Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Thunderbirds are gooooo!!

7 Likes

Ooo noice! Hmmm - I wonder if that pickup cover is standard? Probably not if Lemmy :wink:

Actually @Mac , it might be a modified bridge cover… I can feel my GAS throbbing…

https://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/parts/bridge/GibsonBridgeCover.php

4 Likes

Sorry :joy:

5 Likes

I’ve ordered another heavily padded one. The one thing I don’t like about the Thunderbird is that I can’t put strap locks on it…the screws are larger than the other basses. The strap I ordered is the same one I use on the Mikro and the SR370E.

5 Likes

No problem :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That’s what I love about this forum. Not only are there tons of helpful people always willing to aid you in emptying your wallet, there is always a supportive soul quite willing to show you how to void your warranty :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

How about that… @MC-Canadastan is right…sometimes I don’t know what we’d do without everyone on here.

6 Likes

I like to cut the ends of the toothpick off, cut the length I need, and split the toothpick in half (lengthwise). This way the screw has material to bite on both sides. Solid as a rock!

9 Likes

You can also add more than one toothpick. I’ve done that before. Just keep stuffing ‘em in and tap them down lightly with a hammer. I use wood glue to make everything solid. Works like a champ.

8 Likes

I wanted a sitting-on-the-couch bass and went with an acoustic bass. This one is a problem. With its super short scale and floppy strings, it is significantly easier to play than a “real“ bass, which in some ways is kind of like cheating.

Sounds pretty, looks pretty, and plays like a dream.

It’s a Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Bass. I paid a bit extra for the Koa for the dumbest reason. I already have a Taylor Academy acoustic guitar, and I didn’t want my acoustic bass to look identical to my guitar.

18 Likes

That’s really nice, love how the wood looks on the body.

4 Likes

Remember this beauty? I got it a bit over a week ago. Well, it went back for all the right reasons, even though I hated to see it go.

Long story very short, the fit wasn’t right for me. While the neck had a 1.55" nut - which I definitely wanted - and it was modernly-slim, my fretting hand just didn’t work as well with its 12" fingerboard radius as I expected.

I could definitely play the bass, but I did miss the arched-strings radius of my 9.5" bass.

So I sent it back. No harm, no foul, no charge.

Don’t get me wrong: This Sandberg is a beautiful instrument. And in the right hands (hand) it is a stone-cold keeper.

But I have another special and different bass headed my way to take its place, and I’m really excited to see it in a couple of weeks.

Ah, the circle of (bass) life.

7 Likes

The boss cracked down and made you send it back huh? :yum:

Just kidding! Sorry it didn’t work out! Good deal on the return policy. Where did you buy from?

7 Likes

That’s the cool thing about my bass adventures: I don’t have to beg/cajole/apologize to anyone. I am the master of my own bass domain, so to speak.

I ordered the Sandberg from soundpure.com. Their customer service is excellent, plus they were the only vendor around that actually had a Sandberg California II VA Passive in stock. Everyone else was pre-order only, and for multi-months out. That was a non-starter for me.

As for the bass, I did have an issue with some required case candy that was missing from the gig bag. Both pockets on the bag were fully unzipped when I took the bass out of the shipping box. So, I didn’t have the hex wrenches I needed to adjust the truss rod or the bridge. Not cool.

And Sandberg bridges are their own proprietary design, with lots of adjustment screws. I didn’t realize how comparatively complex a process it was to adjust a Sandberg bridge. It made me miss the simplicity of a Fender-type bridge.

Anyway, Sound Pure has a “Try Before You Buy” policy and all worked out well.

6 Likes

The walnut Aerodyne has arrived, and aside from the divot in the back it looks so new it could pass for unplayed. Mint all around. Clean up, Fender CS ‘60s pickups and new strings going on this weekend.
That divot made it $813 delivered to my door which is crazy low for these rare basses and even crazier as this color is the hardest to find of them all.

Family shot coming soon….

21 Likes

Here is the beauty that’s coming my way.

An EBMM Cutlass in mint condition.

20 Likes

My 2 basses.
Ibanez GSR200B 4 string (brown)
Ibanez SR405QM 5 string (black)

The 4 string is nice and light…the 5 string is heavy…

11 Likes

Nice! I would love to get a Cutlass.

6 Likes

Thanks, @joeike. I really lucked out snagging this one. Thanks to @Al1885 for his great advice as I negotiated the deal. :+1:

6 Likes

You know it’s funny I was thinking what I want to put on that bass when you PM me. I’m glad and sad at the same time. Lol.

She’s a beauty!

7 Likes