deep like a P bass and it just is super comfortable to hold and play.

• Okoume must be a light wood, becuase the body is so light compared to the neck. But sitting or standing, hanve not notice any neck dive

• I need a longer strap. My Anthology holds it too high up for real comfort

This is a really nice bass and really comfortable to play. I am in love with the neck, it just sits so nicely in your hand. And no strain to fret notes for having a wide nut width. Put through the B3k it really rocks. the body is an odd shape but you really don’y notice it much when playing, it’s like a Stream where you can rest your forearm across the top. The fit and finish is really nice, it has a nice black binding which is kind of lost due to the stain coloration, it more or less blends in.

The B3k is nice too. It has a lot of interesting sounds in it. I’m ready to do a metal cover.

The Peterson Strobostomp is built like a tank. When powered through a brick, it reads the notes played continuously, which I was not expecting. The Korg shuts off when not in tune mode. The Peterson is always on; the Korg turns off when you take it out of tune mode. It comes with it’s own piece of velcro already cut and fitted perfectly.

So my bass lineup - what I have figured out

MDB - Rock/Metal monster
Dark Queen - Black Charvel 60s vintage/Motown with an edge if wanted
Blu - Mysrtic Blue Charvel. Going to restring it with rounds and will be for popping/slapping and all around funk

paranormal - Jazz things

Stream - All rounder. Going to replace the neck pickup and turn this intop a double humbucker

18 Likes

Playing the Dark Queen again, and just learned Stand by Me, and it has a nice fat tone and lovely harmonics, then play it on the MDB, and it is crisp and clean, and punchy. Two completely different voices, both lovely.

5 Likes

Do you find the Steve Harris strings hard on the fingers to play? I love them, but I can’t play more than 30 minutes, super high tension, and the P-bass they’re on has a really uncomfortable neck.

Spoilt by Peaveys, I guess.

3 Likes

I don’t find them hard at all; they’re quite easy to play. This neck has a great shape like I mentioned, the frets are medium and easy to fret, doesn’t take a lot of pressure, and Sweetwater did a great setup. I was worried about the tension but did not notice really.

4 Likes

You can change that if you wish. There is a little switch in the battery compartment. You can select Monitor (what you’re in now), True Bypass or Buffered Bypass.

One thing that took me some time to get used to was that when you turn it on (by plugging something into the input jack) it always goes to mute mode, regardless of what it was when powered down.

I can see why this is a Good Thing, but it would embarrass me to admit how many times I’ve been trying to figure out why I’m getting no sound before I noticed the little red indicator light.

5 Likes

I think Anthology offers extra lengths tangs for the Reticent strap. Not sure, though. Could be worth checking out if you want to dedicate your Reticent to your new bass.

3 Likes

I do want to dedicate a strap to it. I think it hangs oddly because the buttons are in unusual positions - well at least the one on the nameplate is.

5 Likes

Thanks @RuknRole !

4 Likes

Interesting interview with Steve Harris. Link below the section about strings:

You use flatwound strings, and yet you’re known for a bright, trebly sound. It’s a bit of a contradiction.

It is. The unfortunate part is that I have to change strings every gig. It’s because I sweat so much onstage that they just go dead. That might happen with roundwounds as well, but having said that, the flatwounds also stop all the screeching when you’re playing quieter, slower stuff. And that’s one of the reasons I stopped playing roundwounds—the screeching, and also chopping your fingers up a bit. I love the flatwounds. It’s not for everyone, I suppose. They’re such a heavy gauge that they tend to bow the neck unless you have a really solid neck, like I have.

9 Likes

Fortunately, the neck of the bass I have them on was designed for heavier gauge strings than this, so I should be okay.

But his strings are quite zingy

4 Likes

Yes. They are, especially with his signature pups which are zingier than the ordinary :hamburger: :hamburger: .

Coincidentally, I re-setup my P-bass with the Steve Harris pups and strings on it. I gave it some truss rod crank to straighten the neck and adjusted the action lower. I’m now able to get consistent clank without digging in really hard, and it’s easier to fret. I started working on “The Trooper” over the weekend.

6 Likes

This is for you, @JerryP :

https://youtu.be/76yAo3aHPmM

11 Likes

Reminds me of Slimer!

8 Likes

That is an expensive joke considering the price of flats :sweat_smile:

3 Likes