Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

v2

Also also… i’ve come to learn that it’s by design, it has a purpose and i can now rest knowing that someone at the factory isn’t pocketing every other pup and replacing it with a cheaper piece knowing i wouldn’t know the difference hahahaha!! …yeah, my mind went there, the struggle is real :laughing:
Photo and knowledge credit to @Paul

4 Likes

Fender Bass VI?

3 Likes

Vmod II sound great on the P, but I am going to upgrade the ones on the J. Mostly because they are single coil and I would like a little more punch out of that bass. I keep these at my office, so it is difficult to blow the dust off!! I really need to show these two a little more love.

11 Likes

@Barney i think you know my collection better than me. Lol.

The fun part is the upgrades. Which I have had for months waiting patiently.

8 Likes

4 Likes

Hell Yeahh!! That’s the mercury finish i’ve been raving about!
And the dark night was the other color i was lookin at :+1:
That’s good news too about the sound of the vmods for sure, thanks

3 Likes

@jason74 My Jazz bass has the same adjustment spot. You do not have to loosen the neck screws to adjust it and using the Fender tool provided I’ve never had to removed the pickguard either.

Can anyone speak to why putting the truss rod at the base instead of the headstock is supposed to be better? My impression is it’s as much a marketing thing as anything else.

2 Likes

I hear ya… and i’m sure its possible to make that adjustment without doing it the “hard way” like they had to way back when, without causing any damage… it’s also possible for some people to change the old dish pan air filters without dropping the wing nut into the carburetor, but that’s not how things like this play out for me hahaha!!
I stay to the “hard right” over the “easy wrong” 99/100 because that 1 time bites me in the ass every time, that’s me tho hahaha!!

1 Like

Don’t know about better.
Just know it’s how it all started so a lot of vintage reproductions did it too for tradition sake.

2 Likes

The shell pink bass vi?

2 Likes

Yes. About a month early actually.

The Sandman 2-string bass is currently 2 months late with no delivery date yet from Mr Guns and Guitars.
I’m in no rush so I’m not really pressing for it either.

2 Likes

Here’s the latest (and largest) addition to my music room:

It’s a 2013 Eastman that I bought for a very low price from a gal who had played it in her high school orchestra for 4 years and is now attending college in California. She has switched to piano and sold her bass to me along with a padded backpack style gig bag, stand, two French bows, and an assortment of odds and ends. The strings on the bass are upgraded to Flexocor Deluxe, which are very high-quality strings.
She seems to have taken good care of her instrument, as it looks brand new. and it sounds incredible when I played it either pizzicato or arco.
I couldn’t resist!

20 Likes

@eric.kiser usually dont have to loosen the strings to adjust at the base of the neck like you do when the adjustment is at the headstock. Lot of string tension up there.

2 Likes

That’s cool @PamPurrs .
How does it sound?

3 Likes

It sounds incredible. I played it pizzicato (plucking) and it sounded great, and then arco (bow) and it also sounded great.

Within 10 minutes I knew I was going to buy it.

6 Likes

Huge congrats on this one @PamPurrs !!!
That’s awesome!!!
Can’t wait to hear your first tune on it.

What a cool add to your collection.

6 Likes

I’m already laying the groundwork for the cover I want to do on it.

6 Likes

Sounds great @PamPurrs
Just out of curiosity, how difficult is it to play? And, do you think playing it would help you master a fretless bass really quickly?
Sorry for all the questions

4 Likes

I’m sure it would. In my case I played a fretless bass guitar first, but since one is horizontal and the other is vertical, muscle memory has to be retrained.

4 Likes

Grats on the new bass it looks amazing! I’m guessing the one to the right is electric? Do you notice a lot of differences between those two in clean tone?

3 Likes