Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

cool thanks :+1: I’d read conversations here about the pole pieces being set uneven, where they aren’t at the same height, closer to the A or D string/following the neck radius, but i hadn’t noticed any about one set being beveled and the other not beveled… thought it was funny they didnt match

3 Likes

I have had similar… and others also. See, for example here:

3 Likes

Cool, im gonna check that out, thanks

2 Likes

Naaw… that’s not what im seeing. Its not that one is more exposed than another. What im wondering about with mine is that one set is beveled & the other isn’t

4 Likes

Ah, OK, I thought it was a bit of both! Sorry no idea what is going on with the beveling… :flushed:

4 Likes

Me either hahaha

4 Likes

That is actually the V-Mod II Precision Pickup series. I got the I series which doesn’t have that difference in poles but the II series do. They are supposed to have a bit more punch compared to the previous version. So you don’t have to worry about that anymore @jason74 :slightly_smiling_face:

As for the nut it seems to me that the outside seems a bit round but I do see some angles inside. I got something similar with my Am P bass (even the dent on the pickguard) but I can still do rod adjustments. I know that the Am Pro II come with a truss rod tool (the one with the red handle). You should check if you actually have grip and can turn the rod, because for all we know the nut is working properly and it’s just the outside of the nut that is fooling us? If not it’s pretty clear to me you should get a replacement.

6 Likes

Awesome! Thank you! I appreciate the knowledge & if i can turn the truss rod any of the other extremely minor aesthetic blemishes will be irrelevant to me once i fall in love with the sound, which honestly is why i havent plugged it in yet… i didnt wanna bond with it if i cant adjust the nut & have to send it back

4 Likes

Im not sold on the T handled allen wrench it came with tho, it doesn’t seem to me that that ball end would get much grip even on an unscathed and perfectly angled hex hole. I think they include that type to go with the cut out so we could make the adjustments, the easy way/ without taking the neck or pick guard off? But the dented pick guard and mangled truss hole on mine looks to me to be the result of not doing it the hard/right way… or at least pulling the neck bolts & strings & tilting the neck back out of the pocket far enough to get a clean shot and a solid grip with the tool that fits.
I wonder why Fender doesn’t slap on an adjustment wheel like my sub $300 Stingray, those are so much more convenient lol!!
Keepin it vintage? hahah

3 Likes

The angled Allen wrench did work for my modern Fender basses. You could try removing the pickguard for better access and use a default allen wrench for more grip ofc.

That wheel is a nice addition yeah, it’s mostly a design decision imo, lots of fine brands do it like Fender. Personally I think having access on top is the way to go. I mean… I rarely touch my truss rod, maybe once in 2 years because I don’t have much temperature fluctuations over here. :smiley:

Actually looking at my vintage bass and it just has a huge screwdriver rod. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah! That screwdriver rod looks like a pita for sure.
I’m gonna adjust it the neck off hard way this first time and I’m sure it will make me appreciate my Squire with that headstock access even more.
I’ve been wondering how frequently I’ll need to take the neck bolts out and how many times you can get away with that before needing to jam toothpicks into the holes to keep em tight.
this model says it has graphite rods in the neck and I imagine they might help minimize the frequency of truss rod adjustments?

3 Likes

Did you get it at a store?

Sometimes the doors in the stores use instruments for lessons (the instructor picks a bass off the wall to use) and in the process some blemishes exist (like the ding in the pickguard near the nut). Other blemishes are from people handling etc. even sweetwater has this issue as they have a showroom but they normally will discount these as demos.

I have a MIM P with a scratch on the pickguard near the nut from the doors in the store setting up the bass - wrongly. You really need to loosen the neck (loosen neck bolts - 80% back/~30% front) and angle it to adjust the truss rod properly without risking damage to the pickguard. Ya they scoop out a place for adjustment but it’s never really enough to not risk damage.

You should sent pics to who you bought it from and ask for a bit of a discount or return it if it bugs you too much.

1 Like

Sorry for the dust, but mine are the same as you describe. The pickguard/nut would be enough for me to send it back though…

3 Likes

After an 8 month wait…

Oooh the suspense is killing me…

7 Likes

You’ve forgotten what it is right?

6 Likes

My guess is Squier Bass VI

3 Likes

At the risk of being called a lyre, I’d guess it’s a lute.

6 Likes

I bought it from Sweetwater, i hear nothing but good things about their customer service and im gonna reach out to em after lunch. I did get a pretty kickass deal ($250 off list) and they thru in a bag of candy and a 3" wide Levy’s strap :+1:
They didn’t say anything about it being a demo or a loaner or anything like that and come to think of it, they didn’t even offer the discount until i asked if they’d do a Military discount. It’s a no go on the Mil dscnt at Sweetwater btw, if anyone is curious, But… $250 off is $250 off, be it for Military, floor demo, practice, or just for my charming personality and winning smile :crazy_face:
Also I totally agree with making the adjustment the right way and i’m convinced that the pick guard ding and truss nut damage is a result of someone tryin to take a shortcut

3 Likes

Whatd’ya get whatd’ya get??

3 Likes

Are those the vmods too? If so how do they sound? I still haven’t plugged mine in… and knowing that by saying this i’ll expose my inner hypocrite, but i hear if you bang on the strings more the vibrations will knock the dust off :metal: :laughing: :metal:

2 Likes